Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16th 69 Camaro ProMod 7/22/14 motor painted

Romell R

Rom, hope this is settling down now.....can't believe I just read some of that nonsense back a page or two..... :unsure:

And without wanting to stir anyone's pot, I think you handled yourself and this thread rather well......I would've lost it for sure. :lol:

Now, back on topic.....

I probably would agree that the use of your mill would make this a hellofaloteasier than it is, but you don't have access to it, so you do what you gotta do, hey. ;)

Yes, things like this (in their early stages) can. and do, quite often look rough. You can't help but get a little messy now and again.

Man, lots (ALL) of my stuff doesn't get photographed in early development............... :lol:

You on the other hand, show it how it is. And I'll stand up and back you till I'm 6 foot under mate, you WILL make this work.

Having said that, I love where you're headed with this, and applaud your tenacity and willingness to do it in brass. Good luck Bro. :)

Rom, some dudes cant see the forest for the trees, don't waste time on them, this is turning out ace mate, looking forward to following your build.

PS: where did you buy the scale model of parrot, it looks so real man (LOL)

Cool pet companion. I'd be teaching it to hold parts together while the glue dried, always need a third hand. My dog just won't cooperate.

The progress updates may be like watching sausage being made. You don't want to see what goes into it, but it can turn out pretty tasty.

BTW, for those of you who are interested in using brass, there's a new book out by Ken Foran, who is a master of the art. You can see his work at scalemotorcars.com, where his screen name is xken. And if anybody thinks this is easy, he has a thread over there on building an XKE roadster out of brass; he's still working on the engine and the thread is now 43 pages. My point is, that even the most experienced builders go through some phases where things are experimental and look a bit rough.

Book...

http://www.amazon.co...tripbooks%2C207

Reviews...

http://www.scalemoto...book-today.html

XKE brass engine build...

http://www.scalemoto...e-roadster.html

Edited by sjordan

Well i have to say i have been reading this forum for a while now (this is my first post) and Romell your work has always caught my eye ( being that i am a drag racing fan and race/own a 10.5 outlaw and an outlaw big tire car) and I wish I had the patience you do :lol: I have been scratch building and kit bashing for years and you have some great ideas and great methods of doing things.

Forums are full of keyboard tuff guys and i am not a fan boy of any means, if some one does work you like good if not ohh well it takes all types right?

that's my .02 sorry if you ruffle any feathers B)

I wanted to show a few progress pics Hope you enjoy.

Heads are starting to look a bit better although I still have some work to do on them. I had to rebuild one of the heads 3 times before it was right talk about a pain.

motorwork002.jpg

Also got the tunnel ram started ......

motorwork003.jpg

heres a mock up of the four pieces keep in mind these are all still works in progress so thier still a lil ruff ..........

motorwork005.jpg

Edited by Romell R

Thanks for the hard work and stick-to-it-iveness, Rom. Things are shaping up, bud. I, for one, admire what you're doing, working in brass. It's not my particular cup of tea at this point, but I can certainly appreciate the effort and experience you're putting into this and gaining from it. The other thing I want to pat you on the back for is your community-mindedness. You should be admired for that above all else.

Edited by futurattraction

Sometimes an artist has to try doing the same thing with a different material to stretch himself or just to try it. I've done a lot of portraits in pencil and one day wanted to try in airbrush. To be honest, I don't know how much you've worked in brass, but I'm behind ya Rom. You're doing great.

Great Job with the engine so far, Romell! I have to say, that even if the engine could look bit rough when it's under construction, there's lots of work behind and how many of you could build that nice cylinder head from brass? I know that I can't. Anyway you are doing awesome job with this Pro Mod Camaro, this will be amazing when finished.

On that Block do you have closer pics to better see if one cylinder bank sets back further on one side? From the pictures I have looked it for this specific 5.3bore it looks like the passengers side sits back.

It has to be staggered; otherwise the rods would be fighting for the same real estate on the crank. Like most V engines. Should be common knowledge to anyone who actually builds real cars/engines...

It has to be staggered; otherwise the rods would be fighting for the same real estate on the crank. Like most V engines. Should be common knowledge to anyone who actually builds real cars/engines...

Thanks for clearing that up Mark, because I have never built an engine.

Been around them growing up but never the opportunity to build one up from the ground. However when I do look at some of the blocks/heads from this company they look like they are flush from Left to right with the face of the block in relationship to the heads. I take it this must be an optical illusion based on the way the picture was taken?

Rom any more work on this engine or this build. I am itching for updates :lol:

Yeah Chris I been doin a little here and there I have a buddy thats gonna let me come out and use his machine shop next week, so I may be re-building a few of the engine parts. so once I do that I'll be back on this build full force.