Fujimi Enthusiast Series Kits. Still the rabbit to chase.

• You cannot reply to this topic
56 replies to this topic

#41 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,367 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

I have never built one, and I get the feeling that I am missing out,  I think its time to get me a few to build

#42 peekay

peekay

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • Full Name:Peter Kennedy

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:59 PM

If you wish Fujimi had done a Jaguar XJS in this series then look for the Hasegawa kit(s). They have a similar parts count, quality and general realism.

#43 GeeBee

GeeBee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • Full Name:Geoff Brown

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:50 AM

I've just finished my first Fujimi enthusiast kit, the Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet, and everything went well until I came to put the chassis to the body, they just didn't line up without leaving a huge gap between the panels, and the ride height was awful, but will a little fettling, it was sorted, it was possibly one of the trickiest kits I've built, but I did enjoy it, would I build another ?? oh yes, I have a stack of these kits to get through, they just need a little planning and dry fitting before you put glue anywhere near to parts ....

#44 cruz

cruz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,634 posts
  • Full Name:Marcos Cruz

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:48 AM

I have a few of those and I love them. Yes they can be fiddly but at the end, they are the most realistic looking models. I did this baby about a year and a half ago and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

1973PorscheRallyCar13011-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I am planning to attack this one sometime this year, hopefully......

MODELSTOCK1028-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

1973PorscheRallyCar13011-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

#45 Monty

Monty

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts
  • Full Name:Monty

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:02 AM

If you wish Fujimi had done a Jaguar XJS in this series then look for the Hasegawa kit(s). They have a similar parts count, quality and general realism.

I recently completed a trade with another board member for one of those XJS kits. Based on what I've seen in the box, Hasegawa seems to have put a lot of work into this kit. Any pics of yours yet?

#46 afx

afx

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Full Name:JC Reckner

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:03 AM

I love'm.  Here is my effort with a 911R/911-Rally kit bash.

Attached Files

#47 beeRS

beeRS

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Full Name:Sonny Quazi

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:32 AM

I recently completed a trade with another board member for one of those XJS kits. Based on what I've seen in the box, Hasegawa seems to have put a lot of work into this kit. Any pics of yours yet?

The Hasagawa XJS is a nice kit, but the underside really lacks detail. It has a moulded in gearbox and the suspension is simplified. Having said that, it does make a nice model - just maybe not as nice as those Fujimi EM kits.

Agreed - the Fujimi Enthusiast models have the best detail I've ever seen. Even after 20 odd years I dont think anything rivels them for detail, however I do think some of Tamiya's latest stuff is coming very close (Enzo, Mclaren SLC, Ferrari 360).

#48 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

You want a white-knuckle experience, try working an EM Countach body shell over the finished chassis according to the instruction sequence.  That it all came together without anything shattering or splitting in half was all the proof of a benevolent God I needed.

I'd agree with Sonny that the Tamiya's 200+ piece Enzo came pretty close and their Carrera GT and LFA kits aren't too far off the mark.  Fujimi's own 250GTO has parts that number in the 190s, and if the engine were a little sharper, it would have been a perfect latter-day EM kit.

#49 peekay

peekay

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • Full Name:Peter Kennedy

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:50 AM

Sorry, no, I haven't photographed any of my models yet and the Jag is still in the box. But after checking it out out more thoroughly I see what Sonny means - less underside detail but I still claim it has the quality and character of the Fujimis.

#50 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,890 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

You want a white-knuckle experience, try working an EM Countach body shell over the finished chassis according to the instruction sequence.  That it all came together without anything shattering or splitting in half was all the proof of a benevolent God I needed.

Yikes! You got that right Chuck! :o

I built one of these also back in the '80's and with my somewhat novice experience then, I was able to get it together with nary a trouble! I wish I still had it---------maybe I'll seek out another and build it again someday.

I have about all of the 356 Porsches........a very overlooked kit these days! They can still be had on the 'Bay for very reasonable prices and if one takes their time, can be built without much trouble at all.

#51 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,185 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

I need to get some of the ES Porsches...I have several of the Ferraris.

#52 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

i built one of the XJS hasegawa kits:

http://www.modelcars...&hl=+jaguar +xj

http://www.modelcars...55015&hl=jaguar

fun build and if the chassis is simplified i didnt notice it...though i probably wouldnt know correct if i saw it. very nice kit and kind of a challenge to build.

#53 Mike_G

Mike_G

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Graves aka "the infamous Captain Reverb"

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

I built one of the Porsche 930 kits for a guy who owned the real car back in '87

It was a really detailed kit and turned out quite nice if I say so myself- I painted it Guard's Red and detailed the engine compartment with the aid of some Polaroid photos the guy took of his car. I think I charged him $65 + the price of the kit IIRC

I currently have the LP400 and Lancia Stratos kits in my stash

#54 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:05 PM

is it correct to think none of these EM kits approach the 356 in its various guises for complexity and detail? thats been my experience so far, those other porsches in the line its hard to tell exactly what makes them "EM" as opposed to a normal kit.

and someone said the fit of the 356 kits were near perfect? i have not built the entire kit but i have built a couple of the quad cam motors and transaxles and i found that things kinda didnt fit together all that well out of the box, a lot of fiddling and relocating of guide pins and adjusting was necessary to get a good look out of the motor and even then the finned cylinders had a horizontal seam going through them that has to be h e double hockey sticks to get rid of.

#55 Sam I Am

Sam I Am

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Full Name:Sam Grabenhorst

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

I have never built one, and I get the feeling that I am missing out,  I think its time to get me a few to build

Jonathan, I guarantee that you wont build it as quick as you do all your stuff. lol

I had one back in the late 80's but never built it. Shortly after getting married in the early 90's my wife wanted to build a kit, so i told her to take her pick of my stash. She pulled out the Enthusiast kit, and I told her what it was all about. She did it. and did an AWESOME job with it. Is it perfect? nope, but what an awesome job with an awesome kit. Watching Geofff build his, I went and bought a few more. Now I get my chance.  Yes, I think they are the most detailed kits built, and their parts count are unrivaled. 

#56 IMSANUT

IMSANUT

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Full Name:Jim McCall

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

I have quite a few of the 911 and 356 variants, as well as a 635CSI Bimmer. They are wonderful kits in many ways. I have always questioned the slightly flat top look of the 911 wheel arches though. Not quite correct. And as for the BMW, the roof looks slightly chopped in comparison to the Tamiya and even the Monogram kit. So, kit bash the Tamiya and the Fujimi and get the best 625 possible!

And the 356 is a great source of parts for various other Porsche models, like the RS 60 and 550 spyders.

#57 WizPorsche944

WizPorsche944

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Full Name:Walter Stetler

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:53 AM

Just picked up the BMW kit today, I also have several of the Porsches original & the re-boxed testors versions.  Anyone else working on one currently ?