#1 hotrodblder

hotrodblder

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Full Name:Shawn Steinle

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

I'm looking for a '74 Le Mans or the closest thing I can find that I might be able to convert into something stock looking. I've not had a lot of luck with my search and I'm guessing it's probably a long shot. I would even consider a promo if someone might be able to steer me in the right direction.

This is what I would like to end up building if any one can help me get the ball rolling.
Posted Image

#2 disabled modeler

disabled modeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

With a lot of converting you could use a 75 Cutlass for the base model....me Id love to see a Grand Am or GTO of this body style

#3 gray07

gray07

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts
  • Full Name:Shelly and Darrin Holts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:29 PM

Dont know the year but there was a 1/32 pontiac grandprix or grand am, i have one on my shelf, but never seen a 1/25-1/24. My 1/32 even came molded in black

#4 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,225 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

Dont know the year but there was a 1/32 pontiac grandprix or grand am

I think Lindberg made both a Grand Prix and Grand Am in their 1/32 scale line of Mini Lindys. Someone posted the Grand Prix in "Under Glass" last week.

The only bi-scale '73 Grand Am I know of is the one built by Juha Airio a decade(?) ago and featured in Car Modeler magazine. I know he has mastered a few resin kits for AirTrax in Europe, but I don't think they did a resin kit of the Grand Am.

#5 GMP440

GMP440

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:59 AM

There is a 77' or 76' in resin already. Same body as the 74'.
Shown here in a past topic maybe about 9 months ago. I beleive it's casted by RMR resin or Frontier Resins. I could be mistaken on the company name, but it is currently available. The caster is a board member here.

#6 hotrodblder

hotrodblder

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

Thanks a lot. That brings the hope level up a notch or two.

This link to a thread from here isn't boosting my confidence in Frontier Resin Design. Even if they are the only people who have what I'm looking for.

http://www.modelcars...topic=6130&st=0

Edited by hotrodblder, 19 June 2012 - 12:23 PM.

#7 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,857 posts
  • Full Name:George53

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:28 PM

That style of LeMans is cast by RMR resins. It's actually a Can Am coupe, and it looks pretty good after a little TLC. It doesn't FALL together, but with some patience an good refrence pics it builds into a pretty good lookin kit. Oh yeah, it's pretty complete, you add a motor, wheels an tires , an your good to go. HTH :D ;)

#8 hotrodblder

hotrodblder

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:34 PM

RMR as in Resin Motor Replicas?

#9 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,225 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:47 PM

Here's the topic about the '77 Pontiac Cam Am from RMR George mentioned above: http://www.modelcars...showtopic=40233

And another on the same offering: http://www.modelcars...showtopic=36153

Not the best starting point IMHO, as you're still totally scratchbuilding the nose and rear end, interior, etc...

#10 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,857 posts
  • Full Name:George53

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:12 PM

Thank You Casey! I appericiate that! :D ;)

#11 hotrodblder

hotrodblder

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:29 PM

Yeah, Casey, thanks. I saw those. The nose IS pretty square and the rear end would need to be redone, too. The tail lights run north & south, not east & west.

BUT on the lighter side, I was setting here typing this out and looking at my references at the same time....

I don't think it would be that hard to do if I had a '65 Gto grille, and a pair of '72 Gto head lights for the front and who knows what for the rear end. I guess I'll have to figure it out when the time comes.

I went to the Resin Motor Replica site and was not able to find the Can Am kit available.