#21 AzTom

AzTom

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Allen

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:02 AM

this is a great looking toy. where can i get rub on chrome. i have heard of it but have not tried it and would like to.
Manny

Thanks for the kind words, I love redoing these old things.

I won mine at the famous Dessert Scale Classic model show a few years ago. I found this on ebay and looks to be the same type of chrome. http://www.ebay.com/...=item20c723abcc

The grill on my truck was done over the blue so it is not as bright as it should be.

I did the trunk of an Ertl 1/18 car and it was a great mirror finish.

Tom

#22 jerseyjunker1

jerseyjunker1

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Full Name:Manny Solano

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

Thanks for the kind words, I love redoing these old things.

I won mine at the famous Dessert Scale Classic model show a few years ago. I found this on ebay and looks to be the same type of chrome. http://www.ebay.com/...=item20c723abcc

The grill on my truck was done over the blue so it is not as bright as it should be.

I did the trunk of an Ertl 1/18 car and it was a great mirror finish.

Tom

thank you for the link Tom i saved it . i will have to try it out.

#23 Junkman

Junkman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts
  • Full Name:Christian Pamp

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

I wonder if you've ever paid any attention to what some of these old toys are worth to collectors?

Obviously, you are free to do whatever you want to do, and if that means reworking old pressed steel toys, that's perfectly fine. But I have seen several instances on "Antiques Roadshow" where toys very similar to the ones you rework were worth thousands! And of course, repainting them or in any way altering their originality instantly takes away any collectible value they may have.

Again... I'm not saying that what you're doing is wrong. I'm just curious if the potential value of the toys as collectibles is something you've ever considered.

You will never believe this - I had some unbelievably valuable plastic kits, mint/boxed. And guess what I did with them? Now they are worth bugger all.

I wouldn't hesitate a second to do what Tom did to an old toy, especially if it turns out as nice as his effort did.
Albeit the values of modified toys will always trail the values of original minters, there now seems to develop an ever growing community of collectors who do cherish good restorations and even Code 3s. Lately I've seen prices of well made restorations and Code 3s surpass the prices of worn originals quite often. So the all-out puritanism among the toy collector crowd finally does seem to soften.

#24 AzTom

AzTom

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Allen

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

Junkman, you have that correct, and thanks.

For the most part, especially 50's more common toys like this Hubley, that are in poor condition will only get better if done nicely. The bottom line is, collectors want something that looks good sitting on the shelf.