#21 shucky

shucky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeLuco

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:00 AM

Over the past 20+ years I've done the plastic "welding" thing myself on various builds that I felt required additional strength. Particularly useful when I chopped and sectioned a 53 Ford. Regardless of what others may think, this is much stronger than using any type of glue only. I tacked the upper and lower body pieces together first using CA then proceeded to plastic "weld" the seem (fumes are crazy bad though). I find this really useful when doing a load of body work that will require a lot of sanding and handling. It does indeed make the seem very strong, much more so than simply using any glue or even epoxy. Last year I chopped and sectioned a 32 Ford Sedan and DID NOT plastic weld the seems. Used CA only. I found myself being extra delicate with handling and sanding and still managed to crack the body 2-3 times whereas when I did the plastic welding it did not happen at all. Basically if you dont like it or dont want to do it, then dont LOL. But it does work well.  

#22 Pro Wrench

Pro Wrench

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Full Name:Curt Scott

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

Ive never used this method on a model but I have used this numerous times on 1:1 cars and it works FAR better than any glue. In fact, there is a BMW 525i running around town that I welded the busted gas tank on that no glue on the market would hold. I definitely plan on using this method as much as possible on my models now.

As far as the tutorial, it was full of great information and very well done. I dont undrstand why people have to be rude and basically infer that the original poster is an idiot when its obvious they likely havent tried it so have no idea if it works. What ever happened to just saying thanks for the effort of putting the tutorial together or holding your tongue if you dont plan to ever use the posted method?