#41 berr13

berr13

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Full Name:James Berry

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

That's some fantastic detail work there.  All that PE is amazing, and I admire your dexterity!  It's gonna be a beauty when you're finished.

"haze gray and underway"

#42 SSNJim

SSNJim

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:49 AM

Looking good.

Remember, in this scale, after shimming and what not, plain old white glue is your friend as a seam filler.

:blink:

G

That's the first time I've heard that, but I'm fairly new to ship modeling. Any tips or advice on using white glue as a filler? I've got a couple of projects in 1/350 and 1/700 that it might work well on. Mostly submarines, but I have a pretty involved conversion to a Brazilian Niteroi class frigate in 1/700 that is going to involve a lot of filler.

#43 keone2013

keone2013

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Full Name:Keone Lake

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:46 AM

That's the first time I've heard that, but I'm fairly new to ship modeling. Any tips or advice on using white glue as a filler? I've got a couple of projects in 1/350 and 1/700 that it might work well on. Mostly submarines, but I have a pretty involved conversion to a Brazilian Niteroi class frigate in 1/700 that is going to involve a lot of filler.

I've only used filler putty and just sanded it down to a smooth finish

#44 Agent G

Agent G

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,768 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Gray

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:08 PM

When dealing with the small gaps and tight space involved on super structures, chart houses, islands etc. I've found that a  bead of white glue is just the ticket. Apply sparingly with a small brush , then add more if needed when dry.

G

#45 SSNJim

SSNJim

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

Thanks, Agent.G. I'll give it a shot on my Niteroi. There's a lot of superstructure fabrication, and I'll have plenty of opportunities to try the white glue.

#46 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,669 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Martz

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:02 PM

Chris, I know you are about done with this project.  Hope you get a chance to display it at our local hobby shop for all to see.  I might actually leave my cave for this one.  Long term show quality work, would love to see it in person.

#47 unclescott58

unclescott58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts
  • Full Name:R. Scott Aho

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:12 AM

I'd love to see updates on this kit. It looked great the last time Chris posted photos.

Scott

#48 Wagoneer81

Wagoneer81

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Eddy.

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:26 AM

I will post an update, soon, Gents. Within the week,  The ship IS complete, I just finished the two float planes up a few days ago and mounted them on their catapults on Thursday..  I'm just waiting to give her an overall airbrushing of dull coat to even out some shiny areas and then I'll do the glamour shots. ;) 

I am now taking care of my father who, back in January, was diagnosed with stage four, small cell cancer.  It hasn't been an easy road and it seems to be getting rougher...  This is one of the reasons that this beast was delayed. Life does have a way of going off the plotted course...  I spent several months, very angry... Mad at the entire universe because of where life was taking us. I didn't even look at a piece of plastic... considered selling the entire stash. I mean, what was the point, anything outside of raw,basic survival was futile and pointless, right?   Now, I've started wrapping my mind around the facts and accepting what life is handing me and have started to take comfort, again, in the old friend that model building always has been.

So, having said that.... I'll post a final update on this build, soon.  Thanks!

#49 Metalmad

Metalmad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Full Name:Seth Gee

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:25 AM

Attached File  IMG_1363.JPG   109.17KB   0 downloads

Nice Build !

Me & the wife where able to take the tour of the Big Mo while we where in Hawaii in July and I must say the ship is amazing & we also visited the Arizona Memorial also which was very educating. There where also some other ships in port which was unusual & the tour guide was saying that they where having  some kind of maneuvers  & one of the ships that was there was the USS Regan Aircraft Carrier.

#50 unclescott58

unclescott58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts
  • Full Name:R. Scott Aho

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:45 AM

Look forward to see the model. Sorry to hear about your dad.

Scott