So if you had a choice of paint brands which would you pick?

• You cannot reply to this topic
71 replies to this topic

#41 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,090 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:29 PM

I have been trying and using testor enamels with lacquer thinner, and for me its hit or miss, but when it works, man is it nice, and the shine, wow, there is really no need for a clear coat other then just the seal it up.

#42 Dragline

Dragline

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Frias

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

Really depends on what I'm trying to achive. I have had luck with EVERY brand of paint I've tried.

I just bought some Black Gold aerosols at NNl east and they are phenomenal!

I've used Testors and Tamiya synthetic laquers with excellent reults. I even painted my Snake Cuda in one day with a combination of Duplicolor primer, Tamiya color [Decals between] and finally Testors 1814 Enamel clear coat... All in the same day at 92 degress and bone dry last year.

I use Duplicolor acrylic clear over anything I want and as long as it's dry it comes out great. For giggles I shot it on a rather wet day and it clouded and then cleared up for a super hard finish that was as clear as a bell.

Duplicolor colors are far more finicky and require almost zero humidity to shoot without blushing.

Depending on the day and what you are trying to achieve, and your relative comfort level, all paints offer excellent results with experience and technique.

I can offer examples as needed.

Bob

Paint is your friend, get to know it.....

Edited by Dragline, 11 May 2012 - 03:45 PM.

#43 Malard

Malard

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Full Name:Aaron Porter

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

Is it the propelant in rattle cans that causes problems? Seems like 9 out of 10 times i get tiny bubbles that cluster around fenders, window wells etc. Especially with laquer, im using krylon primer. I really want to get into using airbrushing.

#44 Monty

Monty

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • Full Name:Monty

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:25 AM

Hey guys well I'll have to try Tamiya paints.Anyone try humbrol?

I can vouch for their enamels. The pigments are very finely ground and come in an extensive range of colors. While they may not offer fifty (hyperbole) shades of metallic blue like Model Master enamels or Tamiya lacquers, their gloss colors offer great coverage and airbrush nicely (reduce them with lacquer thinner for better results).

Their military & other flat finish colors work very well for car interiors & can be gloss coated with good results for car bodies.

They also offer a few candy colors (red, green and an orangey-yellow) and their own MetalCote line (enamels), which I believe preceded the Model Master Metalizers.

Two bits of advice:

1) Never rely on published paint color charts when buying colors you're not familiar with. In my experience, Humbrol, Testors and many others are so far off it's scary. See if you can find a couple different Google images of items painted in the color you're intersted in.

2) get one of these
Posted Image

Over long periods of time, Humbrol paints may start to separate (as will Testors), but a few minutes with one of these will return it to like-new condition. They're fairly inexpensive, but take my advice and get this one instead of the slightly cheaper Micro-Mark version

#45 Chillyb1

Chillyb1

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Full Name:Curtis

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:26 PM

I'm using Krylon primer.

That's your problem. Try using something else. Many modelers like Duplicolor. I don't. I prefer to use Tamiya primer on bodies and inexpensive Colorplace on everything else. That Krylon stuff is just asking for trouble.

#46 Malard

Malard

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Full Name:Aaron Porter

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

Ill have to try it thanks!

That's your problem. Try using something else. Many modelers like Duplicolor. I don't. I prefer to use Tamiya primer on bodies and inexpensive Colorplace on everything else. That Krylon stuff is just asking for trouble.

#47 Lovefordgalaxie

Lovefordgalaxie

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
  • Full Name:Túlio Lazzaroni

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

Well, I would say, that in my oppinion there is no paint like Tamiya when the subject is spray cans. Perfect results avery single time. Their clear coats are also the very best. never got any good result with the spray paints from Testors, but theys acrylics and enamels work great for frames, floor pans, engines, etc.
Humbrol enamels are great for airbrushing a car body, but never got a result as good as with Tamiya spray cans.

#48 RedBanditCustoms

RedBanditCustoms

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Full Name:Michael G

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

Im sticking with Tomiya Sprays for the body work. But when it comes to brush and paint I'm good with the good ol' Testors!

