#1 sak

sak

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Kovak

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

I am beginning to run short or tires. I only build my model in the california style with the wider tires on the rear but have now run out of useable tires. If a model kit comes with custom tires they are usually something low profile which I cannot use. In fact I have been using mismatched tires for awhile now. I like something like a 255/60-15 which it appears is a G60-15 in the old tire code. Now modelhouse does not seem to have any and if they do, they must be in some even older code beacuase everything is a T- something number. Anybody know a good place to find some goodyear polyglass 255/60-15, not nessecarliy goodyear but that size?

#2 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,406 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

I have had some luck finding stuff I needed on fee-bay. (EBAY).

#3 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

The rear tires in the 1/24 (ex-Monogram) '55 Chevy Street Machine kit (as well as the 1/24 Monogram '66 Malibus, '55 Ford Pickups and panels, '69 Camaros. etc.) are going to be close (I think they may be L-60s), but they may be a tad bit too wide.

Which wheels are you planning to use?

#4 sak

sak

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Kovak

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:42 AM

Posted Image
The one one the left is what I am looking for. Not sure where they came from. I used to have quite a few, but these are the last ones I have. It says polyglass gt L60-15. According to my research a L60-15 is equivalent to a 285/60-15. Looks out of scale to me. It is about 13/32 of an inch wide. Diameter is about 1 1/8. Thats about what I am looking for. The wheels? I dont know until I start building a new kit. I usually can a way to make them work.

Edited by sak, 06 May 2012 - 07:50 AM.

#5 mikemodeler

mikemodeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts
  • Full Name:Classified

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:07 AM

It might be time to learn how to cast resin tires. I don't remember seeing those in resin, although I did not check Ma's Resins list, but he would be the first place I would think might have these. You might want to check with The Modelhaus, they may have something close or may be willing to consider casting them.

#6 jeffs396

jeffs396

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:15 AM

Alan @ Ma's reproduces some great BFG radial T/As from an ARII? kit me thinks:

http://public.fotki....ls/bfg-tab.html

Posted Image

#7 Gluhead

Gluhead

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Full Name:It really is Gluhead

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:26 AM

Those look like the standard, in-almost-every-ATM-kit-tooled-in-the-70's-80's tire combo...which were still in at least half of the reissues I bought in the late 90's early 00's. I'm sure there are hundreds floating around in the parts boxes of the members here, and considering how many people build to a more modern look I can't imagine you would have any trouble finding people who are willing to part with them.

#8 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:54 AM

If those are the tires you want, AMT and hollow in the middle, I have at least 6 or 8. PM me if you want them.

#9 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

Those tires are a dime a dozen. Put up a want ad in the wanted section and I'm sure you'll get flooded with responses.

#10 Nick Winter

Nick Winter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,924 posts
  • Full Name:Nicholas J. Winter

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

I for sure have a couple sets around with no purpose, send me a PM if you want them.

Nick

#11 Steven Zimmerman

Steven Zimmerman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • Full Name:Steven

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:17 PM

'Back in the day'....L60 - 15 were always considered to be 275/60 15's when they changed over to the new sizes... H60 became 255/60,.G 60 became 245/60, F 60's were 235/60...N 50 were 295 50's.....'Z'