Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Ford roadster gluebomb rework. April 26: back on track

Ace-Garageguy

• 2 weeks later...

What color is it going to be?

Black lacquer....shiny. And as always, thanks to everyone who's posted comments. I appreciate your interest in this project.

Getting close to the end, final fitting prior to paint. Got to looking at how the Olds mounts, and the fuel pump seemed to be in the way for what I had in mind. Got to looking through some HRM back issues and came on this aftermarket mount that clears the fuel pump by going behind it....

DSCN7470.jpg

...so I made one with a similar joggle.....

DSCN7479.jpg

....then had to shave a little more off of the firewall to clear the heads and the distributor.......

DSCN7494.jpg

Got brackets for the wishbones on and drilled....

DSCN7497.jpg

...and started widening an old tonneau from something else to fit the '32 right, and to offset the aperture for the driver to the left, as I want to display the car stripped for lakes running.....

DSCN7475.jpg

Happy with the fit of everything underneath, so on to primer on the frame.....

DSCN7513.jpg

Thanks guys.

I don't remember seeing that Offy adapter in my stuff. Did you scratch it? Or where'd it start from?

The trans adapter is from one of the first-gen, Olds powered Revell Stone-Woods-Cook Willys kits. In the kit it mates a B&M Hydro-stick (based on the early GM Hydra-matic) to a first-gen Olds V8. The molded-in mating-profile for the gearbox isn't right for the LaSalle, but in 1:1 could conceiveably have been redrilled to accept it.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Built a custom dash panel, adapted some Mercedes instruments and fitted a center-steer box for the cowl-steering....

DSCN7563.jpg

Made a lot of engine progress, including almost finishing the AMT '40 Ford / Olds manifold. Also adapted the Revell '50 Olds pulleys and will hang a generator from bracketry over the left head.

DSCN7571.jpg

Hinged the decklid, fitted the fuel tank and most of the interior and painted the seat.

DSCN7639.jpg

Sprung for a PE grille insert.....

DSCN7579.jpg

...and sat back and enjoyed the view.

DSCN7615.jpg

I think the work on the rear pan and the QC rear end was worth the effort.

DSCN7608.jpg

• Like 2

......... I like how you take the time to make sure everything would work in 1:1, it adds a lot to the realism of the build.

Thanks BK...that's the way I enjoy doing it. Since I build the stuff for real, I just automatically think that way. Can't help it.

And thank you all for the enthusiastic and positive responses to this build. This is exactly what I'd put together in 1:1 for myself if I could.

A little more fiddling, and then final disassembly for paint.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy