1/12 Shelby GT500 build...on hold for the moment.

• You cannot reply to this topic
65 replies to this topic

#41 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,733 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:29 AM

Gorgeous engine work! this is going to be GREAT.

Note - there's nothing wrong with what you're doing with the braided hose, but you might want to look at Alex Kustov'e tutorial on making flexible ducts & hose...quick and simple. Just choose a rod of the diameter you need to wrap the wire around.

http://www.italianho...se/flexhose.htm

Edited by sjordan2, 12 May 2012 - 09:15 AM.

#42 brodie_83

brodie_83

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Full Name:Brodie Nyrud

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:05 PM

Yup, I saw that before. I didn't like the part where paint didn't like to adhere to the tape. I'm sticking with the braided hose. Might make it look better and a little bit modified.

I haven't touched the 'Stang yet today, but I came across a kit that I've been kinda looking for in an antique shop today...an AMT/Ertl '78 Lil Red Express truck. Picked it up for $10, which I thought was a great buy. Then I went to the local hobby store and saw some wheels that looked like the slotted wheels that came with the kit, but bigger, so I bought them. I opened up the kit when I got home and did a mock-up of what I'd like the truck to sit like in the end. I also have spare 5.7 Hemis out of an AMT Chrysler 300C and a Testors '06 Charger R/T that I will stick in the bay instead of the stock 360 Police Interceptor engine. It's not the right place to post it, but I figured I'd share something until I start working on the Shelby again.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And for whoever was looking for the size of steel braided hose I got, here's the 2 sizes. The first one is the bigger size and the 2nd one is the smaller.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now to get back to work on the Shelby... :)

#43 brodie_83

brodie_83

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:30 PM

Sorry about no updates on the car lately...I've been a little busy. I hope to get things rolling on the kit here pretty soon.

#44 surfjunke

surfjunke

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • Full Name:Scott Ridley

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:39 AM

The Stangs egine looks great. Very nice clean work.

#45 brodie_83

brodie_83

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:19 PM

Thanks man! I'm hoping to start again on it tomorrow after work. Might go to Michael's and grab some small wire for detailing wire, since I don't have much thin wire left. I also have a 1:12 '67 Corvette and '69 Camaro that I gotta start planning too.

#46 brodie_83

brodie_83

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:22 AM

Since the forum was down yesterday I couldn't post up any new progress, so here it is:
I drilled holes in the part that goes attaches to the back of the supercharger so I can route lines to a fitting on the side of the supercharger like on the 1:1 cars. Then I cut the lines accordingly to size and put boots on them. I also fabbed up the fitting and glued it to the supercharger. After I painted everything, I glued it all in.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Then I painted and glued the hose that ran from the valve cover to the side of the supercharger. It didn't turn out as perfect as I'd hoped, but it's good enough I guess.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by brodie_83, 21 May 2012 - 08:23 AM.

#47 brodie_83

brodie_83

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:25 AM

After a good nap, I decided to start on the interior pan/engine bay. I painted the interior pan first with a flat black spray paint. Not the best coverage, but it doesn't matter since I'm going to be flocking it. Then after it dried, I wrapped the interior pan in aluminum foil and sprayed the engine bay with some cheap primer I bought at Kmart and Rustoleum Automotive gloss black with no clear coat (doesn't need to be as glossy as the exterior paint). Turned out awesome! There were a few dry spots in between the strut towers and the side walls where the paint was hard to get into, so I went over those parts with some Tamiya gloss black paint with a brush and diluted it with water so it spread nicely with no brush strokes. Then I painted the details (nuts, hoses, etc.).
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Today I'm working on the seats. The fronts have been assembled and were puttied to get rid of the seams yesterday (can still seem some of them, but much better than before). Today after it was dry, I sanded it with 220 (too coarse, but it's all I had) and sprayed the areas down with Duplicolor scratch-filling primer until I got a smooth surface, then sprayed a few light coats of the cheap primer for texture. I hope to have them dried out in the dehydrator in a lil bit, then mask off the seats except for the inserts and spray the inserts with red. After those are dry, I'll mask off the inserts and spray them black. I'm going to be lightly flocking the inserts to replicate suede. Until the next update, thanks for looking!

