#1 Grumpa

Grumpa

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Full Name:Mark D. Cassidy

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:43 AM

This diorama was built to house a Franklin Mint '69 Camaro, and given to my son as a 2008 Christmas gift. As the diecast was a gift as well, I felt that it needed something a little nicer than an AMT display case to display it in. I didn't actually finish it until June of '09, but he did get what the first few test shots show, and a Baggie of wood to go along with it. He's been kind enough to let me borrow it a few times to display at a couple of shows.

I started with an "IMEX", 1/18th scale display case as the inside dimensions are just right for a 1/25th scale garage of this type. The first two photos show the doll house siding that was used and some testing of stain, paint and weathering. As an inch in 1/25th scale equals .04166 everything is pretty much to scale.

There are 181 pieces of distressed, stained, and or painted pieces of wood contained in the structure, and 129 pieces of 1/16, .020 chemicaly blackened brass wire to simulate nails. Each "nail" was touched with the head of a Dremel and flatened out to give a "nail head" appearance. I owe this technique to Chuck Doan.

The tool box, shelving, jack, and a few other details were pulled from the Fujimi garage tool kit. Other details were acquired from some of the great resin casters out there. A great deal of the details had to be scratch built using brass, wood, and several other materials.

Coming from the model train hobby, and having built everything from "N" scale to 1/4", as well as a 1" scale doll house and furniture. I had become very familiar with suppliers of just about everything, but after a thirty-six year hiatus from building model cars. I was amazed at how much this world had changed and what was available to the modeler, but nobody makes a 1/25th scale "Budweiser" can so that I had to do that myself. Oh well!

Some of the manufacturers that were used were. Doll House Miniatures, Northeastern Scale Models, Kappler Mill & Lumber Co., K & S Brass, Fujimi, Grandt Line, Ozark Miniatures, Jim's Printable Mini's, Evergreen Styrene, and several others lost to memory. The internet was used extensivly to pull signs and such. Including the January 2009 issue of Playboy. See if you can find it. Oh, I forgot, "Q-Tips". These were used to pull fibers from to duplicate "cob-webs". Another Chuck Doan idea.

Hopefully I haven't bored you with too much detail.

I hope that you enjoy "Can't Wait".
Attached File  Garage 015.jpg   720.18KB   65 downloads test shot Attached File  garage 012.jpg   487.49KB   76 downloads test shotAttached File  Garage 020.jpg   508.55KB   73 downloads test shot Attached File  garage 014.jpg   855.29KB   80 downloads test shotAttached File  family%200671.JPG   81.37KB   84 downloads test shot Attached File  family%200711.JPG   95.48KB   97 downloads test shot Attached File  family%200721.JPG   92.95KB   99 downloads test shot Attached File  garage%200081.JPG   94.27KB   99 downloads test shot Attached File  garage%200031.JPG   70.18KB   96 downloads test shot Attached File  garage%200101.JPG   95.94KB   95 downloads test shot Attached File  garage 011.jpg   918.15KB   111 downloads test shot Attached File  Copy of garage 011.jpg   820.93KB   104 downloads test shot Attached File  garage%200131.JPG   106.53KB   122 downloads test shot

Attached Files

#2 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,414 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:56 AM

BEAUTIFUL, Mark, I love all the details. You must have had a blast putting this one together. It shows.

#3 GTMust

GTMust

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Full Name:Tony Durham

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:29 AM

Beautiful work Mark. Definitely on a par with some I've seen from the top dio builders. Love that peeling paint!

But one question. Isn't the Franklin Mint Camaro 1/24 scale? If so, wouldn't it have been easier to build the dio 1/2" to the foot. Probably a silly question, but I'm just curious.

Tony

#4 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

Absolutely excellent workmanship! I like the last shot the best, comes close to looking real.

#5 Grumpa

Grumpa

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

Thanks guys for the positive comments. Actually Tony, the dio was built to 1/25th scale. Although the Camaro is 1/24th, the size difference is hardly perceivable, and any way, I had kind of a selfish reason. I wanted to borrow it from time to time for photos and to take to the occasional show.

#6 modelmarknz

modelmarknz

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Denton

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

nice job ....

#7 GTMust

GTMust

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Full Name:Tony Durham

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:22 AM

Thanks guys for the positive comments. Actually Tony, the dio was built to 1/25th scale. Although the Camaro is 1/24th, the size difference is hardly perceivable, and any way, I had kind of a selfish reason. I wanted to borrow it from time to time for photos and to take to the occasional show.

I see. Makes sense to me. You're right... the scale difference is not even noticeable. Excellent job.

Tony

#8 Mercman

Mercman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Full Name:Junior

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

Another nice thing about this is if you keep the walls short enough you have a cover to keep the dust out.

#9 Intmd8r

Intmd8r

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Cosby

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

Great Job! The second last pic looks like my 1:1 grarage at home (less the classic muscle car).

Edited by Intmd8r, 17 April 2012 - 01:51 PM.

#10 jerseyjunker1

jerseyjunker1

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Full Name:Manny Solano

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

this is a wonderfull open diorama done with so much feeling. i love everything about it. to cool for words a man after my own heart. just great. B) B) B)

#11 Grumpa

Grumpa

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

Here ya go James.

#12 crazyrichard

crazyrichard

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts
  • Full Name:richard gelens

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:41 AM

whow > really impressive dio !! so realistic !!!

#13 Sixties Sam

Sixties Sam

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts
  • Full Name:Sam Stitzer

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:42 AM

That is great work! It looks real and makes me want to be in the garage working on a car! Excellent details and realistic weathering on the outside.

Sam

#14 lower99

lower99

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Full Name:Jonas Lohr

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:50 AM

These details! WOW!!!

#15 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,042 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:31 AM

Great work and a really cool idea to build that into a display case. 

#16 Joker

Joker

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts
  • Full Name:James Scott

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:18 PM

Yay me !....found it !  Thanks for the link Mark/Grumpa...

and subscribed..for future reference.

Thanks

Edited by Joker, 02 September 2013 - 08:20 PM.

#17 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Manson

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:19 AM

That is a fantastic diorama Mark.  All the little details really bring it to life.  Great job.

#18 Grumpa

Grumpa

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

Yay me !....found it !  Thanks for the link Mark/Grumpa...

and subscribed..for future reference.

Thanks

Glad ya found it James.

If you want some real inspiration, Google Chuck Doan. He's responsible for alot of what I have put into this.

Thanks to all of you for the great compliments!

#19 scaleauto

scaleauto

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Full Name:Vaughn Munroe

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:12 AM

Great job, I like the attention to detail.

#20 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,612 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:45 AM

What a great idea to use a display case like that. Not only a creative use of materials, but very well done, too.

Charlie Larkin