#1 '08SEAL

'08SEAL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Full Name:Lane Allen

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

The other day I was riding Little Red, my 10-Year-Old Honda Recon, and the back brakes locked up in the middle of the road. I pulled it back into the backyard-ish area of my friends house, his dad is a mechanic, and the loosened them up to where I could take it home. Then my dad and I looked at it today, and the brake pad, that was supposed to be 1 piece, came apart into 4 pieces. So now we have to order a new brake pad for the rear. Just last month we took it to the ATV shop and they bled it and it had almost new brakes again. Now it will have new, rear, brakes. Everything is O.K. though, just new brakes coming in. 10 years, 10 years...

Yes, <---------- the 4 wheeler in my picture is Little Red, my Honda 250 Recon, from 2002/2001.

#2 dave riggs

dave riggs

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Full Name:Dave

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

This is cool isn't it? My last car bought, I changed the brakes on the front only, and proceded to drive the thing for 10 years before I changed them again!
The only reason I changed them after the ten years was because the rear brakes were starting to leak, and get wore out. It went 63 miles a day to work and back!

Dave

#3 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

My Durango has 14 years on the original brakes. Only 58K, tho, but I can tell the rotors are in trouble. Still over half the life on the pads though!

#4 vintagestang

vintagestang

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Full Name:Patrick

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

My 1985 Honda TRX 250 still has the factory rear brakes and it was abused its first 5 years. Front brakes don't work.

#5 Grumpa

Grumpa

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Full Name:Mark D. Cassidy

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

Somewhat of a funny topic on a model car forum, but since it's here! I've got eight years and 218,068 miles on the brakes of my '04 Envoy! I told my mechanic at the GMC dealer last spring that whatever break pads were used from the factory. I wanted them again!
Noticed a little squeak over the week-end. So I guess my time has run out.

#6 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

In 12 yrs/136k miles I've replaced the front and rear brakes (pads & rotors) on my Jeep 3 times, roughly every 40k miles.

Edited by Rob Hall, 23 April 2012 - 04:15 PM.

#7 Junkman

Junkman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts
  • Full Name:Christian Pamp

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

Brakes are for wimps :D

#8 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

I've had to do the front pads on my 14 year old XJ a few times over the last 8.6 years, the rotors were replaced twice (under recall at 66,600, then again north of 140k) but with it nearing 157k.....it's probably about time to replace the factory installed rear brakes..... Luckily I bought the parts to replace all but the parking brake cable (which we should probably do to...) and backing plates a few years back. Now that I have my 200, we can take the Jeep off the road for however long it takes instead of trying to hammer through it as quick as possible so I have it to drive to work the next day.

#9 trogdor

trogdor

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Full Name:rick

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:09 AM

I've still got the original shoes on the rear of my 96 suburban. I'm the original owner so I know for sure. More amazing to me is I just recently had the original OEM plugs replaced with 208,000 miles on them Not in bad shape considering the mileage.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Brizio

Brizio

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts
  • Full Name:Fabrizio Fae

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:56 AM

Last year I replace the battery on my Cherokee XJ, after 10years!!! Pretty amazing!

#11 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:35 AM

Last year I replace the battery on my Cherokee XJ, after 10years!!! Pretty amazing!

The one in mine is #3 since I bought it in '03, the one that was in it when I bought it looked to be factory and was replaced in '04 when I decided it was old enough that it might not last the winter and my last battery was in the same shape when I bought the newest one.

#12 mr68gts

mr68gts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Mendoza

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:54 AM

My 04 GTO made it 50,000 on the front brakes and still have the orginal rears in at 161,000. The clutch in the car also has 161000 miles but it's getting replaced since the trans is being rebuilt by me. (not gonna do that job twice! lol)
Paul

#13 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:12 AM

Wow...the first battery in my Grand Cherokee lasted 4 years, but after moving to AZ I replace the battery every 2 years.

Edited by Rob Hall, 24 April 2012 - 05:13 AM.

#14 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

Wow...the first battery in my Grand Cherokee lasted 4 years, but after moving to AZ I replace the battery every 2 years.

Must be a whole lot better climate the the ones we live in Rob! The climate here can be all over the place througout the year, must just be the heat out your way.

#15 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

Must be a whole lot better climate the the ones we live in Rob! The climate here can be all over the place througout the year, must just be the heat out your way.

Yeah, the dreadful AZ heat. Can't wait to get out of here for good..100 degrees already in April.

#16 Wagoneer81

Wagoneer81

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Eddy.

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

Brakes are for wimps :D

Yeah, they just slow you down... B)

#17 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

Yeah, they just slow you down... B)

Sounds like typical Jeep brakes, they just slow you down, not necessarily stop you.....especially with their early ABS system :P

That said, the brass 3 row radiator in mine decided to spring a leak and the shop I bought it at can't get them any more........guess it'll be going back to a stock aluminum and plastic replacement...........good thing those are only $120 I guess..........

Edited by Joe Handley, 24 April 2012 - 01:24 PM.

#18 Junkman

Junkman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts
  • Full Name:Christian Pamp

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:37 AM

Sounds like typical Jeep brakes, they just slow you down, not necessarily stop you.....especially with their early ABS system :P

Compared with my '61 Imperial brakes they feel like Formula One.

#19 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

Compared with my '61 Imperial brakes they feel like Formula One.

You've never driven a 89-91 Cherokee with the Bendix 4 Wheel ABS O_o

#20 W-Machine

W-Machine

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Full Name:Craig Enz

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

My '02 GMC Sonoma had the original factory tires on it until about 2 months ago. At 99,300 miles, they outlasted the tranny and 2 batteries and a bunch of other stuff. The truck is just "OK" but those Uniroyal Tiger Paw tires are GREAT.