Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is Model building going to die off after our Generation goes?

And Harry, they picked that fever up from us, from watching us in the 60s and 70s go crazy over cars . . . they love cars, and are crazy about them as model subjects, but the Japanese love everything miniature. They love so many different types of model building, and that all helps keep the numbers going.

The "heyday" of plastic model building WAS in the 50's & 60's as men came home from the war and wanted to build ships, tanks, and planes, the "Space Age" was starting up and kids built rockets, and cars were catching on and the model car industry "exploded." I've enjoyed model building since the mid-50's and even had a 7 or 8 year hiatus in the 90's. I still enjoy it and really DON'T care what happens to the hobby when I'm below the earth's surface. There are WAY to many other things for younger people to be doing than building models like we were when I was a kid.

Guys, we ARE the market that the manufactures are catering to. This, it appears to me, is a "Baby Boomer" hobby. Harry, what is the median age of the members on this forum? I think that will give an indication as to where the hobby is going.

Don't know for sure, but my guess would be 40+.

They tried that and the kits sat on the shelves while the old reissued a million times kits still sold.

They will have to do better than their half-hearted attempt at tuner kits that are in the wrong scale, have mounting pins right in the middle of the head and tail lights, and can't interchange wheels with existing compact car kits nor take the aftermarket wheels already on the market.

Yes the Japanese have done a great job on releasing newer more "relevant" to your generation as you say.

Look at the high prices. You do understand why those prices are so high? The lower the sales numbers the more they have to sell them for. The market for the newer cars just is not there. The kids are too busy with something that doesn't take much more effort than pushing a button these days!

Back when I was still living in Toronto in the late 90's, my LHS can sell the same officially imported Japanese kit several dollars cheaper than other hobby stores, and they were doing great business. Now that I'm living in Hong Kong I can get the same officially imported Japanese kit at 70% of the price I'd have to pay back home, even when our dollar is pegged to the US dollar and have the same crappy exchange rate to the yen.

So I'd say the market for new car is definitely there, and greed is the factor for those high prices, from the distributor to the shop owners. These days people who wanted a new car kit would probably just get it online, leaving those unrealistically price import kits on the shelf of the hobby stores.

I think as long as us older builders are willing to share the hobby with the younger generation,that it will continue to survive. Maybe not at the level we see now and in the past. A lot of older builders have the mindset that ALL kids care about are video games and they don't build models. :rolleyes: That's simply not true. Just because they don't fill up a table at a show doesn't mean kids aren't building. Heck, I was 33 years old before I attended my first show. Does that mean that I didn't start building until I was 33? Of course not!

My 8 year old son absolutely loves to build anything! It doesn't matter what it is. If it's something he can build with his own hands, he's into it. He can come up with some amazing stuff for an 8 year old with those new Lego sets when he mixes sets together. I think the reason he likes those so well is that he can build them,take them apart and build something totally new. He also builds model cars (not many so far),planes and tanks. He'll take something he can build over a video game anytime.

If model companies are going to survive,they are going to have to start making a transition from old to new/newer subjects and not just supercars. I'm 45 and I would love to see a kit of something new or newer besides Mustangs,Camaros and Challengers! Seems like the only ones staying up with the times now are the die cast companies.

As far as comparing the Japanese and American kits being released... the reason that the Japanese are releasing so many more new kits than the American manufacturers are, is that model car building, for whatever reason, is much more popular and "relevant" in Japan than it is here. In other words, Japan has a larger (per capita) group of people active in the hobby than the US does.

Kids in here cut their teeth on modelling with Gundam kits. Many of them will continue building Gundams, some will progress to other form of modelling, and when they have kids they'll build Gundams with them together.

I don't see the parallel of that in the West.

Edited by fumi

Who knows where the hobby may be going? One of these days, you'll be able to afford your own Rapid Prototype printer, and download and modify software for almost anything you want to build, at whatever scale your printer is capable of producing.

The price new Models is unbelieveable, the price of Oil is unbelieveable, and today there's so many Video Games Etc, I myself believe that the World of Minature is in fact slowing way down, my Son got into modeling up until he met some Girls then he got into Drumming, self taugh, then it was Nascar 2003 Racing on line then he started into Computer PAINTING! then theres the new 3D drawing which isn't cheap, Photo Etch is really rising in price, Models are more costly, I got a 1/16 Cobra off from Evilbay, I paid a good buck it, when it got it had a price tag from 1996 on it the price was $6.99, so with the high cost of College and everything, I do see the Hobby going to the Dogs, that is for the non-scratch builder.

Scratch Builders are a Fantastic bunch of Artistes, that will do what ever it takes to make the Hobby stay alive, us poor people will take hand me downs till there gone, then what?

mickey1938

I was talking to the local hobby shop owner the other day about sales and stuff, he mentioned how the trend has become the hot new kit is released, it sell like crazy, then after a few guys buy the one or two they want, sales drop to almost zero. Not a good sales model as far as keeping kits in stock and not a great way to have R. O. I. for kit manufacturers. Reissues are just cheaper to do. If you tool up for 5000 kits and sell 1000 in the first week of release and then sell nothing after that, why on earth would you spend money on a new tool with the same result? (Moebius Hudsons come to mind) The hobby is dying out because we are getting older and our society is not as car centered as it once was. Cars are just transportation, with a few guys that are car nuts. I my opinion, I need to build what I have in the basement, not buy more.

