Model Cars Magazine Forum

Engines in International Trucks

Does anyone know when International stopped having engines that went into their trucks painted red? I know the current MaxxForce engines are a dark metallic blue, and the V800 was sort of a light metallic blue; but weren't Cummins, Caterpiller & Detroit Diesel engines in International trucks painted International Red?

i really don't know maybe in the late 70's.. the ihc engines were mostly light blue dt-466 dt-444, in the 90's.... and the maxxforce family are black.. i never seen dark blue. sorry i rubbed my nose on some and they are black.

i been told that other manufacturer engines--cat,cummins-detroit-- were painted red in ihc trucks.

they were painted white in pete's&kw's [ cummins.cat,detroit]

Edited by baloney

Does anyone know when International stopped having engines that went into their trucks painted red? I know the current MaxxForce engines are a dark metallic blue, and the V800 was sort of a light metallic blue; but weren't Cummins, Caterpiller & Detroit Diesel engines in International trucks painted International Red?

Hi Jim, It was my understanding that IH made their own line of diesel engines and they were painted red. My memory is a little foggy, but I'm thinking the IH Transtar II and the 9670 I drove had Cummins engines and they were painted Cummins Tan. Hopefully somebody has a few shots of the Detroit Diesel and Cummins engine color in a Transtar II or 9670 pre-Navistar era?

Rich S.

Hi Jim, As a follow up I just found a short video of a '79 IH 4070B with a 8V92 on youtube http://youtu.be/MVvShU0mvfY and a 1980 International Transtar Eagle with a Cummins http://youtu.be/P7tqks5eEhw and they both are painted red. The old memory gets a little fuzzy, but now I'm wondering was the engine color practice changed when the company became Navistar in 1986?

Rich S.

not sure of the year Jim.It's not an issue with any of the amt/ertle kits.If you swap in a cummins paint it red.Testors ford acapulco blue is good for the V800's.I do know that the old transtar 4200 kit with the cummins 903 the engine would be black.I read that all 903 were black no matter what maker they went into,No paccar white,or binder red for those

Edited by mistermodel

Mister Modeler is right all red exept 903 Cummins (black). Freind of mine got a new 79 transtar 2 with a 3406 Cat it was red. I've seen mid 80s 9670s with red and tan Cummins so must have been in that time. And yes Max Force engines are dark blue with black and silver components.

Everything until the early 80's was red. Detroit, Cummins, Cat, IH. IH had a contract to the vendors that specified the engines were red. The only exceptions were the "diamond" series of IH 6 cyl. gas engines put in to the 1 &1/2 ton or lighter trucks thru '69 .

I'll check on the specific date that the change occured.