Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 Shelby GT500 build...on hold for the moment.

brodie_83

Ok, well first of all I was doing a lot of research on where I could find replacement wheels/tires. I didn't like how the sidewall of the stock tires were a little bigger than what the actual 1:1 car was. I finally found my answer today...except they are a tad bit wide...but with a little help from you guys, I believe I can thin them out, along with the tires. Here's what I have so far:

The car I bought at Wal-Mart for the wheels/tires

2012-05-06_13-29-59_888.jpg

2012-05-06_13-30-16_551.jpg

The stock tires are a TAD bit lower profile than the new ones

2012-05-06_13-31-12_462.jpg

A few quick mock-ups with the shell

2012-05-06_14-04-41_351.jpg

2012-05-06_14-06-48_597.jpg

Even the bolt pattern looks like the same scale!

2012-05-06_14-08-39_50.jpg

Wide friggin' wheels/tires!

2012-05-06_14-09-09_81.jpg

I'm going to start assembling the engine/transmission and components today. I need to run to Radio Shack tomorrow to pick up some small wiring to detail the engine with. Stay tuned!

Edited by brodie_83

I got a little bit done on the engine tonight. Assembled the block/trans and heads, and painted it Duplicolor flat aluminum engine paint, along with the supercharger and oil pan separately. I didn't assemble the supercharger because I think I need to get some wires/plumbing stuff before I attach the supercharger to the engine. I also got the valve covers painted blue to match the '11 and up valve covers. I got a nice blue, but it was a gloss, so I had to get a matte clear...which really is too glossy for my taste. That and I took the masking tape off of the spark plug cover on one of the valve covers and the clear stretched with it, making some ripples in it. I may have to strip them and start over, hopefully finding a better blue that is flat. Anyways, on to the pictures...

2012-05-06_19-17-52_781.jpg

2012-05-06_19-18-33_223.jpg

2012-05-06_19-21-44_429.jpg

2012-05-06_19-22-42_193.jpg

2012-05-06_19-23-17_295.jpg

2012-05-06_19-40-28_116.jpg

2012-05-06_19-41-06_657.jpg

2012-05-06_19-41-22_331.jpg

2012-05-06_19-41-36_918.jpg

I'm going to put the valve covers in a tub of Dawn Power Disolver and hopefully in day or two, they'll be stripped and I can start on them again.

Looks cool so far, those rims and tires will look awesome on there! Once you get them the size you want.

The silver you used for the engine is perfect.

I think testors "dullcoat" would be great to flatten out that blue..

Is that "Windsor" in the background?

Steve

Edited by aksarben

Thanks Steve, and I appreciate the help on the wheels/tires. I believe that is Windsor, but its my roomies. LoL I thought about trying the Testors Dullcoat. I'll have to see if Testors has a blue close to the color needed...I dont know what kind of pain the Rustoleum Plastic paint is, so i dont want to spray the clear on it and have it react.

I have used the dullcoat over several types of paint with no reaction including enamels, which i believe the rustolium plastic paint is.

You should just try it out on a test piece, the dullcoat is the best flat clear in my opinion.

Steve

Yesterday I picked up a can of Testors Dullcoat and Testors Bright Blue, which is darn close to the Ford blue that I need. I think I have some white primer somewhere, and that should help with making the blue "pop". Today I picked up a roll of 22 gauge black wire from Radio Shack for detail wiring. The valve covers are also stripped, so I'll be finishing them tonight. Pics of progress will be up tonight sometime. Thanks for tuning in!

I got the valve covers done (finally), and they look great! I am going to wait until they are 100% dry (I have them in the dehydrator and will leave them in until I get back home from work tomorrow) and I'll scrape the very edges of the spark plug covers where the paint build-up edges are from masking them and finish painting the covers. I also painted the fuel rails with Testors silver, which has a higher reflective look and gives a slight polished finish like on the 1:1 engines. Here's tonight's progress pictures...

002.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

014.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

Looks good!

Those covers are begging for the PCV system. :D

You could also throw the EGR on there. Does the kit have one? It looks like a locating hole is there.

Details are so much easier in large scale!

Yes, Im going to be drilling holes and plumbing hoses and wires wherever I can. I agree...this kit is going to be a blast because its so big. This is my first large scale model build, and I have a 1/12 '67 Corvette that just arrived in the mail that will be built also.

I don't like the BIG SCALE but this built got my attention,...Great eye, those wheels will look great on that pony.

What color are you painting the body. Go WESTCOAST CUSTOM on this.....Keep us posted

I would try putting those quater panels too. and the raised hood and that back spoiler...take advantage

of that toy car and make a killer buildt with it

Edited by 3men2s

I already threw the rest of the car away. It wasnt to scale at all besides the wheels/tires. I'm still trying to figure out which route I wanna take with the car...I'm still pushing for K.I.T.T. from the 2008 Knight Rider tv show, but obviously the upgraded year. Id love to scratch-build a Super Snake hood and put some LED's behind the scoop with the trailing effect, but I dont know a ###### thing about wiring them up. I guess we'll see...

Thanks, I hope to do something to lower it a little bit...I've never lowered a model before.

So today's progress is I finished the valve covers (touched up paint, added decals) and glued the oil filter on. The supercharger and valve covers are not glued in just yet. I also am in the middle of painting the front of the engine and the belts. I can't believe how the decals make the engine look so real! Here's the pics for the night. Hopefully more tomorrow...

018-1.jpg

017-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

006.jpg

004-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

And I'm not sure what this jug is for, but on the '11 and up cars, they don't have it, so I removed it. It had an unfinished hole in the back of it anyways, and looked like ###### IMO.

011-1.jpg

Yeah, I just found that plug...oh well. LoL The engine is painted like a '11 and up, so might as well chop the darn thing off anyway. I figure I'd throw a few more pics up since the front engine piece was dry and I did a little detail painting on it (painted supercharger bolts black, as well as inside the alternator vents).

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

024.jpg

023.jpg

I'm very excited with how this car is coming together so far! Can't wait to start plumbing! One thing that I want to do, but I don't know how...make the "wire loom" that runs along the top of the pass. side valve cover and along the fuel rail as pictured below:

Ford-Shelby-GT500_201111.jpg

Maybe I'm just being too picky. I dunno, but I'd really like to start doing wiring/plumbing tomorrow!

I finally was able to get started on mine. I just painted the interior dark tan. The console dashboard steering wheel will all be flat black. How do I get the "Vinyl" look? Will hopefully get more painted tomorrow like the engine & chassis.