#1 Phildaupho

Phildaupho

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Full Name:Phil Dauphinee

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:48 AM

Earlier this year, the Revell of Germay website showed that a Ferrari 250 SWB was to be released later in 2012. There was speculation that this was an Italeri re-issue.The last time I checked the website, the listing was no longer there and some on-line vendors showed it as discontinued or out-of-stock. I would have definitely bought one of these kits as the SWB is one of my all time favorites.I do have the AMT kit which needs a lot to make presentable. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what happened.

#2 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:57 AM

What I've heard elsewhere is the release was cancelled.

#3 jaymcminn

jaymcminn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Full Name:Jason McMinn

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:59 AM

I'm hoping it's just that they've pushed back the release date. The site doesn't show any of the other new auto releases for this year either (Ferrari 599GTO, SA Aperta, 512TR). I REALLY want one of those 250SWBs.

#4 Luc Janssens

Luc Janssens

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:05 AM

I learned from a very reliable source that it's cancelled.

#5 larrygre

larrygre

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Full Name:Larry A. Greenberg

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

It was the Italeri kit. Hopefuilly we will see this in the future. Luc, any word as to WHY it was cancelled?

#6 Luc Janssens

Luc Janssens

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

It was the Italeri kit. Hopefuilly we will see this in the future. Luc, any word as to WHY it was cancelled?

Sorry, no.

#7 Exotics_Builder

Exotics_Builder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Full Name:Gerry Paquette

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

I was told that the deal with Italeri fell through. I actually brought my Italeri 250 GT to Revell to see if it could be US boxed. It couldn't because of the parts trees makeup. Then a few weeks later I heard that Revell AG and Italeri did not "close" the deal. That is all I heard.

Edited by Exotics_Builder, 11 April 2012 - 02:00 PM.

#8 jaymcminn

jaymcminn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Full Name:Jason McMinn

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

That figures. Maybe Italeri can sit on those molds for another twenty years or so.

#9 larrygre

larrygre

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:00 AM

I wonder if Italeri lost or did not renew the Ferrari license(s). That would explain a great deal.

#10 Exotics_Builder

Exotics_Builder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Full Name:Gerry Paquette

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:10 AM

I wonder if Italeri lost or did not renew the Ferrari license(s). That would explain a great deal.

Could be. I understand that Mattel is the control of Ferrari licensed toys/models world wide. Is that true?

#11 larrygre

larrygre

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:16 AM

Gerry, at one time that was true. Those were the years that no new (or repopped) Ferrari models were produced by either Tamiya OR Revell (right after the F50). Whether Mattel still has control of Ferrari licensing, I do not know.

#12 64Comet404

64Comet404

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Nesbitt

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:53 AM

I have seen a couple of the old Italeri kits recently under Academy boxing, without using the Ferrari name. Examples include the Testa Rossa and the 250GT California. Hopefully we will see more of these kits return to the shelves soon.

#13 larrygre

larrygre

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:15 AM

Ken, so far Academy has boxed there of them: the F40, the California, and the Testarossa. None of them bear Ferrari name or decals. If they ever do box the SWB, it will sell like snow cones in July. If they box the 275GTB/4, even more so.

#14 Luc Janssens

Luc Janssens

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:17 AM

Larry,

IMHO Since Revell was going to market those, Italeri acts only as a vendor, so they don't need a licence, Revell does...

#15 sjordan

sjordan

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

Seems like the original Italeri version is all that's left (and which is impossible to find), although there's an AMT/ERTL version that doesn't look very good and a hideously expensive resin kit.

#16 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

Didn't Gunze Sangyo offer a 250 in their Multi-Media High $$ kits??

#17 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,900 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

Didn't Gunze Sangyo offer a 250 in their Multi-Media High $$ kits??

Yes they did------but it wasn't proportioned as nice as the Italeri one. I had one but sold it on eBay recently. Could never quite get into the somewhat out of shape body and the metal chassis but no engine setup. Interesting that it had an "insert" for the engine. At the time the kit came out (late '80's?), it was rather pricey-------but if you took your time it could build into a nice model.

I like the Italeri one I did a lot better----despite having to do some corrections on it to make the Sterling Moss car I admire so much. ;)

#18 64Comet404

64Comet404

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Nesbitt

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

What modifications did you have to make, Bill? I picked up the decals from VRM a few years ago, but I haven't started the build yet.

Larry, The 275 is nice, but I want them to reissue the NART spyder. That is one sexy lookingbeast, IMHO.

#19 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,900 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

Since I wanted my car to be more representative of Sterling Moss's '61 car............I had to change some things about the body. Italeri's version while not bad at all-------I thought the roof line was not quite right as the sail panel seemed a bit broad to my liking.

Here are a few pics of my build------sorry, I have no in progress pics as I built this back in 1998-99.......long before I had a digital camera or whatnot.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I remember modifying the front end as well, to represent Moss's car with the air ducts for the brakes. Also, the grille was modified a bit....................

Posted Image
Posted Image

I used Reps and Mins V-12 engine kit to detail it better.............Italeri's rendition of this engine leaves much to be desired IMO............

Posted Image
Posted Image

Of course, I couldn't leave well enough alone as the car had the dash modified to RHD..........as well a changing the linkage in the engine to represent such. My reference was an excellent Road and Track article from back then which showed the car as it existed at the time. My markings are a bit different as what the car would have raced with back in '61.

Edited by MrObsessive, 15 April 2012 - 10:22 PM.

#20 philo426

philo426

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

While not great the Ertl version isn't so bad. Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by philo426, 15 April 2012 - 06:31 PM.