#21 dieseldog1970

dieseldog1970

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Full Name:Curt Stickley

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:18 AM

Hey Leo, sorry to hear about you not being an O/O anymore, what year of Star did you own? The truck market has always been an up and down business, WST did not rely on the north american market for sales, we built trucks for all over the world. Everything from mine trucks to those wildly painted trucks going down under!! The one thing that bit Frieghtliner in the butt was their "guaranteed buy back program" The market was booming in the late 90's, and they had a deal where if you did not like it, they would buy it back! The market took a dump, and they were stuck with a whole bunch of used and sales bank trucks!! We got caught with a bunch of overstock too, had trucks all over Kelowna in empty fields, took quite awhile to get rid of them all.
I remember taking the first Italeri Western Star (Kit#790) from the warehouse directly to the head office for final approval, I asked if I could have it after...guess somebody needed it more than me!!! LOl I would love to see one of the model company's tool up a Lowmax, that thing looked wicked parked next to a standard 4900!!

#22 lapazleo

lapazleo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Full Name:Leo Bishop

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

Had 2000 4900ex a 2004 4900fa and a 2004 4900ex. A lowmax kit would be super I believe with some resin an Italerie kit and some worl it could be done.

#23 dieseldog1970

dieseldog1970

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:19 PM

I was working in the warehouse around that time (2000)...receiving, stocking and shipping, I would be 100% positive I would have had your engine sitting on the forks of my forklift! Running bulk parts like engines, tranny's and diff's on a daily basis, I could go through TWO thirty pound tanks of propane in an 8 hour shift, the warehouse was a constant beehive of activity. Still recall unloading that John Deere diesel for one of the show trucks, not very often we would see that colour in the staging area!!!

#24 lapazleo

lapazleo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:40 AM

Cool my 2000 had an n14 500 it was all white fuel tanks and all. Had a million three when I traded up. Hey Moebius Dave maybe a Western Star next?

#25 dieseldog1970

dieseldog1970

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:59 AM

When I was working on the line at West line center, only thing I seen was frame rails, suspensions and diffs and engines, never seen the finished truck unless I worked in Final on the weekends. That was good for overtime, and not as much pressure to finish before the line moved. Through the years, had various people come for tours, Roger Penske and Paul Tracey were two of the most famous. Built some trucks for some well known people too, I was able to sign both of the trucks we built for Warren Johnson (NHRA Pro Stock driver) of the three total that he purchased. First one was built prior to me working there, newest ones were for him and KJ and their pro stock operation.

#26 lapazleo

lapazleo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

Very interesting career.

#27 lapazleo

lapazleo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:09 AM

Just noticed on the 1;1 forum a topic about a cool website called straight stack .com under the White gallery there are some great pics of vintage Western Star log trucks the upcoming AMT WS would be great for.

#28 pete3522

pete3522

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Full Name:Craig Robert

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

heres a pic of a western star i built a few months ago Posted Image

#29 window

window

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Full Name:Matt Paine

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:44 PM

Here is something you don't probably know, J.D. Powers rated WST number one in customer satisfaction 4 years in a row!!! Including 2002 when they were shutting the doors and moving the operation, not bad for a company that only held 2-3 percent of the truck market!!! In fact, when they had the second plant going in Charleston, South Carolina...we had quiet a few of our southern neighbours wanting their trucks built in Canada!! I have a brochure for export trucks packed away, when I get the house selling/shopping done, I can scan the pics and post here. There is a REALLY cool military 4X4 that I would LOVE to build!!!!

hey mate, got pics of the 4x4?

#30 Duggz

Duggz

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Full Name:Doug Wilson

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:39 PM

"Walker Sand & Stone" I did some electrical work at their shop a couple of years ago. How crazy to see a pic of one of their trucks on here. lol

#31 Duggz

Duggz

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Full Name:Doug Wilson

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

I want to build me one or two of them.

#32 dieseldog1970

dieseldog1970

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

hey mate, got pics of the 4x4?

All packed away for now...will scan and post when I am able.