The Straight Six community build
Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:00 AM
Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:41 PM
Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:57 AM
I've got the still-separate engine and transmission sections assembled, which will be used to make new engine mounts on the cleaned up and modified frame rails and crossmember/K-frame. The slots on the topside of the frame rails looked horrible (not to mention completely inaccurate), so the upper control arms were removed, and the slots filled with various pieces of styrene. The frame rail sections will be evened out as they have some funky tapers due to the way they were molded.
The goal is a simple, base Dart, possibly with some GT options/features, in a subtle (read: non-HIP) color, similar to this one:
Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:22 PM
We'll see how it pans out!
Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:30 AM
Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:59 PM
Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:07 PM
Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:04 PM
Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:14 PM
I'll be using neither of the kit hoods. Revell pitches this kit as a custom, but I'm going for more of a hot rod vibe.
Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:29 PM
I still have to remove that block-like protrusion, which is supposed to be the battery tray. Granted, most of it is hidden when the battery is installed, but it's one of the weak points in the engine compartment, so out it will come:
I cleaned up the front frame rails, removing the bulges around the K-member mounting holes and filling in the holes, adding strips of very thin styrene to cap the top of the rails and provide a cleaner edge when I apply putty to fill in some sink marks and casting other small flaws. They needn't be perfectly flat and smooth, but they need improvement:
I also did some minor work on the K-member, removing the locating pins and making it look more like a Slant Six K-member, which required removing some of the extra big block bracing. I will make up some engine mounts and attach them to the K-member using the assembled engine as a locating guide.
Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:32 PM
A heads up that sunglasses would be necessary would be appreciated, Chuck. The interior looks very nice..and bright.
Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:29 PM
Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:49 AM
I DO know it got my attention.
Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:11 AM
Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:47 AM
I applied some filler on the front framerails, sanded and primed them, and they're getting closer to good:
Looks like I need to pick up a '68 Dart kit for the interior bases...should've thought of that earlier.
Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:03 AM
Its a great reason to get to the hobbyshop and check ebay for some good old six cylinder cars
Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:57 AM
This will be the recipient of the Flathead six... you can tell it's humid outside when you can see it in the pictures!
OH-HO-HO that's gunna be awesome!!!!!!
Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:52 PM
I've decided to use the '68's seats and door panels, which are slightly less fancy than the '69 GTS pieces. I'm not going to be too concerned with what was correct for a '69 Dart (GT, maybe) on this build, so the '68 interior will work fine and require much less work on my part, increasing the odds of this build reaching completion by a good percentage.
I also decided to use the Hemi Dart hood, and fill in the scoop opening, an drill out and plug the hood pin depressions:
I probably will create some type of underhood structure since as the underside is smooth now and lacks any detail. I'd like to have the hinges hold the hood open when it's completed, so the underside of the hood will be highly visible and should at least look passable.
Hopefully I can get the floor sections welded together tonight, then get the piece glued to the chassis and start patching and sanding on the trans tunnel.