Anybody thought of doing this in resin?(towtruck)

• You cannot reply to this topic
24 replies to this topic

#21 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:16 AM

http://chevy.oldcarm...truck/index.htm Here's some more research material you might find handy

#22 ARTEMIS1759

ARTEMIS1759

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Full Name:TJ Bender

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:26 AM

Looks pretty easy to do in resin but who would buy it? I'm always on the lookout for ideas for new products to make in resin but am currently stumbling around in the dark when it comes to Model Car stuff. This one looks like a straightforward one to Master but where in the heck would ya get the correct dimensions? The wheels would be a problem though.

I am working on building the whole body and possibly casting my own wheels if you would be interested in molds for them. I plan to accurately detail the truck so I could tell you what accessories I built or bought to do it.

Generally I think the wheels were 18.5 or 19.5" which I could find out. I was actually looking for the model with the yellow wheels but could not figure out who made it because I knew they were more accurate. I also knew it was a 4100 series truck. Which has the same body as a regular pickup but HD running gear and frame.

Also I was thinking that most trucks used a twin holmes boom setup that I see unless it was scratch built. There were other companies but holmes seemed to be the most popular. I had to put the truck on the back burner though for another build. The holmes setup is very similar to the ones on the pics. If you get any of this finished PM me so I won't have to scratch build so much :P

Edited by ARTEMIS1759, 22 April 2012 - 10:35 AM.

#23 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

The Danbury Mint tow truck (the one with the yellow wheels) is a 3800 series 1 ton, note the 8 lug wheels and standard truck doghouse. The 4100 was a 1 1/2 ton, and would have the wider front fenders, longer hood, and 5 lug front and 10 lug rear 20" wheels.

#24 Scorpius1

Scorpius1

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Full Name:Robbie Bailey

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:19 AM

Thanks for the updates Guys, looks like this will be a longer project than I thought but a fun one none the less. I'm still gathering info and took a good long look at the large scale Opel Blitz kit. It's starting to look like the Blitz parts aren't going to work very well.

#25 Bugace

Bugace

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Full Name:Tor Henning Ertsland Engen

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:02 AM

If searching for a Blitz, try Model Empire.
Consider the amount of parts You could use from that kit, it will not be much more expencive then a resincasting.
Also RMR might help with wheels.
Posted Image

Edited by Bugace, 01 May 2012 - 05:03 AM.