Fellas lets face it our hobby is one that is dying, but its not the fault of the manufactors. Its modern techknowlogy 2 million things for a kid to do other than build models.

Kids today are givien the choice to drive race cars , kill invading aliens, explore new and fascinating worlds, Be the hero and get the girl. All of this they can do from the comfort of home thanks to video games.

In our day we didnt have all that so building models was our way of adventure. As a kid i could never have owned a 63 corvette , but if I had the model I could pretend I was the owner and driver of that beautiful car.

Will our hobby die off after we pass? .....it could but if each of us takes the responsibility to teach others what we know it could definatly survive. This is a hobby of hand-me-downs and if we stop handing down the knowledge it most defanitly will grow cold and die. I think taking new ones to model shows and showing them the intrest in the hobby will help people to see how much fun we have and how great model building can be.

On the flip side of that same coin the internet has provided a outstanding tool for young one interested in building, and thats model building forums like this one. Here is where we can shine and show. Most kids spend countless hours on the internet and I have fould it really easy to give a youngster the website address and from doing that it has sparked an intrest in building for that youngster. So if you dont have the oppertunity to teach ones directly, try giving a young one the web address lets try to build this hobby back up.

ps. sorry for writing a book..

The price new Models is unbelieveable, the price of Oil is unbelieveable, and today there's so many Video Games Etc, I myself believe that the World of Minature is in fact slowing way down, my Son got into modeling up until he met some Girls then he got into Drumming, self taugh, then it was Nascar 2003 Racing on line then he started into Computer PAINTING! then theres the new 3D drawing which isn't cheap, Photo Etch is really rising in price, Models are more costly, I got a 1/16 Cobra off from Evilbay, I paid a good buck it, when it got it had a price tag from 1996 on it the price was $6.99, so with the high cost of College and everything, I do see the Hobby going to the Dogs, that is for the non-scratch builder.

Scratch Builders are a Fantastic bunch of Artistes, that will do what ever it takes to make the Hobby stay alive, us poor people will take hand me downs till there gone, then what?

mickey1938

You sure have a unique system for capitalizing words... :blink::lol:

Guest Johnny

They will have to do better than their half-hearted attempt at tuner kits that are in the wrong scale, have mounting pins right in the middle of the head and tail lights, and can't interchange wheels with existing compact car kits nor take the aftermarket wheels already on the market.

Back when I was still living in Toronto in the late 90's, my LHS can sell the same officially imported Japanese kit several dollars cheaper than other hobby stores, and they were doing great business. Now that I'm living in Hong Kong I can get the same officially imported Japanese kit at 70% of the price I'd have to pay back home, even when our dollar is pegged to the US dollar and have the same crappy exchange rate to the yen.

So I'd say the market for new car is definitely there, and greed is the factor for those high prices, from the distributor to the shop owners. These days people who wanted a new car kit would probably just get it online, leaving those unrealistically price import kits on the shelf of the hobby stores.

The market is great for them, over there.

It never was here and probably never will be. Those older builders (not that many younger builders here by comparison) that would like to see them are far too few to make it profitable for the companies to tool up the kits. Remember, they DO have to make a profit to stay in business and producing nitche kits will not cut it.

I would like to be (and stay) more optimistic about the hobby in that yes, it's a gold age for some of us older builders, but I think the hobby will survive because people will always look for ways of entertaining themselves that has nothing to do with new technologies. Geez, television was a new technology not so long ago, right?

Model building parents need to continue to expose their children to the beauties of building model cars. Or models, period. It doesn't have to be cars. As long as people are building models, model cars will be around as a subject matter.

What a great idea, instead of board games or a movie buy a variety of model kits and invite the family over to enjoy your hobby. Now, honestly, I did envision this. However I can't even get my family together for a birthday dinner. But still, it sounds like a good idea. I might try it.

I think as long as us older builders are willing to share the hobby with the younger generation,that it will continue to survive. Maybe not at the level we see now and in the past. A lot of older builders have the mindset that ALL kids care about are video games and they don't build models. :rolleyes: That's simply not true. Just because they don't fill up a table at a show doesn't mean kids aren't building. Heck, I was 33 years old before I attended my first show. Does that mean that I didn't start building until I was 33? Of course not!

My 8 year old son absolutely loves to build anything! It doesn't matter what it is. If it's something he can build with his own hands, he's into it. He can come up with some amazing stuff for an 8 year old with those new Lego sets when he mixes sets together. I think the reason he likes those so well is that he can build them,take them apart and build something totally new. He also builds model cars (not many so far),planes and tanks. He'll take something he can build over a video game anytime.

