#21 mistermodel

mistermodel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Full Name:KEVIN YORKE

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:54 AM

Dodge and Ford used the same cab with their own details just like Ford c series shared a cab with the Mack n series. Cab sharing between competing brands was common.

Well,never heard of that,I'd like to see some info.
Lots of cab sharing was done.Here is what i know on this history subject.Im sure there is more
Mack used the basic shell of the ford BUDD cab,FWD used it for a while too.FWD used the dodge C cab,it was built by BUDD also
The international emeryville cabovers. conventionals,and low c.o.e. used a REO designed cab.
Whites and diamond reo,and later westernstar used autocar cabs
Henderickson used international cabs and Ive seen one picture of a c.o.e. with a peterbilt cab.
Hayes and Brockway used mack cabs,when mack owned them.When hayes was briefly owned by paccar the c.o.e. used a pete cab .
Pacific used international cabs.
Scot and a cement truck named RRC used a ford louisville cab
There is a late model KW c.o.e that used a euro cab,forget the models though.

Edited by mistermodel, 01 June 2012 - 01:55 AM.

#22 cargostar

cargostar

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:19 AM

Canadian fire equipment builder Thibault also used the Ford C-cab/Budd stampings.

#23 Jim B

Jim B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,738 posts
  • Full Name:James Bongiovanni

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:02 AM

The Kenworth K500 uses thr DAF XF cab.

#24 lapazleo

lapazleo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Full Name:Leo Bishop

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:08 AM

I can't remember where I read it but I read the Budd company built the Ford w and the Dodge L as they did so many cabs. Either way they certainly could be related. No doubt IMC missed the boat. On a side note check the Wheels of Time magizine archives for an article called "The cabmakers of Orrville" it's a very interesting read. Great conversation I thought everybody fell off the face the earth the last week or so.

#25 swampyankeejames

swampyankeejames

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • Full Name:james seidl

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

Man, all that talk about dodges and nobody mentioned the BIGHORN. The bighorn is the origanl dodge ram.

#26 Yahshu

Yahshu

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Full Name:Phil de la Cour

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

Here's a BigHorn I got on the workbench..........sorta
Posted Image
2 resin cabs
Posted Image

#27 lapazleo

lapazleo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Full Name:Leo Bishop

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

Man, all that talk about dodges and nobody mentioned the BIGHORN. The bighorn is the origanl dodge ram.

Fantastic truck

#28 80mirada

80mirada

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin Davis

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

The Dodge L1000 cab was designed by Dodge with input from Budd, and (acording to engineers from Dodge Truck) did not share with the Ford. The C- cab was originally produced at the Dodge truck plant but was later sourced to Budd when the light duty trucks (d series) introduced a new cab. Dodge produced components for their cabs that were produced at Budd. Dodge had a strangely unique relationship with Budd, at the time they produced Large trucks.

The Big Horn has always been one of my favorite trucks, there was a Black Dump truck that was owned by an independent operator here until just a few years ago.

#29 pete3522

pete3522

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Full Name:Craig Robert

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

cool build

#30 Mopar - D

Mopar - D

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  • Full Name:Dan Slade

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

Here's my WIP LT - 1000
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#31 Yahshu

Yahshu

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Full Name:Phil de la Cour

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:18 AM

That will look good when it's finished

#32 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:35 AM

Is the Bighorn kit version readily avail today ?

friend of mine has 2 or 3 of them

#33 chuckyr

chuckyr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • Full Name:C. Mitchell

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:15 AM

Why didn't these kits get offered?

5d3f9951-d95c-456e-94b3-05fe10bbef48.jpg

1958DodgeTruck.jpg

#34 Jim B

Jim B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,738 posts
  • Full Name:James Bongiovanni

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:30 AM

Those would have been nice.

#35 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,016 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:33 AM

Why didn't these kits get offered?

The second one is a bad Photoshop job based on a brochure image. As for the LVT-1000, start on page one.  ;)

#36 blazefox

blazefox

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Gilmore

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:20 PM

Great 1970s aerodynamics!

As aerodynamic as a brick lol

#37 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:53 PM

Casey and the rest....

Interesting subject, and as a Dodge guy in my youth, a subject very near and dear to my heart.   Like Steve, I built that L700 (in my case, the summer it was introduced) and I was just blown away by the accuracy of that kit

.   DSC_0501-vi.jpg

Looking at this subject from another view, by the time that IMC announced the stillborn LVT Cabover kit, the 1/1 scale Dodge product, never a big seller, was already well past its prime.  The decision not to go ahead was IMC's, from what I recall.  I don't think Testors was really involved, as this took place (again, from what I recall) before Testors took over the IMC product range.  The info in my book would most likely have been based on the various Phil Jensen "Tidewater Trucker" columns in Car Model magazine from 1970-73. 

I am also of the understanding that Phil, a well respected proponent of model car scratchbuilding, did just that (scratchbuilt) the 1/25th scale LVT sample seen in that Car Model photo in Steve's article. No tooling was ever started as far as I know.   

Finally, this is the first I've ever heard that the Dodge LVT and the Ford W-Series might have shared the same cab.  I could be completely wrong about this, but I'd want to see that statement in writing from a well-respected Class 8 truck historian before accepting it as gospel.  

Interesting discussion guys!    Thanks...TIM

Edited by tim boyd, 08 April 2014 - 01:57 PM.

#38 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:59 PM

I had a Auto World catalog showing the BIG DODGE.....but it never showed up...... :(

#39 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,016 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:12 PM

I am also of the understanding that Phil, a well respected proponent of model car scratchbuilding, did just that (scratchbuilt) the 1/25th scale LVT sample seen in that Car Model photo in Steve's article. No tooling was ever started as far as I know. 

I want to say Art Anderson mentioned he was at the Chicago(?) Toy and Hobby Show back when the LVT-1000 debuted, and that interest was poor then, so IMC never proceeded beyond the one example they displayed. It would be great if that lone example resurfaced one day, though.

#40 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

I want to say Art Anderson mentioned he was at the Chicago(?) Toy and Hobby Show back when the LVT-1000 debuted, and that interest was poor then, so IMC never proceeded beyond the one example they displayed. It would be great if that lone example resurfaced one day, though.

That one "example" was merely an artist's "box art" painting of the LVT-1000--it showed up at the HIAA trade show in Chicago's Sherman House Hotel in 1971, 72, and '73--apparently it never generated enough pre-orders from wholesales or LHS's to warrant IMC's tooling it up for production.  Of course, it probably didn't help that Dodge wasn't exactly the most popular of large OTR tractors.

Art