#41 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

I think the tires would be more accurate if they were based on the original Revell parts pack big-n-littles from the 60's. I have a set of resin copies from R&M, and they look spot-on. I dig the ratrod tires, but there are some subjects they dont fit all that well. I think Tee Buckets are one of those. We'll have to wait and see who builds it first, and how it comes out. I will buy the kit for the chrome wheels, and newly tooled carbs/scoops. Seriously tho, the wheels and tires make the model.....wouldnt it be nice if SOMEONE made a great set of hot rod tires/wheels with the quality of the japanese companies? Think the expensive Arii line....!

Edited by Draggon, 05 May 2012 - 09:34 AM.

#42 Mark

Mark

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

So what's wrong with the tires? They look good to me.

The tires are the ones tooled for the Rat Rod Model A releases. They're nicely done, but look like radials with their rounded shoulder areas. The old Revell Goodyear bias-ply tires had sharp delineation between the tread area and sidewall.
That said, the newly tooled parts are done quite well. I bought the reissue because the original kit I have is missing the gas tank, carburetor/intake horn units, and another part or two that weren't in any of the later issues. Revell is paying extra attention to exhaust pipe and intake parts, and trying to mold these parts with hollowed-out ends. I don't have the original parts to check against, but I'm betting the new carb/intake parts are better than the originals. The new generator looks better to me, and the Chevrolet script on the valve covers also looks like it's improved. The decal sheet is also larger than the original, with instrument faces and body side striping the original sheet lacked. The license plate decals on the original sheet edge out the newer ones, but otherwise the new sheet is decent. The optional parts (fenders, lanterns, and raised top) will probably be saved for use on one of the recent issues, as will the new wheels and tires. Revell also included two newly tooled mag wheels that look a lot like the American Torque-Thrust IIs on my Fairlane. I'll have to either pull a mold off of one of these, or scrounge a second pair, for whenever I get around to building another Fairlane.

#43 Don Sikora II

Don Sikora II

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:24 PM

I think the tires would be more accurate if they were based on the original Revell parts pack big-n-littles from the 60's. I have a set of resin copies from R&M, and they look spot-on.

The resin copies were improved with much better tread detailing than the original Revell tires.

The original tires are still available in other kits too. The fronts are used on the Beatnik Bandit, but the tooling has seen better days. The rears should be in the reissue of the Roth '56 Ford pickup...they were in the first issue of that kit at least.

#44 flamefink

flamefink

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Full Name:Brett WH

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:32 PM

So what's wrong with the tires? They look good to me.

Yes, they're good looking tires but they're still not right for the car. They're radials, and the real car had bias-plys and it.

#45 jaydar

jaydar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Full Name:Joseph J. Taylor

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:49 AM

Just ordered my reissue today. Pick up should be next week!
Joe.

#46 38 Crush

38 Crush

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Full Name:Harold

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

I must really be getting old don't remember that one either. Nice Kit!

#47 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,354 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

I like it the best, but Steve's build sure looks good.

#48 38 Crush

38 Crush

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Full Name:Harold

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

Going to have to look for one of those !

#49 Tom Setzer

Tom Setzer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Full Name:Thomas J.C. Setzer

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:55 PM

I know I don't need one, but buying the new issue will help curb my temptation to builld my first issue kit.

#50 Bugace

Bugace

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Full Name:Tor Henning Ertsland Engen

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

It looks as a must have, with flaws and all. Guess someone will issue the tires in Resin soon, so that is no worry. Forsure find some other rod to use the kit tires on. Actually, the tires and wheels are worth half the kit alone.

#51 jaydar

jaydar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:42 AM

I got mine yesterday. I guess i better learn how to do grape/purple pearl!
Joe.

#52 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,912 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:37 AM

My brother bought me this kit over the weekend... why I have no idea, but it was a nice gesture, and it's one I've wanted for a while. The purple was custom mixed for the car by its orignal builder, and was called 'Royal Triton Purple'. I'm kind of wondering if one of those Testors One Coat purples might be a close enough match. Only thing is- the One Coats are metallic, and I'm not sure about the real Tweedy Pie- in some photos it looks like the paint is metallic, and in other photos it looks like a solid color.

#53 Don Sikora II

Don Sikora II

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

Does anybody know if one of the still available Testors enamel metalfalkes is the old Testors Roth paint for this kit from the 1960s? I'm thinking it might be the Metalflake Purple in the little square jar, but I'm not sure.

#54 larrygre

larrygre

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Full Name:Larry A. Greenberg

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:45 PM

My brother bought me this kit over the weekend... why I have no idea, but it was a nice gesture, and it's one I've wanted for a while. The purple was custom mixed for the car by its orignal builder, and was called 'Royal Triton Purple'. I'm kind of wondering if one of those Testors One Coat purples might be a close enough match. Only thing is- the One Coats are metallic, and I'm not sure about the real Tweedy Pie- in some photos it looks like the paint is metallic, and in other photos it looks like a solid color.

Chuck, the real Tweedy Pie was painted Candy Purple, not metallic purple. HoK's candy purple is very close.

#55 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,912 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:10 PM

Chuck, the real Tweedy Pie was painted Candy Purple, not metallic purple. HoK's candy purple is very close.

Cool! Think I might try that color on mine.

#56 jaydar

jaydar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:18 AM

I have purchased Boyd's Kandy Purple Pearl for mine. It is a very close match to the color printed on the box (I know, I know). I still like the color.

Edited by jaydar, 16 May 2012 - 04:18 AM.

#57 my80malibu

my80malibu

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Full Name:Gabriel Soto

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:06 AM

Are the carburetors molded nicely in this kit or are there ejection pin marks on them ?

#58 Mark

Mark

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:23 AM

Are the carburetors molded nicely in this kit or are there ejection pin marks on them ?

I don't see any. I bought this kit because my original issue kit is missing some parts, including the carburetors. So, I haven't got originals to compare to, but the new ones look good. The ejector pin marks are on little tabs that have to be trimmed off, two on each carb. One tab is attached to the intake horn (near the bottom, on the back) and the other tab is attached to the lower front part of the carburetor. The intake horns are partially hollowed out in the style of recent Revell exhaust pipe ends. I'd bet these are better than the original parts.

#59 Dave Pye

Dave Pye

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

In my opinion, the Tweedy Pie has a great front axle, spindles, and spring. They are vintage Revell, so cleanup and such is a necessity. But, it's a beautiful dropped beam with a nice pair of split-wishbone radius rods. The frame will take some time to remove the seams, fill and sand. But, again, that is vintage Revell. The banjo rear is a problem. The mold was misaligned in every release that I have of the kit. And, I own at least one of every way this was kitted. However, with some work, the rear end from a S-W-C kit can be installed. It JUST fits, and would have been far stronger than the original. Remember though, that this is an early street rod. No need for a four-speed or a "quickie" rear end. Ed liked the car and it's my second favorite T Bucket of all time. Norm's Kookie T is third, by the way. March 1966 HRM has a T in it that is perfect, to me.

#60 deathskull59

deathskull59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Full Name:nathan

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

parts look good ill mite buy one my self.