#321 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,381 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:42 AM

Hey, everyone, I finally got my half dozen copies just to start with. Here's a quick unboxing video for those of you who haven't seen it yet, the kit and it's contents.

WATCH VIDEO HERE:

#322 horsepower

horsepower

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

Got mine on Tuesday, when I called to see if they were in yet, they only got two in, out of six they ordered so I got mine (the first of at least three I want for parts to build a few ideas), after checking out the contents, I can see a lot of these greenhouses showing up on some '51 Chevy Bel-Air kits, & at least a few of those grilles showing up on some period customs, now, where did I put that old Anglia kit, I want the short block with the Hydra-matic to build a model of the coupe my late cousin owned in the sixties. Just disappointed that we didn't get the 3x2 set up there are at least two copies of relatives cars that had that set up on'em that I want to build as surprise gifts. Got any ideas as to how & duplicate the old transparent red fuel line tubing from back then, & the red spark transparent red spark plug wires also? Thanks for all of the ideas I know I'll get.

#323 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,937 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

Just disappointed that we didn't get the 3x2 set up there are at least two copies of relatives cars that had that set up on'em that I want to build as surprise gifts.

The 3X2 setup on the Olds engine in the AMT '40 Ford Tudor kit will work perfectly, but that 3X2 as a factory J2 option was '57-'58 only.

#324 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

Got any ideas as to how & duplicate the old transparent red fuel line tubing from back then, & the red spark transparent red spark plug wires also? Thanks for all of the ideas I know I'll get.

Fishing line:

Posted Image

#325 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,498 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

On a whim, I stopped by the Spare Time Shop after school (and scolding kids all day...the hazards of teaching before a long weekend,) and one of the three or four (including mine) he ordered showed up, so I grabbed with the Bill and Len-recommended green for the engine.

I'm still poking through it, but overall, I really like what I see. The design looks right, and the molding is done well. I was also impressed with the packaging.

I'm not too thrilled with the decal Oldsmobile and rocket script/trim, though. Mine, anyway, looked a little off-register. I really do hope that someone comes out with some photo-etch. Those alone will make what looks like a nice model really good.

Charlie Larkin

#326 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

I really do hope that someone comes out with some photo-etch.

I would think Model Car Garage is going to do a set for this car?

#327 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,937 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

Fishing line:

Posted Image

Pure genius.

#328 jeffs396

jeffs396

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

I would think Model Car Garage is going to do a set for this car?

Are they still producing etched sets?

Of all the new tool kits (Revell '62 Impala, Moebius Hudson, 300, etc.) released lately, I haven't seen any detail sets for any of them :(

#329 Tom Kren

Tom Kren

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Kren

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

picin one up at the show tommorow Great looking kit!!!

#330 slantasaurus

slantasaurus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Wagonrod

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

Are they still producing etched sets?

Of all the new tool kits (Revell '62 Impala, Moebius Hudson, 300, etc.) released lately, I haven't seen any detail sets for any of them :(

Thats what I was thinking. MCG seems to be making all of the sets they have offered in the past but its been several years since they have done any new sets.

#331 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

Thats what I was thinking. MCG seems to be making all of the sets they have offered in the past but its been several years since they have done any new sets.

Bob mentioned on Revell's facebook page, in the '62 Vette announcement post, that MCG is doing a set for the Vette. Maybe they made a set for the Pro Modeler '59 Vette previously?

Pure genius.

Thank a former member, Donnie Boger, for that tip.

#332 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,093 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:40 AM

This kit, IMHO, is so "in your face" to the Japanese kit makers. Revell has given Mobius a run for their money. I think it is simply the best kit AI have ever seen Revell tool up. The engraving is very clean and sharp, mold lines are a minimum. Kudos Revell. Even the fan blades are realisically thin. My only real beefs are no tampo printed tires, not a big deal really, and no underhood bracing engraving, otherwise this is a grand slam! Casey, where can you get that fishing line, and what is the price on it?

#333 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:43 AM

Casey, where can you get that fishing line, and what is the price on it?

No idea, Lee. Just Google "red fishing line" and you'll have plenty of options.

#334 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,319 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:20 AM

Thanks for the great Unboxing video, Doctor! This kit looks like Must Have. Needs to get some money for it and try to find one from Finland. Your comments about this kit are so great, that I can't wait to have one. While waiting, I might start the Fabulous Hudson Hornet. B)

#335 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,240 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:51 AM

Wal-Mart has the fishing line. They also carry it in clear/clear. Get the thick stuff 40lb test.

#336 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,381 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:04 AM

Thanks for the lead, Jim. I will check it out.

#337 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,093 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:16 AM

I posted a link to some cool 50 Olds pics here:
http://www.modelcars...showtopic=64757

#338 Brian Fishburn

Brian Fishburn

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:33 AM

.......I've been carefully analyzing the moves necessary to make a fastback '50 Olds using the AMT '51 Chevy fleetline roof section. So far, this looks to be made a little trickier by a couple of things. First, the doors of the '50 Olds are significantly longer than the doors on the Chevy. It's unlikely this is the case in 1:1, as they were both based on the same body-shell tooling and photographs of both cars seem to convincingly indicate the doors were in fact the same length. The discrepancy will necessitate more rework of the B-pillars. The difference in length between the two cars appears, as it is in reality, to be ahead of the firewall and so will not effect the roof transplant.

The second problem is the shape of the windshield opening. They are not the same at all on the models, while they ARE the same in 1:1. GM did NOT change all of the tooling related to the windshield opening on the bodyshell between 1950 and 1951. And though the 1:1 Olds has one-piece glass and the Chevy has a divider, it was common to swap the one-piece windshield into the cheaper car during customization. That's a pretty convincing argument that they SHOULD be the same shape.

I'm pretty sure the deviations from scale will be in the older AMT tooling, because the new Revell Olds looks very very good. I was rather hoping to be able to graft the roof in its entirety on to the Olds body shell, but preserving the shape of the windshield opening of the Olds (to avoid making a custom windshield) will dictate a splice having to be made through the center of the roof. Certainly straightforward enough for an old top-chopper, but more work anyway.

Just for information purposes, just among the 1951 Chevrolets, there are five different two door passenger car body styles. (Bel Air hardtop, Bel Air convertible, Fleetline, Styleline, and Sport/business coupe.) The only ones that MIGHT interchange are the two Bel Air versions (not 100% sure on those) as far as interchangability between the Bel Air, Styleline, Fleetline and Sport/business coupes- they do not. Styleline and the coupes are close, but it still takes metal surgery to make one fit the other.

The point is: Even though the bodies are similar in shape, You can't assume interchangability. Add the fact that you're jumping across brand lines, one of which is already known to have longer fenders, and it translates to us still needing to do some homework if we're going to try to turn the Olds into something other than the coupe that it already is.

Of course- if you do all of the homework, make everything 100% prototypically correct- the only people who will know that you did it are the ones that you tell. It's all close enough to fool darn near every eye.

The data I gave about door differences in the '51 Chevy comes from having to replace a door on a 1:1, in case anyone wonders where I came up with that.

And- more relevant: I just got my Olds kit last night. VERY nice piece. Excellent work, Revell!

#339 Cool Hand

Cool Hand

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Full Name:Luke

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:56 AM

Cant wait for this kit to land here in Australia,then again I dont think I will be able to wait and will end up importing a few.

#340 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,937 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

The data I gave about door differences in the '51 Chevy comes from having to replace a door on a 1:1, in case anyone wonders where I came up with that.

Good post. I'm wondering now which 1:1 door you had to massage to fit which car, and by how much and where. Never know when that bit of arcane knowledge might come in handy in my biz.