#1 madisonwoodsmith

madisonwoodsmith

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Full Name:John Shaffner

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

Ok, so I am back into modelling after a 40 yr hiatus. Man have things changed! Anyway, I have a dozen or so kits to build, but am interested in redoing a 55 Chevy p/up glue bomb I picked up on eBay. What is the best method for de-gluing this truck?

Thanks in advance, guys. I've already gleened alot of info from here and hope to contribute some in the future.

John

#2 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,774 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Manson

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

Try wetting the model thoroughly and then putting it in your freezer overnight. Then try to gently separate all the pieces. T water should freeze and help to make the parts separate easier.

#3 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,269 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

In addition to what Rich said, Super Clean/Purple Power (the go-to paint strippers for many of us) are also good at loosening glue bonds. So if it has to be stripped as well, just give it a soak, but be advised it will also strip all chome as well.

#4 JollySipper

JollySipper

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Full Name:TJ Charles

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

Here's a cool little trick I've learned..... Once you get to the building stage with your models, to aid in future disassembly, use something similar to Elmer's Glue All ( or the Elmer's itself ) for parts that attach to the body ( clear parts, bumpers, etc...) The Glue All doesn't melt the plastic together and makes taking the model back apart a lot easier....

#5 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,820 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

I can't really add to what has been said but welcome back to the modeling game. it's a whole new world my friend. Good luck with your project.

#6 thatz4u

thatz4u

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Full Name:Al Rich

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:57 AM

i use mineral spirits applied a small brush