If model companies are going to survive,they are going to have to start making a transition from old to new/newer subjects and not just supercars. I'm 45 and I would love to see a kit of something new or newer besides Mustangs,Camaros and Challengers! Seems like the only ones staying up with the times now are the die cast companies.

Roger, just for fun ask your son what kits he would like to see kitted.

Guest Johnny

right Johnny, because a Hudson Hornet is so NOT a niche market kit :rolleyes: i mean people all over the world are just clamoring for one of those to build!

the sky is falling, the hobby is dying, the sky is falling, the hobby is.......................................

doing better than ever?

And they are a company that is set up to run like that unlike the big companies. Don't be mixing apples and oranges, you'll just confuse yourself!

I would like to be (and stay) more optimistic about the hobby in that yes, it's a gold age for some of us older builders, but I think the hobby will survive because people will always look for ways of entertaining themselves that has nothing to do with new technologies. Geez, television was a new technology not so long ago, right?

Model building parents need to continue to expose their children to the beauties of building model cars. Or models, period. It doesn't have to be cars. As long as people are building models, model cars will be around as a subject matter.

Last year at the Desert Classic here in Phoenix there were two entry's in the junior class ( and a "Make and Take It") This year there were also two entry's in the junior class (also with a make and take it). I don't think the word is getting out. I think the lure of winning a trophy for their work would entice some of these youngsters.Getting the word out seems to be a problem all the way around. I think there were a few of those in the Arizona Desert Classic post that lamented "not knowing" about the show.

I'm sorry, but I don't see a dying hobby at all. Is it as huge as it was in the '60's? From what I've seen and heard, no it isn't. But what it lacks in sheer size, compared to where it used to be, it more than makes up for in diversity and subject matter. So, yes, I see a more focused (selective, perhaps?) market than in the past, but by no means dead or dying.

People have been building miniature replicas of vehicles long before the invention of the old annual kits... before cars,even. That's going to continue, whether kits are available or not.

right Johnny, because a Hudson Hornet is so NOT a niche market kit :rolleyes: i mean people all over the world are just clamoring for one of those to build!

I don't buy into the Hudson hype. I think many are so deprived that they would clamour for ANYTHING newly released.

OK, I will come clean, I actually OWN a hobby shop (say what you will, I have a pretty thick skin!). Cars are mostly bought by older teens and men. Younger modelers are into everything from sci-fi to military (thank God for the history channel!). I look at the hobby as all modeling not just cars and trucks (model railroading is also 'modeling' and some of the RC guys are going to 'scale') Some times vehicles will be very popular and then it will switch to some other type.

Some kids just like to use their hands more than others do. Not all offspring of modelers will want to take up the hobby either, mine being a prime example.

When I was young just about all my friends built models but most did not stick with it, one of the best car modelers moved on to the real thing and now collects die-cast instead of building anything. I think the same is true today, most kids might try it but not find it to their liking and go to something else.

I find the biggest block to selling kits to kids are their parents, junior will want to give it a try but dad or mom will say ' You're too young, you will wreck it, wait 'til you're older.' There is no learning curve, it has to be 'perfect' first time, as though someone will die if not so! As for young girls, forget it, there is still a gender bias amongst WOMEN towards their daughters believe it or not!

Anyhow, I am a dinsaur running a dinosaur shop but I think the miniatures hobby will be around for a while longer.

Edited by DanielG

I think one thing that hinders out youth from getting into the hobby is the amount of free time they have. My son plays video games when he cans. If he can do that for two hours a week that's a lot. Those two hours will more than likely be broken down into two half hour periods and one one hour period.

Mike

Does anyone know if any hobby shops still have model contests in house ? When I was younger most hobby shops I went to had contests every so often. They would also have a "workshop" about once a month. I know that drew in some younger builders at least back in the day.

Does anyone know if any hobby shops still have model contests in house ? When I was younger most hobby shops I went to had contests every so often. They would also have a "workshop" about once a month. I know that drew in some younger builders at least back in the day.

The local Hobbytown USA has contests about 3 times a year. I am trying to do my part in keeping the hobby alive. I am organizing a 1:1 car show for this weekend on Sat. Hobbytown USA is hosting their contest at the car show as well as I purchased a st of kits for a "Make and Take" for the younger kids. I want this hobby to go on because that is where I got my start in cars. See post http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56698

Being a younger builder myself (23) I'll chime in with some points. First, it seems that it's the older crowd who is whining about the prices. "Back in my day, I could get a model for 95 cents and still have change for a candy bar!" If you look at the price of video games, the younger crowd would most likely not be whining as much. New video games generally cost around 60 bucks for the Xbox or PS3. I believe that the main issue is friends. Most kids now would rather play a game with a friend (or multiple friends) online, since it's more likely that they will also have the same game. Building a model is either something you do alone, or maybe with one friend. However if your friends don't have patience, then they aren't gonna build and you won't either.

Another issue is getting all the necessary tools and paints for building, whereas video games require one system and one game to be entertained. There could also be the issue of vehicles that they would like to build. I love building some of the more "average" vehicles, rather than muscle cars or cars older than '66.