#21 GrandpaMcGurk

GrandpaMcGurk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Full Name:Don

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:05 PM

Here's a comparison between my "prepped" block and the one that was assembled right from the box.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A little more touch up and I'll drill holes in the centers of the molded in bolt heads, then carefully slice them off the block. Brass bolts will be installed in their place.

#22 GrandpaMcGurk

GrandpaMcGurk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:40 AM

Onward & upward as they say......
Here's a shot what Pocher figures Rick & I want for cam covers........baby butt smooth and reeking of plastic toy car.

Posted Image

Lets see if I can can give 'em a little personality being this is a custom build.
First order of biz is to treat them to a taste of texture (don't want a polished slick look) so I gave them a light dusting with this stuff.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk, 01 June 2012 - 08:41 AM.

#23 GrandpaMcGurk

GrandpaMcGurk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:50 AM

Now for some color....NO WAY...did I want to open the hood of this Willys Woody to be hit in the face with those fire truck Ferrari red cam covers......looked through my Pantone color charts and came to the conclusion that I would have to mix something up that would at least to some degree reflect what the final color (hint) of the fenders and hood would be. These pics are really large and the covers are no where near as gritty as they appear, actually to the naked eye ball the have a very subtle texture.
Being I custom mixed the paint, I figured I'd get to name it...it'll be called "Wildwood Farms Burgundy Wine" Ha, Ha!
Posted Image

That's a Ferrari red cover in the background.

Posted Image

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk, 02 June 2012 - 01:09 AM.

#24 GrandpaMcGurk

GrandpaMcGurk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

Added the cover bolts, valve cover to belt cover seals, spark plugs... even though they won't show under the boots, started detailing and did a quick eye ball mock-up......may not show up in the pics but the cam belt covers are a different shade of aluminum than the block...just for giggles.
Pocher for some reason didn't bother to put the bolts in either end of the cam covers so I added those as well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#25 midengineaddict

midengineaddict

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Full Name:Luc St-Pierre speedfreak

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:40 AM

your work is fantastic,

I really love the model using a Ferrari engine

I started to make a V12 block with a 1/16 scale Testarossa flat 12 maybe you want to see what it can look like... I got a lot of work to do on the bloc itself but it gives a good idea of what it will look .
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by midengineaddict, 02 June 2012 - 04:49 AM.

#26 GrandpaMcGurk

GrandpaMcGurk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:25 AM

Great start Luc.....I'd like to see more of these off the beaten path engines used in builds, the Hemi and and other conventional big block engines have become a little long in the tooth stuffed into hot rods.
BTW.......I have exploded drawings of the "real" Ferrari F-40 V-8 (internal parts also) and the the opposed cylinder V-12 (F-50 I think) along with a few photos.
I'm not saying that I'll copy all this stuff and send it to ya, because it would put me in the poor farm buying ink for my printer. But if you get stuck somewhere E or PM me and I could send you a page or two to help you out if need be.

#27 GrandpaMcGurk

GrandpaMcGurk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

I'll modify this TDR blower intake to match up with the ports on the F-40....

Posted Image

and top it of with one of their blowers.....

Posted Image

Not sure if I'll go with fuel injection or 2 fours yet.......but here's a mock-up with the mounting plate for the four barrels and the front and rear blower case ends in place.

Posted Image

Think I'm going to assemble one of these TDR 4-speeds and either adapt it to the F-40 bell-housing or scratch build a custom scatter-shield / bell housing.

Posted Image

#28 comp1839

comp1839

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • Full Name:dave smith

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:16 PM

don, i love the idea of a roots style blower on the ferrari motor. that will have a few ferrari purist's biting their lip!! way cool.

Edited by comp1839, 02 June 2012 - 03:17 PM.

#29 donkeypuncher76

donkeypuncher76

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Full Name:James Hurst

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:11 AM

Boy does that ever jog the ol' gray matter....been there many times in another life. Fruit stand, tourist trinkets, cheesy motel & restaurant.........took some serious downshifting to get thru Ha, Ha " downtown without getting a green stamp.

This what i parke at the chrome shop between ihop pancakes and gambling a walk w/ mr. jinx.. on my L.A-FLA turns. awesome work going there fellas.

#30 GrandpaMcGurk

GrandpaMcGurk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:02 AM

don, i love the idea of a roots style blower on the ferrari motor. that will have a few ferrari purist's biting their lip!! way cool.

Hee, no doubt Dave.......they'll just have to get over it.
I going to have to really apply a size-able dose of the "fudge factor" with the pulley and belt set-up. The blower will have to be under-driven and I have to drive air cond.- power steering pumps and an alternator....belt tensioner too. What a bag of snakes. All that on a high revving engine that's under 3 litres.

