#1 jjsipes

jjsipes

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Sipes

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:46 AM

Would anybody have a good reference pics of Richard Petty's 1962 Plymouth? I am looking at building a model of this car but have only found a few pics of the car but, they are not real great. I need to look at Cars of the King book to see what is in that yet. I have a Revell 1962 Fury that I am planning on using with a Lindberg 1964 Plymouth or Dodge as a donor for the chassis.

Posted Image

#2 bbowser

bbowser

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts
  • Full Name:Bruce Bowser

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

What a great project! Looking forward to seeing more.

#3 jjsipes

jjsipes

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

Not much of an update, working on taking the Fury trim off to replicate the Savoy trim. Will need to make a Sedan out of the hardtop as well. Working on donor chassis from Lindberg 64 Dodge as well. Had to shorten the chassis about 1/8" or so for wheelbase to align and had to cutthe rear of the chassis by 1/4" roughly to fit into body. May need to narrow abit as well, will see once glue has dried.

Body work has been started.

Posted Image

Here you can see where I cut the chassis right behind the front sub-frame to shorten wheelbase. Cut out the stock gas tank and shortened rear frame rails. Need to fill in were tank was and either modify the stock tank or fab a new one similar to the Johan 64 Petty tank.

Posted Image

Edited by jjsipes, 25 April 2012 - 07:22 AM.

#4 jjsipes

jjsipes

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:08 AM

Started making the Savoy trim on the drivers side and added the sedan post. Everything is just tacked in place for now. Need to finish clean-up on trim yet and make another for the passenger side.

Posted Image

#5 Truck parts

Truck parts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts
  • Full Name:gordon d.dickerson

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

Jason, looking good so far.

#6 jjsipes

jjsipes

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:38 AM

Would anybody have any pictures of the shock setup from 1962? I assume that they ran dual shocks front and back and that I will have to cut the inner fender on the front to allow the shocks to pass into engine compartment and tie somehow. Getting close to being able to prime the chassis to see how my modifications look.

Edited by jjsipes, 11 May 2012 - 07:39 AM.

#7 mr moto

mr moto

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  • Full Name:Manuel J. Martinez

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:08 AM

This is a great idea for a project. Certainly one of Richard's lesser known rides but I know he used it to make a great run to 2nd place at Daytona in the midst of a pack of Pontiacs. Good luck with researching it. There's probably not very much reference material out there.

#8 jjsipes

jjsipes

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:51 AM

Through the Randy Ayers Nascar Fourm I have gotten some great pics of this car, even an interior shot. One of them even shows where the Pettys used Chevy hubcaps for headlight covers, you can see the bowties around the perimeter of the cap.

#9 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,523 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:45 AM

I don't know if I would start modifying that kind of old kit, which is very expensive and rare. But anyway, looks like you're doing good job with it so keep it going, it's gonna be very cool and different when finished. I haven't seen these being built, and as a NASCAR, it'll be very cool.

I'm Tuned In.

#10 jjsipes

jjsipes

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:13 AM

Does anybody know when the Petty's started to paint there suspension parts the darker shade of blue?

#11 jjsipes

jjsipes

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:45 AM

I have a small update on this project. I have the 426 ci engine with single carb manifold and manual trans from a Lindberg 64 Mopar that I will use, no pictures yet haven't done any painting or detailing yet on engine. I have purchased a set of the resin 1960-1964 Firestones from Plastic Performance Products (PPP) and thought I could use the steel wheels from the Lindberg kit but they are to small of diameter so, back to the internet to purchase PPP wheels. I have also purchased one of there rollcages as well to adapt to this project.

I have primed the chassis and found some areas that needed alittle more attention with some putty. Overall I think it will work great. Need to finish up and start checking on ride height.

Posted Image

I have also started to see if I could modify the interior pieces from the same Lindberg 64 Dodge 330 kit that the chassis came from to fit the 62 Savoy body. Have modified the package tray and added some wheelhouses to the rear seat area. I will attempt to make door panels with stock upholstery pattern on them using the reverse side of the Dodge pieces.

Posted Image

#12 jjsipes

jjsipes

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:21 AM

Petty cars did not run HEMI's until their debut in 1964. Suspensions on these cars alternated between dark blue and gloss black.

Should have stated that is the 426 wedge engine which cosmetically looks the same as the 413's. The 426 HEMI's weren't around til 64 Daytona 500.

Thanks for the info on suspension colors. Guess I will just have to pick one and go with it.

#13 jjsipes

jjsipes

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:40 AM

Finally got a small update. I had sometime between projects at work and started looking at the Savoy trim and how best to represent it on the model. trying just scribing it on the fenders but that didn't work out to well. So I decided to take a file and flatten the protruding bodyline in the fender and door and glued some tubing which was flattened on the back side in place. Need to shape it alittle yet but I think it will work. I also got my wheels and tires from Plastic Preformance Products as well as as roll cage kit.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also got my chassis primed and noticed some areas that needed some attention with putty. Fits pretty good.

Posted Image

#14 Bartster

Bartster

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts
  • Full Name:Bart E Deatherage

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:12 AM

Glad l caught this one. Gotta love early '60s Plymouths, especially in Petty Blue! Keep up the good work. l don't envy the research. Not alot of info on this car. l considered building a '63, but gave up before l got started because of lack of info!

#15 rel14

rel14

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Full Name:Randy Layman

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:03 PM

try Decades of Nascar - and Slotcars4U -

Edited by rel14, 29 June 2012 - 01:56 PM.

#16 jjsipes

jjsipes

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:51 AM

Been awhile since I updated this project. Been slow going on it with work and a new son being born at the end of July and some other projects.

Finally got the body in primer and noticed a few areas that needed blocking. Mocked up the suspension to see about ride height.

Posted Image

Posted Image