Model Cars Magazine Forum

VRM Midget decals review and teaser pic

Well, the Midget decals for the Revell kits from VRM have finally arrived from Cartograf. Normally I would think it is kind of tacky to review my own product, but these sheets are just stunning and really showcase what can be done with technology, creative thinking, and a whole lotta elbow grease.

Each sheet features period markings for 6 cars, along with along with detail decals such as chassis tags, engine tags, snaps, and Dzus fasteners. Also included are a bunch of period accurate sponsor markings and some generic numbers that can be used to create phantom race cars.

Each sheet also features a layout booklet with information on each car presented and guides on the extra detail goodies.

Well, that is the type of stuff you usually get from VRM anyway - what sets these sheets apart (and also why they took so long to develop) is the 'engine-turned' effect on many of the period cars (Caruso and others) and the generic numbers. The engine turned effect is done in gold foil and has a very scale look to it.

The downsides (trying to be objective here...):

The price - Each sheet will retail for $21. It's expensive for a decal sheet, but the value and detail presented are second to none.

The colour flashes - Many cars had colour flashes painted on the primary body colour. These are not included. It was decided that because of the complexity of the many body panels it would easier to mask and paint, and also achieve a better overall result.

The photo shows a corner of one sheet. The area inside the numbers and the 'Caruso' script are gold foil and are very bright and shiney. The pattern in the photo is the engine turning. It is really tough to get a photo that shows the shiney foil and pattern in the same shot.

post-2995-0-64768800-1334266139_thumb.jp

They will be available at the NNL East and on the VRM website on the NNL East weekend (April 21/22).

A third sheet in already in the works with 6 more cars (3 offy, 3 V8-60). Feel free to offer suggestions (Roger Ward Lime Rock and an Aussie car with a US flag motif have already been selected).

My thanks to Cartograf for doing such an amazing job with these.

Steve

Vintage Racing Miniatures

• 2 weeks later...

My wife is listing the Midget sheets and the Mercedes SLR on the VRM website right now. Should be up in an hour or two. The 250 TR, 250 GTO and Cobra sheets will also be posted, but they will be ready for sale till after I correct an artwork error.

The Midget sheets and SLR sheet debuted at the NNL East yesterday, and they were very well received. Thanks to all who showed up and said 'Hi'.

Steve

I picked up both sheets at NNL-East, and they are as advertized, in fact even better than Steve's review! They have me wondering what the effect would be with a dull-coat mixed say 50-50 with gloss clear, such as Tamiya sprays (most gold leaf numbers and trim on race cars was burnished with cotton balls to give various "brushed" or swirled surface to them.

Very, very nice indeed, Steve!

Art Anderson

I have a suggestion: don't sell yourself short. At 21 bucks a sheet, with markings for 6 cars and some generic numbers and sponsor decals left over, that's a bargain. Who else sells such nice decals for $3.50 a car? Man, this makes me want to buy a couple of those midgets.

I have a suggestion: don't sell yourself short. At 21 bucks a sheet, with markings for 6 cars and some generic numbers and sponsor decals left over, that's a bargain. Who else sells such nice decals for $3.50 a car? Man, this makes me want to buy a couple of those midgets.

I second that. Actually, I didn't even have any interest in the midgets until I saw this. Got a link to the website?

The website is www.v-r-m.com. The Midgets and 300 SLR decal sets just got posted last night and are ready to go. Ferrari GTO, Cobra, and 250TR on the way soon.

You guys make some good points - it is expensive, but there is a whole bunch of value for the dollar. Early Indy cars, NASCAR, street rods, drag cars - there is lot lot there for a lot of people. One of the guys in my club put one of the engine-turned numbers on the rear of a midget. It looks even better on the curved body when it catches the light.

Here are a few more shots, courtesy of Brian Austin.

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

I got a set Sat at NNL EAST.....at first I was taken back by the price......after all my average price is $7......but when I got them they are WELL worth the price.....these decals set a new high in decal art....this from someone who has designed 100's of decals for many folks.

Edited by Dave Van

I have been waiting for these sheets ever since they were first announced. I may never build a completed midget but the style of the numbers and of other details is nearly impossible to get otherwise and will add a new dimension to some of my projects! Thanx for taking the time and care to do these.