#31 GrandpaMcGurk

GrandpaMcGurk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:48 PM

Here's one of the Pocher cam belt covers....

Posted Image

According to the kit directions you put the cam bearing seals on the end of the cam covers and stick it in the belt cover (the back of the case remains open, probably because it's not very obvious when assembled and installed on the block).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fortunately the trans kit had P.E. rear covers included...nice!

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's going to take me a while to drill all the holes for the teeny bolts (there's a bunch of them on this F-40) and install them with my teeny wrench..hee, hee.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I rarely read kit directions, I'm more a show me type guy so I'm I working from photos and exploded drawings of a real engine.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#32 GrandpaMcGurk

GrandpaMcGurk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:29 AM

Guys....I think I figured out why a Ferrari costs so much........
They use a hundred grand worth of bolts just to hold the engine together.......dang, I've been drilling holes and putting in bolts for hours and I'm still not done.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#33 Old Sprinter

Old Sprinter

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Meaders

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:10 AM

That thing looks powerful just sitting there. Nice work, boss. I can't wait to see how you do the exhaust system

#34 GrandpaMcGurk

GrandpaMcGurk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:28 AM

Exhaust is a ways off yet Ken, should be fun though.
I was sitting here ciphering on how I was going to adapt this TDR 4-speed hand shaker to the F-40 bellhousing.......

Posted Image

and decided to figure out how to spark it instead.
As you can see in the pic the stock Ferrari has coil pacs and no distributor....dunno if they are triggered by the crank, 'puter or both and don't care.

Posted Image

I'll be doing a little shade tree imagineering and use a distributor.....I'm sure by now the Ferrari purists are having fits.
On an OHV engine this would be no biggie...the cam shaft would drive the distributor and it's tucked down in the valley between the heads with a gear either on the front or back to spin the distributor.
But this is an overhead quad cam engine........oh my!!!
Cant put it in the front 'cause of the belt covers and all that paraphernalia, not to mention the roots style blower would be in the way.
So I'm going to have to mount it in rear and pick up the "drive" from one of the cams.
I started buy cobbling up some parts.
I made a base for the distributor.

Posted Image

The center of the distributor is offset to allow room for the drive gear and the bolt allows it to be rotated slighty to either advance or retard the timing.

Posted Image

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk, 08 June 2012 - 10:30 AM.

#35 GrandpaMcGurk

GrandpaMcGurk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:43 AM

Here's the distributor base mocked up on the engine.

Posted Image

Cut down a spare oil filter, drilled some holes in a piece of plastic, cut some short lenghts of tubing and presto...got a distributor cap.

Posted Image

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk, 08 June 2012 - 05:09 PM.

#36 midengineaddict

midengineaddict

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Full Name:Luc St-Pierre speedfreak

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:49 AM

I cant wait to see the blower intake... very good job

#37 GrandpaMcGurk

GrandpaMcGurk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

It's getting there.......the air conditioning compressor, motor mounts, starter/solenoid, distributor etc. are on and started mocking up a power steering pump. Only a gazillion more bolts to go and I can get started on the oiling system, intake and exhaust, whoopee. Here's some pics for your amusement...... Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk, 10 June 2012 - 02:12 AM.

#38 GrandpaMcGurk

GrandpaMcGurk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

Air cond. compressor detailed and bolted up....

Posted Image

Started detailing & drilling bolt holes for the power steering pump.....

Posted Image

Cut the mounting ears & flange off a TDR hand shaker, notched the case to clear the F 40 bellhousing bolts, squirted some paint...still needs bolts and detailing.....

Posted Image

Eyeball lined up the imaginary input shaft with the crank.......here it is mocked up on the engine, works for me.

Posted Image

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk, 10 June 2012 - 09:30 AM.

#39 GrandpaMcGurk

GrandpaMcGurk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:41 AM

This is a photo of an assembled TDR tube frame that I'm using on another project.......it's way cool in that it can be ordered in sections, you can adjust the length to suit your particular build.
It comes with printed in plugs that slip inside readily available plastic tubing cut to the desired length by the builder.
Best part is that all the suspension mounts are already there and square.

Posted Image

Anyway, I'll only be using the front clip...you can see how it accepts tubing in the pics.
This particular example is printed in their most inexpensive medium but I'll be doing some cutting and fabricating so it'll need sanding anyway.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk, 10 June 2012 - 09:57 AM.

#40 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,510 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:10 AM

Your driving me crazy with all those bolts, Don. The build is looking marvelous.