#41 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,015 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:39 AM

I'm going for the Walker Bulldog. 500hp six.

#42 jaydar

jaydar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Full Name:Joseph J. Taylor

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

The Ram pickip would be cool if it is a current 2500. Otherwise the GTX is about it.

When do we get the '62 Vette?

Joe.

#43 Jon Cole

Jon Cole

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,413 posts
  • Full Name:Jon... although my parents used to call me "KNOCK IT OFF!"

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

The Ram pickip would be cool if it is a current 2500. Otherwise the GTX is about it.

When do we get the '62 Vette?

Joe.

Not current. Looks to be a reissue of the 90's kit.

Posted Image

Edited by Jon Cole, 25 May 2012 - 10:49 AM.

#44 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:41 AM

wow quite a lineup. i have a couple questions:

that boot hill express, the skeleton, looks kinda familiar. is that sourced from the original monogram lil coffin? has it always been in this kit (edit: "this kit" meaning the boot hill express)? (i assume it has, i have just never had that kit). are there other parts similarities with the lil coffin?

i am glad to have the challenger I back, lots of kool parts there even if you dont build the car itself.

those foose things look pretty kool as drawings; i wonder how they will translate to real life.

why in the world would they tool up a new (original style) mini cooper when they then go head to head with an excellent (and probably superior) version from tamiya, just to mention one company? or do you suppose they are using their tooling and selling it under the revell name? real strange how this stuff works sometimes.

i might get that black diamond pirate ship, just for future "most obscure kit you never knew existed" opportunities.

arent all the 1/25 offerings reissues? i would not think it would make global market sense to be tooling new stuff in 1/25, not when youre competing in the biggest markets, asia and particularly japan.

Edited by jbwelda, 25 May 2012 - 11:31 AM.

#45 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

why in the world would they tool up a new (original style) mini cooper when they then go head to head with an excellent (and probably superior) version from tamiya, just to mention one company? or do you suppose they are using their tooling and selling it under the revell name? real strange how this stuff works sometimes.

ROG also did a Citroen 2CV last year - and there were two kits already (a very nice Tamiya kit and a Gunze kit), so maybe they (European, Japanese builders) wonder why Americans have so many Camaro kits. As far as I know, it's a completely new tool for the Mini, as was the 2CV.

#46 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:30 AM

well *I* wonder why americans have so many camaros, err, camaro kits, too!

anyway i read back through the thread and i understand the mini thing a little better now if the tamiya is indeed undersized and if dude with the mini fascination/obsession says it is then i believe him. just seems a strange thing to invest in new tooling over (if, indeed, it is new tooling).

erik have you done a side by side of the 2cv kits, tamiya vs revell OG? i have the tamiya one but not the other and i wonder if they share tooling just like i wonder if the minis share tooling with a japanese release.

#47 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts
  • Full Name:Daddy Day Care Now Open!

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

i have the tamiya one but not the other and i wonder if they share tooling just like i wonder if the minis share tooling with a japanese release.

No they do not share any tooling, both kits are completely brand new, from the ground up Revell AG tooling. The Revell 2CV is a 1982 2CV Charleston, whereas the Tamiya is a base model representing a 1960's model.

You also have to remember that the Tamiya tooling for both of these kits was done in the 1980's, and they were domestic market releases (meaning for Japan/Asia). If the Revell 2CV is any indication they're tooled up to current modern standards, and is just a wee bit better all the way around. The Revell AG tooling for these two kits is primarily a European market release that is nearly 30 years newer than the Tamiya kits. The internet has certainly shrunk the world of this hobby making it much easier to obtain kits that weren't aimed for the U.S., which makes it easy to do a "Why are they re-doing xyz?!?!" when in fact they aren't doing it for us in the first place. ;)

The 2CV was never reboxed for North America, if you want one you have to have one imported from Germany like you did if you wanted a Trabant, London Bus, or a M-B SLS AMG. So I find it interesting that Revell is going to rebox the Mini for the North American market. Also interesting that they are going to rebox the 599 GTO, but not the 599 SA Aperta.

Posted Image

Overall these fall releases are a huge snore-festival to me. The only 3 pieces of new tooling on that list are the Mini, the Ferrari 599 (both of which aren't even domestic market Revell tools, and the Snap-Tite version of the Pirate Ship (which for those who want one, there already exists a glue version). The only reissue that would have interested me was the GNX, but I found one of the older "High Tech" original releases for $10 on eBay a few months ago. I would expect nothing but some half-baked attempts at the wheels in the Foose kits, much the way the California Wheels kits are done.

#48 sports850

sports850

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Full Name:Ian White

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

No , as I mentioned earlier in this thread the ROG doesn't look like a repop of the Tamiya kit , the ROG one is slightly larger which hopefully corrects Tamiya's one being smaller than correct scale , the ROG one has 90 parts according to their website where the Tamiya one ranges from 130ish to 140ish depending on which version .

#49 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,895 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:28 PM

that boot hill express, the skeleton, looks kinda familiar. is that sourced from the original monogram lil coffin? has it always been in this kit (edit: "this kit" meaning the boot hill express)? (i assume it has, i have just never had that kit). are there other parts similarities with the lil coffin?

It appears to be the same skeleton as in the Lil Coffin kit, but I believe it has always been part of the Boot Hill Express kit.

The rear slicks and sidewall inserts are similar between the LC and BHE kits (and also the LIttle T and Orange Hauler kits), but they Torq Thrust rear wheels are slightly different, with the LC's being nicer IMHO, not to mention having a very nice, separate dust cap. Other than that, I don't think these two share much else in common, unless the early Hemi block and heads are the same?

