#41 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,608 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:22 PM

Even without exact dimensions and lots of educated guesses, this model is off to a spectacular start.

How do you like working with the Magic Brik so far?

I'll look forward to more updates.

Charlie Larkin

#42 PappyD340

PappyD340

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,159 posts
  • Full Name:Larry Dailey

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:31 AM

Very NICE work, looking forward to seeing more!! :D 

#43 hooknladderno1

hooknladderno1

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Full Name:David Gusky

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

Update!!!

The fire station siding is complete.  I had a chance to visit back home a few months ago.  As some here had suggested, often building materials were sourced from the same suppliers. My best friend and I rode around the area where the firehouse was located, and found an old schoolhouse built around the same time.  We measured and photographed the masonry work.

DSC09254.jpg

DSC09255.jpg

DSC09251.jpg

After returning home, I placed the Magic Brick masonry coating on the building. 

MFC_0422641x800.jpg

DSC09289.jpg

As you can see, the mortar joints are only about 1/2" wide.  After applying gesso to duplicate the high points on the stone, I will apply more in the recesses of the joints to minimize the joint width and make the stone appear larger.   The exposed basement will receive a stucco treatment.  Still lots to do...  Thanks for looking!

David

Edited by hooknladderno1, 29 September 2013 - 05:10 PM.

#44 Ira

Ira

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts
  • Full Name:Ira Dahm

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:06 AM

Great Progress David!

B) 

#45 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

The block looks good!  You even have the right number of courses (14)! This is really coming along nicely.

#46 scaleauto

scaleauto

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Full Name:Vaughn Munroe

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

Looks great David, good job.

#47 misterNNL

misterNNL

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Woodruff

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:44 AM

I can highly recommend a brush-on product for the stucco finish.I bought Liquitex brand product they call Ceramic Stucco.I found in a Micheal's crafts store in the artist supply section.It adheres very well and you can sand it down after it dries overnight to get just the texture you want.You can see how it looks by checking out my 1925 Indian Gas station in the diorama section of this site.I did not paint mine after application.I thought it looked more natural that way.

Your project is looking very good.Also glad to see that you still find time to build even with all the other things going on in your life.I look forward to watching your updates as you post them.

Be sure to sign up for both Micheals crafts and Hobbt Lobby email lists.They will send you a discount coupon every week for a 40% discount on one regularly priced item.Great way to save some of those hard earned dollars!

#48 hooknladderno1

hooknladderno1

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Full Name:David Gusky

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:00 PM

Thanks Tom,

The project has been on the "back burner" for a little bit.  I actually have the Liquitex Ceramic Stucco, Vallejo Pumice, and regular gesso.  I have been playing with all of them and am finding that each works well for different applications.  I have applied some of the gesso to both the "block" surfaces to reproduce the irregular surface detail as well as to the mortar lines to fill in some of the definition of them.  The prototype local building had much narrower mortar lines than the Magic Brik as shown above.

David

#49 Tony-442

Tony-442

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Full Name:Anthony McCormack

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:05 AM

Looks Awesome... More pics.. :)