Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 IMC Dodge LVT-1000 Kit

Casey

The Dodge L1000 cab was designed by Dodge with input from Budd, and (acording to engineers from Dodge Truck) did not share with the Ford. The C- cab was originally produced at the Dodge truck plant but was later sourced to Budd when the light duty trucks (d series) introduced a new cab. Dodge produced components for their cabs that were produced at Budd. Dodge had a strangely unique relationship with Budd, at the time they produced Large trucks.

The Big Horn has always been one of my favorite trucks, there was a Black Dump truck that was owned by an independent operator here until just a few years ago.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Casey and the rest....

Interesting subject, and as a Dodge guy in my youth, a subject very near and dear to my heart. Like Steve, I built that L700 (in my case, the summer it was introduced) and I was just blown away by the accuracy of that kit

. DSC_0501-vi.jpg

Looking at this subject from another view, by the time that IMC announced the stillborn LVT Cabover kit, the 1/1 scale Dodge product, never a big seller, was already well past its prime. The decision not to go ahead was IMC's, from what I recall. I don't think Testors was really involved, as this took place (again, from what I recall) before Testors took over the IMC product range. The info in my book would most likely have been based on the various Phil Jensen "Tidewater Trucker" columns in Car Model magazine from 1970-73.

I am also of the understanding that Phil, a well respected proponent of model car scratchbuilding, did just that (scratchbuilt) the 1/25th scale LVT sample seen in that Car Model photo in Steve's article. No tooling was ever started as far as I know.

Finally, this is the first I've ever heard that the Dodge LVT and the Ford W-Series might have shared the same cab. I could be completely wrong about this, but I'd want to see that statement in writing from a well-respected Class 8 truck historian before accepting it as gospel.

Interesting discussion guys! Thanks...TIM

Edited by tim boyd

I am also of the understanding that Phil, a well respected proponent of model car scratchbuilding, did just that (scratchbuilt) the 1/25th scale LVT sample seen in that Car Model photo in Steve's article. No tooling was ever started as far as I know.

I want to say Art Anderson mentioned he was at the Chicago(?) Toy and Hobby Show back when the LVT-1000 debuted, and that interest was poor then, so IMC never proceeded beyond the one example they displayed. It would be great if that lone example resurfaced one day, though.

I want to say Art Anderson mentioned he was at the Chicago(?) Toy and Hobby Show back when the LVT-1000 debuted, and that interest was poor then, so IMC never proceeded beyond the one example they displayed. It would be great if that lone example resurfaced one day, though.

That one "example" was merely an artist's "box art" painting of the LVT-1000--it showed up at the HIAA trade show in Chicago's Sherman House Hotel in 1971, 72, and '73--apparently it never generated enough pre-orders from wholesales or LHS's to warrant IMC's tooling it up for production. Of course, it probably didn't help that Dodge wasn't exactly the most popular of large OTR tractors.

Art

Odd that their was no intrest (pre-orders) for this class 8 kit, back then, when the AMT 1/25th truck craze was getting more popular then ever in the 70's:'69,'70'71'72'...MPC followed in '71...ERTL in '73 the segement was a growing one for sure, even Monogram &...Testors got in late in the 70's early 80's.

Odd that their was no intrest (pre-orders) for this class 8 kit, back then, when the AMT 1/25th truck craze was getting more popular then ever in the 70's:'69,'70'71'72'...MPC followed in '71...ERTL in '73 the segement was a growing one for sure, even Monogram &...Testors got in late in the 70's early 80's.

but for one thing: Where AMT, MPC and Ertl had all the big names in OTR trucks sewed up, Dodge was never a big player in the heaviest class of OTR semi-tractors.

While of course, Monogram got into big rigs during a bit of a "revival" in the very early 1980's, Testors involvement was almost all due to that company's taking over the importation and US distribution of Italeri kits--rather than making their own from all new tooling.

Art

I wonder if the tool still exists? I'm not sure how popular it would be if they produced it. Maybe they should do a run of it and see how it goes. That peterbilt California hauler will sell like hotcakes and a lot of other kits like the amt ertl macks imternationals and kenworths sell well.

Ben

I wonder if the tool still exists? I'm not sure how popular it would be if they produced it. Maybe they should do a run of it and see how it goes. That peterbilt California hauler will sell like hotcakes and a lot of other kits like the amt ertl macks imternationals and kenworths sell well.

Ben

Ben

Ben,

IMC never actually tooled up the kit for the Dodge LVT-1000. All that was ever shown was a painting of one, which likely might have become the box art painting, had the kit ever been designed, engineered and cut in steel.

Art

Just so we are totally clear on this, the built-up 1/25th scale scratchbuilt hobby show sample shown in the May, 1971 issue of Car Model magazine (and pictured on Steve Magnante's website at this link http://www.moparmax.com/columns/magnante/vi_2-2.html ) was most likely built scratchbuilt by Phil Jensen, as noted in my earlier post in this thread. It was not made from a pre-production tooling test shot. TB