I don't think it's surprising Revell made it's biggest splash at the Toy & Hobby Show in October, announcing new releases there, leaving mostly straight reissues for the second half of 2012. I think the '99 and '93 Cobra kits, as well as the Vandal were getting a bit pricey and more difficult to find, so it's nice that Revell is producing them again.

I'm clueless why the Ram VTS kit is back in production, and the ex-snap '84 Z/28 Camaro was last produced in the "Motorworx" line not all that long ago. In fact, several of these reissues were in the RMX lineup within the last eight years or so (GNX excepted), so I don't see much "digging deep" in this round of releases.

As for the Foose '68 Firebird and '67 Coronet, I would expect CA Wheels style rolling stock, but from the look of the 'bird's wheels, they will be more like the AMT "Rides" series kits' wheels. :o

#50 Mr. Moparman

Mr. Moparman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Full Name:Brandon Henderson

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:42 PM

One word.......... DAYTONA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew it was a matter of time!!!!! I will definatly be getting 2 or 3 of them since I destoried my last one!!!!!!!!!!!

#51 mrmike

mrmike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Full Name:Michael R. Siesicki

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:15 PM

I gotta get the Foose '67 Coronet!

#52 Luc Janssens

Luc Janssens

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:17 PM

Not current. Looks to be a reissue of the 90's kit.

Too, bad no one does the new style Dodge Ram"s, believe it or not but they're a big hit here in the Antwerp area, of the 10 P/U's I see, 8 are Ram's.
It's a fiscal thing, cuz since they are trucks the owners pay far less taxes then or a car with the same engine displacement.
Also many run on LPG

#53 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts
  • Full Name:Name Full

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:48 AM

Yeah I'm surprised that Revell hasn't done any of the new pickups yet. They are popular, and provide plenty of customization options. Plus they would provide more options for tow vehicles.

#54 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,895 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:42 AM

Yeah I'm surprised that Revell hasn't done any of the new pickups yet. They are popular, and provide plenty of customization options. Plus they would provide more options for tow vehicles.

Not to be Debbie Downer, but it's been mentioned a few that model kit based on "new" (as in recent model years) pickups do not sell well, so that's why we see very few tooled up. Just look at the first page about and you'll see what does sell- Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros, Ferraris, and musclecars.

#55 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts
  • Full Name:Name Full

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

What kits is this based on? The '99 Silverado may not have sold well because it was only a 2WD 1500 model. Ford had either the basic F150 or the Harley Davidson models. Newest Dodge had was the 2nd Gen. I think if they released a 4WD HD model, then they would possibly sell better. Why did they rerelease the '90s F250 kit? 2WD wasn't probably the best decision, but it sold because it was an HD model that could be used for many different types of vehicles. Sure the subjects you mentioned sell well, but they have been kitting some unique vehicles lately that have been selling.

Again, this is where a poll would be great to put out, to see in fact whether a new truck kit would potentially be a hit.

#56 Junkman

Junkman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts
  • Full Name:Christian

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

Lots of cool stuff coming, but I have to ask... don't you think they're about six years too late jumping on the Foose bandwagon?

In model kit industry terms that's lightning quick.

Anyway, nothing in it for me this time. I either already have it in abundance, or I'm not interested. Guess I will buy a bunch of diecasts this autumn.

#57 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,895 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:44 AM

What kits is this based on? The '99 Silverado may not have sold well because it was only a 2WD 1500 model. Ford had either the basic F150 or the Harley Davidson models. Newest Dodge had was the 2nd Gen. I think if they released a 4WD HD model, then they would possibly sell better. Why did they rerelease the '90s F250 kit? 2WD wasn't probably the best decision, but it sold because it was an HD model that could be used for many different types of vehicles. Sure the subjects you mentioned sell well, but they have been kitting some unique vehicles lately that have been selling.

Again, this is where a poll would be great to put out, to see in fact whether a new truck kit would potentially be a hit.

It was mentioned in at least two threads in Gen. Disc. in the past year or so, and Tim Boyd may have been one person who mentioned it? Someone else who attended iHobby also mentioned that the big sellers are Snap kits, Corvettes, and Ferraris.

#58 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,895 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:35 AM

The Foose kits have a lot of potential is they are fairly faithful to the renderings. I'd hate to see them be reissues with different wheels and decals. I'll be getting the coronet for sure, specifically for the wheels if they are like the picture. I've got a project they'd be perfect on!

I'm going to guess that's exactly what they will be. The '68 Firebird appears to use Foose "500" wheels and the '67 Coronet Foose "Coronet" wheels, which appear to be loosely based on the vintage Magnum 500 style wheel. I suspect both kits will have California Wheels series tires and new decal sheets which will include the "billboard"-ish rear quarter panel stripes for the 'bird and a new bumblebee (maybe closer to the more recent rumblebee truck stripe) butt stripe for the Coronet.

It'll be interesting to see if Revell tools up new, lowered suspensions for these kits, but I doubt it, since there may not be enough space inside the wheelwells at the kit-stock ride heights.

#59 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Full Name:Wilbert flores

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:02 AM

I'm saving money for those Foose and the Shelby Cobra for sure:)

#60 JollySipper

JollySipper

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Full Name:TJ Charles

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:26 PM

Anyone else catch this? Most of the cars that Chip chose to "overhaul" on the show, Revell already had in their arsenal....