#41 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,892 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:27 AM

Yes, I have 3 copies of the JoHan Mercedes 500K Roadster Limousine; the original Gold Cup Series has beautiful wire wheels and very crisp molding, but the later reissue (red body) has quite a bit more flash, including spotty chrome coverage.

#42 Richard Bartrop

Richard Bartrop

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Bartrop

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:40 AM

Yes, I have 3 copies of the JoHan Mercedes 500K Roadster Limousine; the original Gold Cup Series has beautiful wire wheels and very crisp molding, but the later reissue (red body) has quite a bit more flash, including spotty chrome coverage.

The later Jo-han re-issues were pretty rough.  I have a Cadillac Town Brougham on my to build pile, and you cah see bumps where they ground something off the mould, and didn't bother to fill it in.  The badge on the stone guard has also be smoothed off.   Thankfully the early issues can still be had fairly cheaply.

#43 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,880 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

Anyone have a comprehensive list of what's available in 1/16 scale?

#44 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,892 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:59 AM

Anyone have a comprehensive list of what's available in 1/16 scale?

No comprehensive list, but I keep the subject bookmarked for eBay listings, which gives a decent overview.

http://www.ebay.com/...188,220&_sop=10

Harry is probably aware of this, but the late Martin Swire specialized in building 1/16 classic kits and some other scales. You can see some of his excellent work here:

http://www.freewebs.com/martsmodels/

Edited by sjordan2, 07 August 2013 - 04:38 AM.

#45 Paul H

Paul H

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Harker

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

Almost certainly not definitive, but here are the 1:16 '30s car kits that I know of:

Bandai:

'37 Packard 12 Roadster

'37 Packard 12 Formal Sedan

Bugatti T41 Royale Binder Coupe de Ville

Revell

Rolls-Royce Phantom II Sedanca - very recently re-released by Revell Germany

I think that there was also a '33/34 Ford coupe and phaeton - not sure exactly which ones though, but think that they were hot rod / street rod.

There is also a Rolls-Royce Phantom III saloon / sedan in 1:16, but I'm not sure who made it.

I built the Royale a while back, and also have the Packard roadster in my to build pile, should you want any info on those two kits.

#46 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,892 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

Almost certainly not definitive, but here are the 1:16 '30s car kits that I know of:

Bandai:

'37 Packard 12 Roadster

Revell

I think that there was also a '33/34 Ford coupe and phaeton - not sure exactly which ones though, but think that they were hot rod / street rod.

There is also a Rolls-Royce Phantom III saloon / sedan in 1:16, but I'm not sure who made it.

I built the Royale a while back, and also have the Packard roadster in my to build pile, should you want any info on those two kits.

Bandai:

'37 Packard 12 Roadster

Revell

The Rolls Phantom III was released by Anmark, Academy/Minicraft, Entex and Revell. I think it was originally a Gunze Sangyo (I have only seen 2 builds of this kit, neither of which was well done, but it's a beautiful kit), But there are a zillion more, including Fords, Morgan, Jaguar SS 100 etc. I recommend that you look at the link I posted above, #44, for Martin Swire and eBay 1/16.

#47 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,892 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:57 AM

The Rolls Phantom III, I believe, was originally from Gunze Sangyo; it has been reissued by Anmark, Academy Minicraft, Entex and Revell, and I have all versions. Beautiful kit, but I've only seen 2 builds, and neither was well done. As for a broader view of 1/16 classic kits, please see the links I posted in reply #44.

EDIT: I won't even go into the problems I've had posting on this thread, and why this post is redundant to the last one and I can't get rid of it. Let's just say I truly miss the Delete button. I have zero problems with any other forums or websites.

Edited by sjordan2, 07 August 2013 - 10:29 AM.

#48 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,892 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:11 AM

One thing I might add, which seems to be common among virtually ALL classic Rolls-Royce kits, except for Pocher, is the failure to accurately depict the radiator shutters. They opened and closed by thermostats, and every kit I've seen makes it look like they have thin, permanent vertical strips, whereas closed radiator shutters - the most typical -  would look wider and be positioned at an angle. Pocher, of course, makes you jump through hoops to assemble those shutter vanes. A more realistic build would be somewhere between the wide-open shutters and the shot below.

Shutters closed:

Picture15_zps134fb0e7.png

Edited by sjordan2, 07 August 2013 - 11:32 AM.

#49 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,880 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:31 AM

Pocher, of course, makes you jump through hoops to assemble those shutter vanes.

Pocher makes you jump through hoops to assemble everything!  :lol:  But the shutters on Pocher RRs are nice... they're metal strips with the vertical rib embossed into each vane, just like the real deal, and the RR radiators go together well. Too bad the rest of the kits aren't that painless!

#50 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:42 AM

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but Ideal Toy Corporation (who did make a FEW very well-done model car kits back in the very early 60's) produced a 1:10 scale plastic kit of the 1929 Duesenberg Model J Roadster (body by the Walter Murphy Company of Pasadena CA) that was owned by Duesenberg Inc's single best customer, George Whittel, of Lake Tahoe and Woodland CA (Whittel bought 5 Duesenbergs, from 1929-33).   A very rare kit today, but also a very nice one.

Art

#51 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

Wow. Never seen that Hispano Suiza before -- must be very valuable.

It's been reissued many times over the past 35 years or so.

Art

#52 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,892 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but Ideal Toy Corporation (who did make a FEW very well-done model car kits back in the very early 60's) produced a 1:10 scale plastic kit of the 1929 Duesenberg Model J Roadster (body by the Walter Murphy Company of Pasadena CA) that was owned by Duesenberg Inc's single best customer, George Whittel, of Lake Tahoe and Woodland CA (Whittel bought 5 Duesenbergs, from 1929-33).   A very rare kit today, but also a very nice one.

