Just because we can:Car to truck conversion.

• You cannot reply to this topic
66 replies to this topic

#21 Austin T

Austin T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts
  • Full Name:Austin Tyler

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

Thats some pretty cool stuff Dan.Ok I've come up with a name and slogan for my build,The Dodge Conquistador:Venturing beyond.Is there any way I can get someone to make decals or photo etch for the badges?

Edited by Austin T, 21 May 2012 - 06:02 PM.

#22 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Ely

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:49 PM

I have a theme for my 300 pickup as well - It's a factory "dream car" from the auto show circuit with all the oddities that the show car had: A Plymouth engine, for instance. It toured under the name "Westerner", as a play on the Chrysler "New Yorker".

#23 Austin T

Austin T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:53 AM

I like that,pretty cool.It's ashamed that GM said "Just take them to the nearest junkyard", At least most of them were rescued and resorted.

#24 Wayne's World

Wayne's World

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Full Name:W. Wayne Gray

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:06 PM

RM Caprice Taxi or Impala Police kit. Maybe a 58 Belvedere, or a Marauder. One way or another, I'll join this build. I'll decide by the beginning of the next week.

#25 Austin T

Austin T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

I thought about the 58' Plymouth too,I think it would turn out good.

#26 S. Svendsen

S. Svendsen

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • Full Name:Sean Svendsen

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

I've been working on a Buick "Grand Camino" (a Buick grand national front clip mated to a chevy el camino). Does that count?

#27 Austin T

Austin T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

Sounds interesting,I'd like to see how it turns out.By the way I like what you did with the Wildcat awhile back.Anyways since it never went into production or existed I'm fine with it.

#28 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:18 PM

I've been working on a Buick "Grand Camino" (a Buick grand national front clip mated to a chevy el camino). Does that count?

Along these same lines, Pontiac made a couple of LeMans/El Camino prototypes around 1980 that looked great! At least one of them still exists in the G.M. Museum in Detroit.

#29 S. Svendsen

S. Svendsen

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:49 AM

Here's the '70 Buick Wildcat pickup I built using the custom parts from the '70 Bonneville kit. Here's a link to the build story. http://homepage.mac....kboat_page.html

Posted Image

Posted Image

#30 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,113 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:33 AM

I've had this one collecting dust for a couple of years .
Posted Image

It's the old 1989 AMT Ecto 1a kit, with a widened El Camino roof. The interior tub is the Ecto part cut down just behind the seat, and I'm leaving it a cubside. I'd originaly planned to use it as a hauler for a Revell Midget. The Midget will fit in the cargo bed, but I overlooked the one minor little detail of the Midget being too wide to fit through the tailgate. :P

#31 Austin T

Austin T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:01 PM

Looks cool Chuck,I was at a show and some one had a R&M streamline go cart on a revell midget trailer.The only problem was that there would be no way that the cart could go up the ramps because they were to far apart!It was a little detail that I thought was kinda funny.

I will start the build as soon as my charger comes in through the mail,I will also update the list soon.

Edited by Austin T, 30 May 2012 - 04:04 PM.

#32 Badluck 13

Badluck 13

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Stiles

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:50 AM

Here's the '70 Buick Wildcat pickup I built using the custom parts from the '70 Bonneville kit. Here's a link to the build story. http://homepage.mac....kboat_page.html

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thats awesome!!!!,looks like GM shoulda' done,their big miss but your beauty.....

#33 Austin T

Austin T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

Ok got the charger in the mail and drew out the cut lines.I think I know how to cut it,but i'm a little unsure.I'm questioning the design right now,but I will carry on.

#34 Austin T

Austin T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:42 PM

OK,went at it full throttle today.Once the styrene dust and bondo particles settled I had a basic 68 dodge charger/pickup.I also got the new issue of MCM in the mail toady and Mr.Tim Boyd beat me to it by about 30 years and made a charger pick-up.I will still carry on though!No pic's cause camera is lost some wheres.

#35 jcbigpaw

jcbigpaw

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Full Name:joe colvin

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

I love this idea. I've got several ideas I've been brewing for some time along these lines. One is a 46-48 ford conversion using the sedan body w a truck bed but not really an el camino so would that qualify? The other I've been dying to build was a Krass & Bernie creation made from a dodge Daytona. I'll see if I can squeeze it in. Keep up the good work guys.

Edited by jcbigpaw, 08 June 2012 - 05:57 PM.

#36 S. Svendsen

S. Svendsen

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

Here's a shot of the progress so far on my Grand Camino GNX. It has a front clip and hood from the old MPC Southern Stocker mated to an AMT/Ertl El-Camino.

Posted Image

#37 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

That Buick conversion looks SWEET! Just the way GM would have done it if they had the guts to try to sell something like that. They did a couple of prototypes based on mating an El Camino with a Pontiac LeMans front clip, and this works just as well to me.

(Hmmm... I just came into an 80's El Camino glue bomb, and I have a Monte Carlo that could offer up it's higher-line-than-Malibu front clip... I wonder... :huh:)

#38 Austin T

Austin T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

Sorry I have let this one die,hopefully I can get pic's up before I leave for camp on the 9th.

#39 Austin T

Austin T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

Just some basic pic's of in progress.Attached File  1D24CFC2.jpg   78.4KB   1 downloadsAttached File  5B9E3785.jpg   53.45KB   7 downloadsAttached File  6F561894.jpg   56.51KB   12 downloadsAttached File  A053711F.jpg   62.22KB   20 downloadsAttached File  CD585C16.jpg   77.53KB   18 downloads

#40 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,113 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:24 PM

After a year and four months... here we go! I added a widened rear El Camino bulkhead to the body, and cut down the kit windshield unit to fit the long-since-installed widened Elco roof.
Posted Image