#41 hacked

hacked

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Full Name:jeff barnett

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:00 AM

started narrowing the rear, removed crossmembers and gave the stock gearbox the flick

Attached Files

#42 Ryan S.

Ryan S.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • Full Name:Ryan Silva

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:41 PM

If this stays open ended, I might jump in. I picked up a 39 Chevy at a flea market this weekend and I'm thinking of putting the I-6 Stovebolt under the hood. Still not positive, but I figured it would be different.

#43 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,016 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

Off we go...

I've got the still-separate engine and transmission sections assembled, which will be used to make new engine mounts on the cleaned up and modified frame rails and crossmember/K-frame. The slots on the topside of the frame rails looked horrible (not to mention completely inaccurate), so the upper control arms were removed, and the slots filled with various pieces of styrene. The frame rail sections will be evened out as they have some funky tapers due to the way they were molded.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The goal is a simple, base Dart, possibly with some GT options/features, in a subtle (read: non-HIP) color, similar to this one:

Posted Image

#44 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,031 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:22 PM

I think I'm slowly homing in on a project for this... Revell's '48 Ford coupe with one of Ken Kitchen's Flathead sixes.
Posted Image
We'll see how it pans out!

#45 Trucker_tim

Trucker_tim

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Full Name:Tim Kracht

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:30 AM

I will jump in with a dodge demon 1972 with a straight six all I need to do is get the resin body. I already have the duster donor kit. I had one of these cars as a kid it's on my list of want to do's. Don't know how quick I will get it done but happy to join in.

(null)

#46 gray07

gray07

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts
  • Full Name:Shelly and Darrin Holts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

So this build has started now

#47 Olskoolrodder

Olskoolrodder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Full Name:Stephen Sammons

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

Mine got postponed-moving this month. Count me in on a Hudson sometime in the fairly-near future though :)

#48 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,418 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

Oh you Michigan Madman, this one's got me salivatin' real bad!

#49 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,031 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

This will be the recipient of the Flathead six... you can tell it's humid outside when you can see it in the pictures!Posted Image

Posted Image

#50 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,031 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

Going with a quasi-stock appearance at both ends- the stock '48 grille and headlamp bezels are still included (I still may or may not add the stock parking lamps), and while no stock taillamps are provided (and I had no spares), the kit does provide some vertical units which somewhat resemble the stock ones turned 90 degrees. Sort of. The stock bumpers would not quite fit the body, so I used the smooth ones instead.
I'll be using neither of the kit hoods. Revell pitches this kit as a custom, but I'm going for more of a hot rod vibe.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#51 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:29 PM

I attached the firewall and radiator support to the body shell, leaving the tiny bit of glue squeeze out between the firewall and inner fenders to be passed off as scale seam sealer. :D I sanded off the high points on the inner fenders, too, as they are way too sharp and crisp looking out of the box, looking nothing like mass-produced, stamped pieces:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I still have to remove that block-like protrusion, which is supposed to be the battery tray. :rolleyes: Granted, most of it is hidden when the battery is installed, but it's one of the weak points in the engine compartment, so out it will come:

Posted Image

I cleaned up the front frame rails, removing the bulges around the K-member mounting holes and filling in the holes, adding strips of very thin styrene to cap the top of the rails and provide a cleaner edge when I apply putty to fill in some sink marks and casting other small flaws. They needn't be perfectly flat and smooth, but they need improvement:

Posted Image

I also did some minor work on the K-member, removing the locating pins and making it look more like a Slant Six K-member, which required removing some of the extra big block bracing. I will make up some engine mounts and attach them to the K-member using the assembled engine as a locating guide.

#52 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

Posted Image

A heads up that sunglasses would be necessary would be appreciated, Chuck. :P The interior looks very nice..and bright. :D

#53 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,031 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

Care to take a guess which specific green that is, Casey? ;)

#54 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:49 AM

Looks too close to neon for me to guess Testors Limelight or Big Bad Green (if they make that), so I will guess Krylon Safety Green?

I DO know it got my attention. ;)

#55 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,031 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:11 AM

Good old Model Master Sublime Green, actually. And for the white I just masked off the white plastic. B)

#56 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,418 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:55 AM

Looking good, Chuck.

#57 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:47 AM

I guess it just looks brighter over white plastic than I thought. B)

I applied some filler on the front framerails, sanded and primed them, and they're getting closer to good:

Posted Image

Looks like I need to pick up a '68 Dart kit for the interior bases...should've thought of that earlier. :blink: :lol:

#58 Johan020

Johan020

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Full Name:Johan

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:03 AM

Mmmm i checkt the pile of kits but all the 20 + kit a own the are al V8 and a 4 boxer from the manx meyer

Its a great reason to get to the hobbyshop and check ebay for some good old six cylinder cars

#59 Olskoolrodder

Olskoolrodder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Full Name:Stephen Sammons

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:57 AM

This will be the recipient of the Flathead six... you can tell it's humid outside when you can see it in the pictures!Posted Image

OH-HO-HO that's gunna be awesome!!!!!! :D

#60 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

Today I cut apart the two '68 Dart interior bases so I could use everything from the rear seat back on the stock piece, while using the opposite (front) half of the Hemi Dart interior piece. The stock interior piece has the console already in place, which is the same problem I had with the '69 GTS piece, while the Hemi piece has no console, and only a small, very subtle flat spot for the floor shifter- much easier the work with than removing the entire console and filling the opening, retexturing the floor in that area, and so on:

Posted Image

I've decided to use the '68's seats and door panels, which are slightly less fancy than the '69 GTS pieces. I'm not going to be too concerned with what was correct for a '69 Dart (GT, maybe) on this build, so the '68 interior will work fine and require much less work on my part, increasing the odds of this build reaching completion by a good percentage. :D

I also decided to use the Hemi Dart hood, and fill in the scoop opening, an drill out and plug the hood pin depressions:

Posted Image

I probably will create some type of underhood structure since as the underside is smooth now and lacks any detail. I'd like to have the hinges hold the hood open when it's completed, so the underside of the hood will be highly visible and should at least look passable.

Hopefully I can get the floor sections welded together tonight, then get the piece glued to the chassis and start patching and sanding on the trans tunnel.