#22 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Ely

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

Come on Jim , you know you want to convert a corvair flat 6 into an air cooled straight 6 for this build ...

You know, that's been done... ;)
http://www.modelcars...=19870&hl=fugly

When I read Ian's quote, I thought there's no possible way that could be done. Then I realized that, with the Corvair's seperate 2-piece crankcase, it COULD be done, but it would be a lot of work and, really, for what reason? Then I read Chuck's comment... WITH A LINK TO ONE THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN BUILT! - and had to go check it out. Man, that's one impressive engine with the triple Webers! You know, I think Ian's right... Maybe I DO want to try one of those! I'd still have to figure out what to put it in, since I'm not into rat rods. Hmmm... Maybe if I could scrounge up one of those resin Motorama Corvair transkits that was available a while back, that would be an appropriate home for it...

#23 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,248 posts
  • Full Name:Charles Donald Eric Richard Jules Kasim Most

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:48 PM

I'd stick it in either a Galaxie Chevy Aerocoupe, or maybe a Chevy II/Nova. Just make sure to poke open some breathing holes for it. :D

#24 sports850

sports850

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Full Name:Ian White

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:05 PM

When I read Ian's quote, I thought there's no possible way that could be done. Then I realized that, with the Corvair's seperate 2-piece crankcase, it COULD be done, but it would be a lot of work and, really, for what reason? Then I read Chuck's comment... WITH A LINK TO ONE THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN BUILT! - and had to go check it out. Man, that's one impressive engine with the triple Webers! You know, I think Ian's right... Maybe I DO want to try one of those! I'd still have to figure out what to put it in, since I'm not into rat rods. Hmmm... Maybe if I could scrounge up one of those resin Motorama Corvair transkits that was available a while back, that would be an appropriate home for it...

:D :D :D Come on , I am currently looking at melding two mini engines to make a V8 block that fits on a mini gearbox .... Of course you would get the itch to rework a Corvair engine for this :D

#25 Vilperi

Vilperi

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Full Name:Stefan Morén

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:18 PM

This could easily motivate ME to start a sierra tan 1965 malibu 300 project.
As a replica of a friend car that has been under "restoration" for 30 years.

#26 Olskoolrodder

Olskoolrodder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Full Name:Stephen Sammons

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

Sooooo......is this thing a go? I need som emotivation to get to building :D

#27 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,248 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:17 AM

Looks like we've got a couple of 'count me in's', several 'might be able to's' at this point. Now who's gonna be the first to jump in? Probably not me, but we'll see. B)

#28 Olskoolrodder

Olskoolrodder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:54 AM

I'm itching to...but we really are at the breaking point (one way or other) on a home loan for this lease-purchase or eviction notice (as the contract to buy vs seller taking it back to sell elsewhere is at it's end)....soon as I know which way it goes....

Edited by Olskoolrodder, 20 June 2012 - 06:55 AM.

#29 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,248 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:10 PM

Hoping it works out for you! B)
Meantime, I suppose I could stoke the creative fires a little bit. I've got two inline six projects on the bench right now, both Hudson 308 Twin H mills.
Posted Image
This one is going to be mildy hopped up, and it'll end up in a lead-sled '52 Hornet convertible. I nabbed the Stromberg carbs and curved stacks from the Revell Tweedy Pie kit. Six of them are included, so I've still got four of them left. ^_^ This one will have a yet-to-be-scratchbuilt finned head, patterened after the old Clifford piece.

Posted Image
This one's more or less done- it has some old Strombergs from a Revell parts pack Cadillac engine, and already has a scratchbuild finned head. Not sure what kind of body I'll end up slinging over this chassis at this time- probably a '34 Ford pickup.

And...
Saw this thing today, and it would fit in the theme of the CBP.
Posted Image
Old Dodge cab, Cat I-6 diesel, and an old Cat tractor grille shell. I might give a go at a 1:25 scale project based on this thing. I'm certainly not going to try it with my 1:1 '40 Dodge cab. :lol:

#30 hacked

hacked

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Full Name:jeff barnett

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:32 AM

good idea, i'd be keen

#31 Olskoolrodder

Olskoolrodder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

Sweet (on all three pics/subjects),my friend. That tractor-rod would be killer in scale,methinks :D

#32 zenrat

zenrat

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • Full Name:Fred Maillardet

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:24 PM

I'd be in it. Give me a reason to build that Tamiya Landcruiser...

#33 jcbigpaw

jcbigpaw

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Full Name:joe colvin

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:42 PM

Well I didn't start this thing but I'm saying lets do it. I'm in with an AMT 50 Chevy truck with straight six. Gonna do it "old Skool". Lowered but not too low, dual or triple carbs, split exhaust and some engine dress up goodies. Maybe some white walls and patinad paint. Maybe a shop truck look. Firing it up this weekend. Pics soon

Edited by jcbigpaw, 21 June 2012 - 05:42 PM.

#34 hacked

hacked

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:55 AM

hi, i've been to the stash, i'll go a 37 chev and a 53 vette. so who get's to start it?

#35 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,248 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:12 AM

Whoever starts first. That's who starts first. :P

#36 Wagoneer81

Wagoneer81

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Eddy.

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

I have one I just started that would be worthy of this CBP... 1965 Chevy stepside, EFI inline-6 I'm using the shortbed/fleetside cab and frame with a '57 stepside bed and the EFI-6 from one of the Street machine kits... I've JUST painted the body and started on the driveline so, can I still play? :) B) I'm going to use it as a tow vehicle for the inline-6 powered dragster I built earlier in the year...

Here's a couple of teasers of the dragster... 471 supercharger on a Pontiac SOHC 6... It was built for a "What were you thinking" themed model car club theme.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Wagoneer81, 24 June 2012 - 10:14 AM.

#37 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,438 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:10 AM

GOGOGOGOGOGGO! Looking forward to seeing some I-6 goodness.

#38 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,248 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:13 AM

I have one I just started that would be worthy of this CBP... 1965 Chevy stepside, EFI inline-6 I'm using the shortbed/fleetside cab and frame with a '57 stepside bed and the EFI-6 from one of the Street machine kits... I've JUST painted the body and started on the driveline so, can I still play? :) B) I'm going to use it as a tow vehicle for the inline-6 powered dragster I built earlier in the year...

Yes! Guess I never said the project specifically had to be for this CBP, so I think I can allow it. B)

#39 Wagoneer81

Wagoneer81

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Eddy.

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:18 AM

Excellent!!! I'll post a few pics of the truck as soon as I have something to show...

#40 hacked

hacked

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:31 AM

i'm starting with a monogram 53 vette, plan is to tub it and use a supercarger or turbo. will put up pics when one of the kids gets up and shows me how to drive the new camera. cheers Jeff