#48 DanielG

DanielG

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:30 AM

I have not seen this kit in the flesh as yet. Good job on this, looks like it will be great for the super-detail fans among us!
(interesting, sometimes I get this bold face and other times not, without me consciously making a change)

Edited by DanielG, 21 May 2012 - 09:35 AM.

#49 brodie_83

brodie_83

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:55 AM

Thanks! Yes, it is really easy to super-detail. This is my first big-scale kit, besides a 1/16 Trans Am that I never got past the engine and dash. So far I highly recommend this kit to anyone. It's not hard at all to assemble, and it goes together perfectly!

I got one seat in full primer with one light coat of red on it, and the other seat is in priming stages. I'll have pics of the red shot in a few more coats.

Right after finished sanding
Posted Image

Other seat in primer, awaiting red
Posted Image

Line glued into the fitting, awaiting 100% dried glue and it's ready for a few coats of semi-gloss black paint
Posted Image

#50 aksarben

aksarben

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Deisley

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:20 PM

That engine is shaping up nicely Brodie, those lines look very realistic. The interior bay looks great as well.

Steve

#51 brodie_83

brodie_83

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

Thanks man, I'm trying to get as realistic as I can without going too far and screwing it up.

An update...without pics for now...I think I'm gonna have Revell send me a new seat. I tried flocking the red inserts with red flocking to make it look like suede, but ended up looking more like crushed velvet or something out of a dumb lowrider. I left my camera downstairs, so I'll upload the pictures in a lil bit. I was very impressed with the masking job I did though...the black with red looked awesome! I think it'll be easier to order a new seat than to have it soak for a long time in Dawn Power Dissolver. Oh well. Now I know that I need to get more of that cheap flat black from Kmart because it had the perfect sheen of leather, and also need to get a flat red. I used gloss simply because I was flocking over it and laying down a layer of flat clear with a brush before flocking so it had something to stick to. Oh well...worse things have happened I guess.

#52 knyte91

knyte91

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Full Name:Kirt Louis Dillon

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

Hey Brodie,
looks like the Mustang is coming along nice. Cant wait to see it finished. Congrats on the Lil red express. Those are a nice kit. Ive had mine for about 5 yrs now. goodluck with your builds.

#53 Bennyg

Bennyg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • Full Name:Ben Glasby

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:55 PM

Looks awesome, can't wait to see more.
Ben

#54 Hippie

Hippie

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Full Name:Erik H

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:48 PM

First off it looks great and second if you want added more of the wiring you might want to look at this: http://www.automotiv...ad.php?t=905115

Hope it helps.

Edited by Hippie, 22 May 2012 - 01:39 PM.

#55 brodie_83

brodie_83

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

Sorry for not uploading the pics of the one seat lastnight...I was way too tired. Again, I really love the black with the red inserts...I just need to keep them painted and not flock the inserts. It was something I wanted to try, but ended up looking like garbage. Here's the pics:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And with the flocking...ick!
Posted Image

#56 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,016 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

I agree, the flocking did not look good. The red paint looked pretty good I think. Hey, ya never know till you try right ?

#57 kruleworld

kruleworld

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Full Name:Walter Strider

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:51 PM

hmm, not sure the best way around the flocking. perhaps wash it off and just dull-cote the red paint?

#58 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts
  • Full Name:Name Full

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

Dang, pics aren't showing.

#59 knyte91

knyte91

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Full Name:Kirt Louis Dillon

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

I noticed the same thing about the pics.

#60 brodie_83

brodie_83

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:42 PM

This is why I hate Photobucket...sorry guys, gonna have to wait till the end of the month.