#49 matador88

matador88

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:28 AM

for gloss finish:
gunze - gsi creos - C class (lacquer)
OR
automotive paint (non waterborne)

for junkers and rust:
tamiya acrylics

#50 AMT Pacemakers

AMT Pacemakers

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Full Name:Robert

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:49 AM

I've been using Valspar spraycans and really like them for their smooth finish.

http://www.valsparpa...pray-paint.html

Robert

#51 68gtex

68gtex

Looker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin Smith

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:30 AM

try going to a local bodyshop,...they always have bits of paint daily that don't get used, and they usually throw it away anyway. most shops now use water base paint, and it works fine. take a small bottle with you and ask them for some flow agent to thin it for an air brush. it sprays realy nice and you can flash each coat with your air brush by fan spraying. then clear with whatever suits you. i have used everything from automotive urathane clear to spray can clear to future floor polish with good results.

#52 Deathgoblin

Deathgoblin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Wilson

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:47 AM

Typically I use Testor's.  Since I'm usually closest to a Hobby Lobby, it's just easier to run in there when I need paint.  I've used Duplicolor a few times and their paints work really well.  I'd be tempted to use them again.  Now that there's a Hobbytown USA nearer my home, I may start trying the Tamiya paints.

#53 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,410 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:54 AM

Here in the Lab-RAT-ory we use the following:

PRIMER:  EXCLUSIVELY PLASTIKOTE (in all its different colors)

PAINTS:  Testors, House of Kolor, Auto Air, Nail Polish Lacquers, Vallejo Model Air, AK-INTERACTIVE

CLEARS:  DuPont Spot Acrylic Clear and Testor's Enamel Clear

#54 scaleauto

scaleauto

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Full Name:Vaughn Munroe

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:19 AM

Depending on what I am doing, what I use:

PRIMER: Tamiya gray and white primer - always warmed before spraying directly from rattle can

PAINT: Testors, Humbrol, Model Master and nail polish - always warmed

CLEAR: Wet look clear

THINNER: Lacquer Thinner for thinning enamel for airbrush and cleaning airbrush and brushes.  Mineral Spirits for thinning brushed on paints and washes.

WASHES: Mineral spirits for enamel paints, alcohol for inks 

#55 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,809 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

Wow! Bringing back an ancient thread!

I own two air brushes but exclusively use rattle cans.  I like Duplicolor automotive paints, which I use for  most everything.  I like to spray vs brush, so I will mount up even the smallest parts to spray them. I will also tape things off etc, to get the sprayed even finish.  I also like a couple of Testors products.  I use their Dullcote extensively since I do a lot of weathering.  I also like the Metalizer line of metal finishes. 

I use Duplicolor primers for everything.  I will try a variety of flat greys and flat blacks as even the cheap brands give different tones when I need to distinguish chassis or interior parts etc. 

I've bought a few Tamiya paints but don't have a lot of experience with them at this point.

#56 Rob McKee

Rob McKee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Full Name:Rob McKee

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

For me I use Tamiya spray cans and acylic for airbrushing and hand brushing.

I know Tamiya spray cans are a little pricey but I have always got great results from it. I will use Testors enamel when I cannot find a color in the Tamiya line I want to use. Using light mist coats and allowing lots of time to dry good results can be had with Testors.

Occasionally I will use Krylon for semi-gloss black.

The other paint I use is Alclad for chrome and metallic pieces.

#57 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  • Full Name:John "the Buzzard" Buzzerio

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

Tamiya spray (TS series) and Testors One-Coat Lacquers, anytime.  For basic flat black or white, the cheapest stuff that Lowes sells.  For military flat colors, even on to use on cars, Testors enamel sprays.

#58 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,090 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

Paint

For Air Brush, Scale Finishes all the way

Cans- Tamiya, Model Master Lacquer, and sometimes cheap wally world paint or Krylon

Primer-  Now Tamiya,Duplicolor, wally world color palace primer

Clear- Mr Hobby Clear(hard to get in the states), Model Master Ultra clear and One coat Lacquer , one day I will start A/B clear coats

#59 philo426

philo426

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

I use Tamiya and ModelMaster acrylics.

#60 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

If you have an airbrush you really should check out the Testors Aztec airbrush paint. Really sweet!

http://www.testors.c...e_Acrylic_Paint

Edited by Draggon, 27 February 2013 - 02:59 PM.