42 replies to this topic

#21 62rebel

62rebel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

even the ancient Lindberg kits have clear and accurate photos of the built kit, right on the box top. if the box has photos of a built model, then at least ONE person has been able to build it correctly and be otherwise satisfied with it. heck; even some Palmer kits can be built to look somewhat decent.....

impulse buying is what MADE model cars such a big success in the '70's.... every store from Sears down to Quik-E mart had models in it, even our local Kings grocery store had them, on an end cap near the checkout lines, right there for kids to pester their moms for a couple of bucks for..... shelling out 20-30 bucks for something on IMPULSE today is out of the question.

i've been to the local HobbyTown several times recently and found NOTHING worth shelling out 30 bucks for..... NOTHING, not even the new Moebius Chrysler, which i already have a kit of, but would buy another.

#22 roadrnnr69

roadrnnr69

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Full Name:Joe Downing

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:58 PM

I had to laugh because Draggon posted the same exact model I was going to post. Didn't know the front from the back of the body lol.

#23 mademan

mademan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Mathers

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:59 PM

even the ancient Lindberg kits have clear and accurate photos of the built kit, right on the box top. if the box has photos of a built model, then at least ONE person has been able to build it correctly and be otherwise satisfied with it. heck; even some Palmer kits can be built to look somewhat decent.....

impulse buying is what MADE model cars such a big success in the '70's.... every store from Sears down to Quik-E mart had models in it, even our local Kings grocery store had them, on an end cap near the checkout lines, right there for kids to pester their moms for a couple of bucks for..... shelling out 20-30 bucks for something on IMPULSE today is out of the question.

i've been to the local HobbyTown several times recently and found NOTHING worth shelling out 30 bucks for..... NOTHING, not even the new Moebius Chrysler, which i already have a kit of, but would buy another.

heck mostly everything I have is on impulse, lol .... I went out for a drive one day, and came home with my 1:1 Camaro. I cant go near a hobby shop without grabbing at least 1 kit, that I want to build, or can use for parts.

#24 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,399 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

I dont do this with kits anymore for the most part, but I will for everything model related at times, and I did it this past weekend, I bought cans of Model Master spray paint that I have no need for, well ok one of them I do, but I still have plenty of one of the colors I bought already .

#25 wrecker388

wrecker388

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • Full Name:Riley Schultz

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:35 PM

lindberg Crown Victoria cop car.bought two thinking it would be decent.worst model mistake i ever made

#26 Nick Winter

Nick Winter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,926 posts
  • Full Name:Nicholas J. Winter

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

Whats wrong with the CV from Lindberg I built one and have 3 more to build, only thing I noticed as a flaw is the front wheels are not centered in the wheel wells.

Nick

#27 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,399 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:48 AM

I bought a case of them when they came out, for a simple kit, its really nice.

#28 wrecker388

wrecker388

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:04 AM

Whats wrong with the CV from Lindberg I built one and have 3 more to build, only thing I noticed as a flaw is the front wheels are not centered in the wheel wells.

Nick

WAY too easy considering i had just built two NASCAR's right before them,other than that it`s fine

#29 Nick Winter

Nick Winter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:08 AM

It's a Snap Kit, if it's fine then why say that it was the worst model mistake you made.

Nick

#30 Deathgoblin

Deathgoblin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Wilson

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

Now the 1/20 scale kits from Lindberg are nice. I had the Dodge Stealth and the S-10 kits and they were really detailed.

#31 JamesW

JamesW

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • Full Name:James WastaWTF

Curb Appeal M.C.C. President

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:40 AM

heck mostly everything I have is on impulse, lol .... I went out for a drive one day, and came home with my 1:1 Camaro. I cant go near a hobby shop without grabbing at least 1 kit, that I want to build, or can use for parts.

So the 2 cases of Caddies and all the Camaro's were impulse buys? :lol:

#32 wrecker388

wrecker388

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:01 AM

It's a Snap Kit, if it's fine then why say that it was the worst model mistake you made.

Nick

The box said glue, i checked like three times before buying

#33 Nick Winter

Nick Winter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

Hmmm, might have to check mine.

Nick

#34 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,399 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

The box said glue, i checked like three times before buying

Those kits are not a true snap kit, the kits are a skill level 2, it state's on the box minimal gluing and painting required, nowhere on the box does it say snap kit.

Edited by martinfan5, 06 June 2012 - 11:13 AM.

#35 wrecker388

wrecker388

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:12 AM

They were the Alabama state patrol and Illinois state patrol pre paints,i bought two planning to make a taxi from one, but ran into some issues with paint,so it became a getaway car

#36 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,854 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:19 AM

I got caught up in some enthusiastic posts here and bought the Monogram Lincoln Futura and Minicraft Rolls Silver Cloud. What a waste.

#37 Fat Brian

Fat Brian

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Croft

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

I believe that the Lindberg Crown Vic would be most accurately described as a curbside kit. It isn't really a snap tite but isn't a full detail kit either.

#38 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,399 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

I believe that the Lindberg Crown Vic would be most accurately described as a curbside kit. It isn't really a snap tite but isn't a full detail kit either.

So how about curbtite, or snapside :lol:

#39 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:51 PM

The Ohio State Trooper Original issue of Lindberg's 97 CV Did call it a Snap.
"Super Snap Ultra" to be exact.
I have 4 of them in boxes, and a built one for resto/parts.
Biggest item on the recent issues I don't like, The holes for the MX lightbar do not
match the Original Vision/Vector V lightbar pin location. The MX lightbar is not as
good in my opinion as the Vision/Vector/V in the Ohio kit.
I have the Alabama, Illinois, CHP, versions, but my Generic decided to climb under
my foot and went "Crunch"

#40 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,399 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:24 PM

The Ohio State Trooper Original issue of Lindberg's 97 CV Did call it a Snap.
"Super Snap Ultra" to be exact.
I have 4 of them in boxes, and a built one for resto/parts.
Biggest item on the recent issues I don't like, The holes for the MX lightbar do not
match the Original Vision/Vector V lightbar pin location. The MX lightbar is not as
good in my opinion as the Vision/Vector/V in the Ohio kit.
I have the Alabama, Illinois, CHP, versions, but my Generic decided to climb under
my foot and went "Crunch"

I forgot all about that, its been so long since I built all of mine, I remember now it being called a super snap ultra, my mistake for being forgetful :lol:

I like the MX bar, I liked it better then one that came in the Illinois State Police Dodge Caraven kit, I liked the center console in both that one and the LA fire one/plain version

Edsel Dan, sent you a PM