Lonestar beater FINISHED!
Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:19 PM
Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:00 PM
Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:06 PM
Anywho, started work on the cab's finish. I used the salt technique and a little selective sanding to distress it- it still needs a bit of fine tuning, but this is the gist. Oh, those tabs molded along the rockers don't seem to serve any purpose, so I removed them after I snapped this photo.
I recently saw an early 1990's-ish Freightliner with a piece of plywood in place of a broken sleeper window, so I cut a few thin scraps of birch to make such a panel for my Lonestar.
I wanted to replicate a missing inside door panel, so the driver's side piece was filed down and openings were cut into it as shown. It's not a 100% accurate depiction of the 'nekkid' inner door structure, but it'll do for me. Much of it will be somewhat obscured one installed, anyhow.
I stuck a parts-box power window switch onto the door, and used some scrap copper wires to represent the harness leading to the motor in the door. Just like the one in my buddy Matt's '81 Regal back in high school!
I borrowed another cue from beaters I've seen and duct-taped a trash bag to the door to cut down a bit on drafts, and cover up the open holes in the door. The duct tape is BMF, while the trash bag is a small piece cut from a real trash bag. Another scrap of birch wood was glued across the top.
The interior isn't too badly trashed- it's more or less inspired by the conditon of my cousin's old Transtar Eagle before it was hauled off. The ripped up driver's side bucket seat got a little duct tape of its own, a few old newspapers were strewn about, and there's a box from a wiper blade on the floor, and a case of Bar's Leaks nearby. The interior is also grimed up a bit. Might add a bit more, but those are the main elements.
Hopefully I'll have the cab permanently installed later today, I guess we'll just have to see.
Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:31 AM
Added a couple of stone pecks, one of which sprouted a crack.
I assembled and painted the air intact ducts, and repaired a hole with an old Hills Bros. coffee can and (you guessed it) more duct tape. Hey, at least the tape is being used on an actual duct for a change!
Here it is in place.
And here is the hood installed- I did tweak the hinge a little for best possible fit, but getting close now!
Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:07 AM
Edited by camaro68, 19 May 2012 - 05:11 AM.
Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:48 AM
Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:08 AM
i know whit a crack in the windshield i came not inside for loading the send you away at the gate at the chemicalplant
and in the early years the big man looks in the weekends how your truck looks in the inside and mondaymorning he trow a bucket whit water inside no matter if you sits in the chear
if you keep it not clean and than he says firts cleaning for you hit the road
Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:22 PM
Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:03 PM
Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:04 PM
Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:47 PM
Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:40 PM
Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:15 AM
Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:57 AM