For the exterior, I chose to go with Gator board. I went to a local art supply store, and was disappointed to find that they had no smaller sheets in stock... I explained what I needed the Gaotor board for. A helpful staff member replied that her Dad was a firefighter, and that she would check in their framing dept. to see if they had any scraps. SCORE! She came out with a piece that must have been 16"x 48"! And, no charge! That's what I call service! I had done a lot of reading on cutting Gator board - most recommended against hand cutting it. As I don't currently have access to any machinery, I went at it with gusto! I was pleased to find that a sharp utility knife, spare blades and a drywall T-square made quick work of it. Caution is needed, as the outer skins are made of a melamine type fiber, while the inside foam is much softer. Once door and window shapes were cut out, the actual door and windows were test rit. rough openings were fine tuned.
I had purchased some thin wood siding from the miniature shop that I got the Grandt Line pieces from. I carefully cut and fit them to the roofline and windows. After doing so, I just wasn't happy with the look, as the clapboards were too large and out of scale. I again searched local sources for proper scale siding. I was frustrated to find that Evergreen's largest clapboard siding was still too small... I ended up ordering some Plastruct patterned clapboard on-line. That should arrive next week.
The masonry blocks will be replicated with a product called Magic Brik. It features a cut adhesive backed vinyl mask over which you apply a course masonry textured paste. You remove the mask before the paste fully sets up. This leaves a 3D "brick or block" appearance. I am experimenting with different techniques to more closely replicate the block on the original structure. One such experiment involved using artist’s acrylic gesso medium to vary the texture of the blocks. As the blocks are larger than standard bricks, I chose to use their 1/24 scale brick pattern.
Sadly, the fire company's 100th Anniversary celebration was last night. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I was unable to attend. Obviously, the diorama is not finished yet... But, I will endeavor to do the build justice. I have been watching many videos on diorama making, ground cover, pink/blue insulation foam, tall grass, and tree making. As can be seen in the two photos at the beginning of this thread, it is all there... If you made it through my rambling – Thank you. Stay tuned - Film at 11:00… Thanks for looking!