The Straight Six community build
Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:50 PM
OK, update time for mine, still no engine work though, I'm waiting on a resin copy of the Paxton Supercharger from the AMT Avanti kit from a member here. Next up are the tail lights. For some reason, the Corvette ZR-1 style tail lights were nowhere near big enough for the tail light panel in this kit. No problem, I just added a strip of .010 styrene around the edges, and they're a much better fit. I also didn't like the fact that the attachment pins made them look bad, so I drilled them out to accept more...straight pins! They'll get a dab of Clear Blue to make 'em look like the old "Blue-Dots" once it's all done!
Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:54 PM
Begone tiny stump!
Big tube with little tube inside, big tube with some sprue shoved into it, ready to be cut into a cap!
The gas cap has been made, polished, and is ready to go!
Gas cap in place on the filler neck...
And the filler neck in place on the cab!
Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:12 PM
And three coats of VHT Engine paint, color name is Red Fire!
Now onto a modification for the interior. This is me bringing the dash into the current century! I sanded off the kit speedometer, and dug out some PE gauge sets I had for my '32 Ford 5-Window that never got used due to time constraints. I traced the shape of the new gauge cluster on the dash, broke out the Dremel, and carefully removed enough to get the gauges flush. I had to add some filler since I screwed up a bit on the top edge, but it looks fine now, trust me!
Now if I could only find my PE radio faces, I could have some killer tunes in this baby!
Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:30 PM
Edited by Custom Mike, 19 August 2012 - 05:34 PM.
Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:40 PM
Thanks Mike !
Nice work Pat, how'd you get the paint so weathered looking?
A lot of dry brushing and pastel dust covered with dull-cote.
That 's some nice work you are doing on the Chevy!
Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:43 PM
Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:33 PM
The new back axle, I'm thinking about repainting all of the suspension and frame Black, what do ya think?
And the frame and suspension mocked-up. I'm just not feeling the Silver anymore...
A hole drilled in the frame for routing the brake line to the rear axle...
And a hole drilled in the battery box so I can get the positive side out and up to the starter.
Now onto the brake lines for the back axle. I started out by shaping a piece of sprue for my line junction, I'm getting better at making these little boogers!
Two holes drilled on the axle side...
And the block mocked-up with the line from the master cylinder side. BTW, this kit does not have a master cylinder, either that, or it got lost when this kit was removed from it's box and put in the one-gallon Ziploc bag I bought it in. Heck, I don't even have the instructions, so who knows if what I'm doing is actually correct!
And the two lines mocked-up out to the rim area, so far, so good!
Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:59 PM
Now here's where I make Pete ( A good friend of mine over on Scale Avenue) happy, I show the seat back he sent me being put to good use...after some hacking on it!
First up tonight, a skull shifter knob! I picked this up from Scale Repro's Plus, along with a 6-cylinder distributor for this build. I hacked off the T shift knob, added a small piece of 24 gauge wire to the skill, and drilled a hole in the shifter. A dab of superglue, and it's ready to go!
Now onto the seat, I really worked hard for this part, believe me! I took some tan leather I got from Danny years ago, and started thinning it for use on the bench seat. This is where Pete came to my rescue, supplying me with a second seat back.
Elmer's Craft Bond, thinned leather, and the seat base, all ready for some work!
And the seat back Pete sent me, with it's piece of leather, waiting for it's turn!
Now the hacking on the seat back happens. To get the leather on the seat back, the arms had to be removed, which is why I needed a second seat back. I carefully removed the arms from the seat back I got with the kit so they could be re-used, then sanded the arms off of the seat back Pete sent me. I wrapped the newly bare seat back in leather, drilled two holes in each arm (And the sides of the seat back), added a pair of straight pins to each arm, and we have a leather covered seat back! I'll put some Detail Master Krome Foil on the arms later, this is just for mock-up purposes, and thanks again Pete!
Nothing simulates leather better than real leather!
Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:26 AM
Making a '30-'31 A body shell from a '32.....
....and working out fitment of the guts......
Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:51 PM
Good to see someone jump in with a
Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:04 PM
Great start Bill, that should be a very cool Hot Rod once you're done!
Edited by Custom Mike, 03 May 2013 - 04:55 PM.
Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:44 PM
Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:01 PM
Since I'm too freakin' tired to work on this tonight, I'll just post a pair of pics of the bed mocked -up. The straight pins were glued in place and the fenders were glued to the sides of the bed, the it was all slapped together for a few pics, enjoy!
Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:33 AM
Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:22 AM
And now just some random stuff I worked on yesterday. The filler piece at the back side of the bed has been modified to fit the new wood bed, a bit of paint later today will finish it off. Then I test fit the filler at the base of the cab, it's a good enough fit that I'll just glue it down, if I ever build another one of these, it'll be molded in. I'm not willing to chance re-painting the cab again, so I'll live with a filler panel that doesn't exist on the 1:1 truck. And finally, a pair of steering wheels, I'm leaning toward the one on the right, we'll see once I get going on the rest of the interior!