Art

I built that Duesenberg many years ago, and boy, was it rough. 2-part plastic tires with molded-on hubcaps (I had to make tread out of putty), no chrome parts, no engine or particularly detailed mechanical depictions,very simplistic and toy-like,, and I think (I think) that it had metal rod axles. But it looked good when finished. Strange "motorizing" feature ("Cam-O-Matic Action"). I think it might have been reissued several years ago with chrome parts included.

Edited by sjordan2, 20 August 2013 - 09:08 AM.

#53 dimaxion

dimaxion

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Full Name:John JR. Landgraver

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:23 AM

I can clear up some items here . Pyro may have planned to do a 1/25 Scale Pierce Silver Arrow . AMT did announce it . No word past that point . The MPC Stutz Bearcat kit was made . To be followed up by the Mercer raceabout . The poor sales of the Stutz cancelled any plan for the Mercer . The Edsel Funny Car was in a bag . Not a Box . I bought one in the day from my LHS . One of the Decals was : "Driver Flo Boadit " . A repop of the Original Edsel promo Body (turned to a 3 in 1 Kit in '58) and a Generic Funny Car Chassis . The AMT  "Beverly Hillbilly's" Olds kit was released instead of another announced Veteren Car kit . I don't remember what . Any help here ?   Thanx .. 

#54 Bob Ellis

Bob Ellis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Ellis

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:30 PM

I bought the Edsel funny car new in, maybe 1967 or 1968. It was a box with end flaps, printed as though it was a model kit box in a brown paper bag, with part of the box poking up out of the bag.

It was a sort of a phantom kit. AutoWorld listed it as $2.00 in their catalog .So, I sent AutoWorld $2.00 for what I thought was a stock Edsel kit but they send me an Edsel funny car and a refund for 50 cents. Something happened to change their minds about a stock Edsel kit.

#55 Mark

Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

I can clear up some items here . Pyro may have planned to do a 1/25 Scale Pierce Silver Arrow . AMT did announce it . No word past that point . The MPC Stutz Bearcat kit was made . To be followed up by the Mercer raceabout . The poor sales of the Stutz cancelled any plan for the Mercer . The Edsel Funny Car was in a bag . Not a Box . I bought one in the day from my LHS . One of the Decals was : "Driver Flo Boadit " . A repop of the Original Edsel promo Body (turned to a 3 in 1 Kit in '58) and a Generic Funny Car Chassis . The AMT  "Beverly Hillbilly's" Olds kit was released instead of another announced Veteren Car kit . I don't remember what . Any help here ?   Thanx .. 

MPC produced the Stutz Bearcat because it was featured in a short-lived TV show.  The first issue box art includes still photographs from the TV show.  I've never heard of MPC or anyone else doing a Mercer kit, except the large scale motorized ITC kit from the early Sixties.

AMT didn't release the Beverly Hillbillies truck originally, it was MPC.  The reissue is branded AMT because RC2 was not using the MPC brand on its kits.  Had Ertl reissued it when they were doing Buyer's Choice kits, they probably would have used original style box art with the MPC brand.

#56 Modelmartin

Modelmartin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts
  • Full Name:Mr. Yuk

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:36 AM

I've never heard of MPC or anyone else doing a Mercer kit, except the large scale motorized ITC kit from the early Sixties.

\Aurora did one in 1/16 and Pyro did one in 1/32 as did Hudson's Old-Timers. Sadly, no 1/24-5 Mercers have been done!

#57 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,892 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:00 AM

\Aurora did one in 1/16 and Pyro did one in 1/32 as did Hudson's Old-Timers. Sadly, no 1/24-5 Mercers have been done!

I don't know if the ITC Mercer is related, but a 1/16 was issued in Entex and Fuman/Bandai packaging, perhaps other labels as well (check Harry P.'s excellent job). I believe the Aurora 1/16, like their Stutz, was a curbside with much less detail.

#58 dimaxion

dimaxion

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Full Name:John JR. Landgraver

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:48 AM

MPC produced the Stutz Bearcat because it was featured in a short-lived TV show.  The first issue box art includes still photographs from the TV show.  I've never heard of MPC or anyone else doing a Mercer kit, except the large scale motorized ITC kit from the early Sixties.

AMT didn't release the Beverly Hillbillies truck originally, it was MPC.  The reissue is branded AMT because RC2 was not using the MPC brand on its kits.  Had Ertl reissued it when they were doing Buyer's Choice kits, they probably would have used original style box art with the MPC brand.

It seems to me I did not get the Stutz right as an AMT kit , not a MPC kit . I had both the Original Release In the Connisuer Classics Series . In my Current collection , the Bearcat release . The later had Machine Guns (Vickers Water Cooled) and funky Running Board Lamps . IIRC the Connisuer had an older date on it than the Bearcat Version . Correct me if I am wrong . IIRC the "Cat from AMT" , Bud Anderson , made a Model Car periodical statement about the Mercer kit in 1/25 Scale . I don't have the magazine today . I may have this mixed up with "My mother the Car" . 

#59 ToyLvr

ToyLvr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Adams

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:49 PM

Here's the MPC "Bearcat" for those who have never seen it .

This is an original "survivor" from my personal collection. I built this as a kid nearly 40 years ago. Hard to believe that it had survived (mostly) intact all these years.

Attached File  image.jpg   65.92KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   106.03KB   0 downloads