#21 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

>Did Roth ever build it with the truck bed?

the tweedy pie was a car that ed roth bought and then mildly customized if anything. it wasnt really his creation though, just had some touches. at least i believe thats the story.

#22 jaydar

jaydar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Full Name:Joseph J. Taylor

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:11 AM

Thanks, I don't have any truck vehicles yet and I thought i would do the Tweedy Pie in the truck version. However, i really don't do what-ifs.../..

#23 larrygre

larrygre

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Full Name:Larry A. Greenberg

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:03 AM

I think they did a fine job on the new parts - at least now you can build a replica of the original without a lot of fuss.

The kit is still missing the Baby Moons that the real car is almost always seen with, but I can't imagine a parts box without a set of those...!

#24 RancheroSteve

RancheroSteve

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Roullier

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:05 AM

>Did Roth ever build it with the truck bed?

the tweedy pie was a car that ed roth bought and then mildly customized if anything. it wasnt really his creation though, just had some touches. at least i believe thats the story.

Yes, that's pretty much the story. The car was originally built with a flat head by Bob Johnston in the mid-fifties. Most people believe that Roth put the SBC in, but I've also seen that story called into question.

A pretty detailed history here: http://www.kustomram...itle=Tweedy_Pie

#25 larrygre

larrygre

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Full Name:Larry A. Greenberg

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:12 AM

According to the book HOT RODS BY ED "BIG DADDY" ROTH, the SBC was put in just before Roth bought the car. And thats in Roth's own words.

#26 bbowser

bbowser

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,340 posts
  • Full Name:Bruce Bowser

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

Right, and while I like keeping a case full of finished builds and try to take satisfaction in what I've accomplished, on the other hand once I'm done with a build it's "on to the next one". For me, the process is maybe 90% of why I build models. Otherwise, we'd all just be buying finished diecasts, right?

I hope that doesn't come off too arty or cerebral - it's just the way I look at it.

Me too, so it can't be 'arty or cerebral' :lol: . Once I'm done with one it goes on the shelf and I rarely touch it again. It's all about the build. Great job on the Tweedy BTW.

#27 RancheroSteve

RancheroSteve

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

I was at my LHS today and they had the new Tweedy. I noticed that they changed the box top a little to represent the tires and wheels that are in the kit. Here's a shot of the original:

Posted Image

They also eliminated the "floating heads" on the side of the box, which for me as a kid were always a somewhat strange but iconic part of the Revell boxes of that period.

Posted Image

Now that I look at that side panel, I have all of those kits and have built all but two of them!

#28 Dave Pye

Dave Pye

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:47 PM

The SBC was installed just before Ed bought it. It has always been my Roth favorite, and was able to talk to him on several occasions about the particulars. I ran some ideas about a Tweedy Pye, and he liked them! R&M had a retro kit for it years ago, but I do not think it is stiTll available, thought this release might change Norm's mind! The original did have Baby Moons. No idea why the curved carb stack, except Ed told me, "They look cool, don't cha think, man?" I agreed...

#29 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,972 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

Thanks for the detail shot. Did Roth ever build it with the truck bed?

I believe the truck bed is leftover from the last (modified) reissue as the "Tweedy Pie 2":

#30 RancheroSteve

RancheroSteve

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:39 PM

R&M had a retro kit for it years ago

Yes, I should have mentioned it, but that it what I used for my build. It had almost all of the parts needed, plus great instructions on how to build the various versions (as the car changed over the years). I chose to build the "early Roth version" with the single headlights.

#31 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

nother version of this kit Posted Image

#32 38 Crush

38 Crush

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Full Name:Harold

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:47 AM

Hey Greg, How old is the version you posted?. Never seen it ! But I like it!!

#33 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

1987 http://public.fotki....l-modified-cus/

#34 flamefink

flamefink

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Full Name:Brett WH

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:12 PM

The "Rat Rod" tires are not exactly new to the kit. If you recall the Amigo Pack Rat Rod T Bucket. It was nothing more than the Tweedy Pie 2 with the same painted steelies, trim rings, caps and white wall tires that are found in the pickup and sedan kits. The use of the new tires was visible on the built up photos that all of the vendors had posted for preorders as well as on the Revell website a while back and eventually became the box art photo...

I'm happy to have it back, but still disappointed about the tires. If they went through the trouble of retooling all of those "lost" parts, why not take it a step further and fix the tires as well.

#35 Dave Darby

Dave Darby

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Full Name:Dave

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:37 AM

Great to see this kit restored to its original configuration after all this time - especially the box art, which is one of my favorites.

Posted Image

I went to the trouble of building a Tweedy Pie a few years ago, which entailed suplementing the version available at the time with the trans kit from R&M and having to send parts out to be plated, finding the right wheels and tires, etc. All in all, a pretty expensive proposition, but worth it all the same. I love that little hot rod!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Great build Steve! I like that you built the early Roth version. I still one day plan on building the original Bob Johnston version, with the early Ford steelies, and the Flathead. Again though, LOVE your build.

Posted Image

Edited by Dave Darby, 05 May 2012 - 02:39 AM.

#36 Dave Darby

Dave Darby

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Full Name:Dave

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:43 AM

I believe the truck bed is leftover from the last (modified) reissue as the "Tweedy Pie 2":

The pickup bed goes all the way back to day one. It was in the original issue as an option.

#37 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:04 AM

I saw the Tweedy Pie kit opened at a club meeting last night and it also included a full set of cycle fenders too. The gas tank is availbable from Replicas & Miniatures of Maryland.

#38 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:12 AM

So what's wrong with the tires? They look good to me.

#39 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:08 AM

Posted Image

Remember Advent ?

#40 Greg Myers

Greg Myers