White Star Olympic Class ships- Post 'em if you've got 'em.

• You cannot reply to this topic
41 replies to this topic

#21 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,709 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

You do realize that the Olympic and Titanic had differences. The Titanic was heavier. Also, the promanade decks between the two were different. If you want to model the Brittanic, your biggest problem is going to be the new lifeboat davits. Furthermore, if my memory is still good, the lifeboats were motorized. At least some of them were. I would really check some references. I'm just going off of memory, here.

RYAN.

Yes- heavier in tonnage, but the same dimensions. The differences between Titanic and Britannic would consist of the promenade deck (as you mentioned) and of course more lifeboats. The davits on Britannic were unique to it- I'm still figuring out a way to duplicate those. The Britannic was 2 feet wider as well, but on this scale that wouldn't be noticable.

#22 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

Not to get to far off topic, but have you ever watched the Titanic/Olimpic therory? I think you can watch it on youtube....pretty interesting.

A bit unrelated, but part of the Titanic/Olympic history- the newsreel footage you've seen of the Titanic's departure from Southampton? It is actually footage of the Olympic. If you look, you'll see that the names of the tugboats have been scratched off on the film, and the name of the ship is never visible in the footage.

#23 moparmagiclives

moparmagiclives

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Full Name:Shane Moore

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

I can't say I'm suprized, but has anyone heard of the people hearing about the anniversary and saying "you mean the boat from the movie? It was real?" and its not just the youngins that are saying this. Kinda makes you wonder.

...and on a side note, did you know you can buy a Haynes manual for the Titanic ???

Edited by moparmagiclives, 15 April 2012 - 07:42 AM.

#24 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

Wish that suprised me, but it doesn't. A lot of people think the Edmund Fizgerald was just a song, as well. <_<
I've seen the Haynes manual- they have one for the Enterprise from Star Trek too!

#25 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,371 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

Harry, if you can handle Pocher kits, that kit will be no problem for you. Don't think it's anymore difficult because it's a ship kit. It's a model kit, no different than anything else you've done in the past.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Everything on this model was brush painted... If I can get these types of results, any semi-talented builder can too. Take your time, be patient and feel free to PM me with any questions you might have.

The next Olympic Class I build will be the Britannic. I have a 1/350 Minicraft Titanic that's missing a few parts that will be perfect for this conversion.

Looks great! I see you used the PE railings (does the kit give you the option to use either plastic railings or PE ones? I'll have to check the box, I seem to remember that it gives you the choice).

#26 Agent G

Agent G

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Gray

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:34 AM

The best advice I ever received regarding ships, is to build it "up and out".

PE rails are some of the best looking additions, yet attaching them drives me crosseyed.

G

#27 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,371 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

Today is the 100th anniversary of the sinking.

#28 Wagoneer81

Wagoneer81

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Eddy.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

Looks great! I see you used the PE railings (does the kit give you the option to use either plastic railings or PE ones? I'll have to check the box, I seem to remember that it gives you the choice).

Thanks, Harry!

I believe the plastic railings are still in the updated kit but they look pretty cheesy when compared to the PE offerings. This was the first ship that I used PE detail on and I built her box stock so everything you see in the pics came from the updated kit.

#29 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,452 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:36 AM

If you really want to see a Titanic scale model, there are at least two replicas in the planning that will be close to 3/4 scale, perhaps larger, for passenger cruising. One is being built by the owners of the Titanic museums in Pigeon Forge near me, and in Branson, Mo.

Another one is scheduled to launch in 2016:

http://www.wtsp.com/...Titanic-replica

As you can see, the Titanic Museum just includes a replica of the front half; it does include a full-scale (supposedly) Grand Staircase.

Posted Image

Edited by sjordan2, 05 May 2012 - 07:54 AM.

#30 moparmagiclives

moparmagiclives

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:00 PM

Didn't some guy just announce he was going to build a full scale replica and recreate the trip across the Atlantic. Not quite sure I understand why ??? How many more ocean liners do we need?

Never mind, just noticed Skips link.

Edited by moparmagiclives, 06 May 2012 - 12:03 PM.

#31 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,371 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:31 PM

Didn't some guy just announce he was going to build a full scale replica and recreate the trip across the Atlantic.

That's fine... just don't include the iceberg part of the trip! :lol:

#32 moparmagiclives

moparmagiclives

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:55 PM

That's fine... just don't include the iceberg part of the trip! :lol:

Global warming...... Let's just hope the wifi holds out the whole trip...

#33 12bridge

12bridge

Looker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

Didn't some guy just announce he was going to build a full scale replica and recreate the trip across the Atlantic. Not quite sure I understand why ??? How many more ocean liners do we need?

Never mind, just noticed Skips link.

Theres only a handful of real liners left..Cruise ships dont count.

#34 Jairus

Jairus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts
  • Full Name:Jairus

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:36 PM

I am member of the Titanic-titanic.com forum. Have been since 1210, tho I rarely go there anymore. (What else is there to discuss?) But what IS interesting is the modelers who show up from time to time and show off their work. There is even one builder who has built a very detailed rear section of the ship as it now sits on the bottom. Now THAT was mind blowing considering all the destruction that went on during the sinking and implosion that took place.

Near as I can remember the only outward differences between Olympic and Titanic were the totally open promenade on the Olympic vs the partially closed deck on the Titanic. The Britannic also had a large structure constructed on the Aft "poop" deck once the ship was converted to a hospital duties during the First world war. And of course the aforementioned "derrick" style lifeboat davits.

#35 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,371 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

I am member of the Titanic-titanic.com forum. Have been since 1210...

Geez, you're a lot older than I thought...

#36 Jairus

Jairus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts
  • Full Name:Jairus

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

Hmm... been typing too fast as well. :lol:

#37 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

1210? And people thought Morgan Robertson was amazing for 'fortelling' the disaster in 1898? You guys knew it was going to happen 702 years before the fact!
:lol:

#38 Lovefordgalaxie

Lovefordgalaxie

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Full Name:Túlio Lazzaroni

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:25 PM

I'm also without courage to start my Academy Minicraft Titanic. I have the Revell 1/570 kit that came with an 1/1200 kit also included in the box. This one is also unbuilt. Back in 1994, or so, I built one 1/570 Revell kit, and remember having trouble with the fit of some parts, the two halves of the main hull in special. Anyway, I bought a second Revell to modify and build like a Olympic replica, but the Olympic from before April of 1912, with the standard amount of lifeboats, because after the Titanic, the Old Faithful was given a bunch of lifeboats more, just like they did to the Brittanic.

This is my old build Titanic:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#39 deja-view

deja-view

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Full Name:ken koester

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:42 AM

OH MY! :0

I have seen a Titanic rigging done with brass and steel rod. Is that cheating?

#40 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,371 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:11 AM

OH MY! :0

I have seen a Titanic rigging done with brass and steel rod. Is that cheating?

Not cheating. Some guys do ship rigging (and WWI plane rigging) that way. It's just a matter of personal preference.