Ford C1000 ? or Ford H series ?

• You cannot reply to this topic
28 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Johnny_*

Guest_Johnny_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

With a sleeper that small I hope the driver was really short.

Want a short sleeper try sleeping in an early International Emoryville!!! I'm 5'7" and it was short! :lol:

#22 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,909 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:06 PM

I don't know- those C-Series cabs were a good seven feet wide inside. You could sit four guys abreast on the bench seat. Unless you're Andre the Giant or something, ought to be more than enough room in that sleeper. B)

#23 lapazleo

lapazleo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Full Name:Leo Bishop

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

GMC crackerboxes were no picnic either at 6'3"

#24 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,909 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:53 PM

Chuck,

A question, I remember reading something some time ago where Ford had actually protyped a tractor using the Econline van cab. Apparently when Dodge came up with
the l700 cab looked very silimiliar to the Ford prototype, is there any reference in the book you have of that cab. Was thinking that be another great build op.

Thanks
Rick

Here's a picture, and the information from the book.
Posted Image

After having dominated the tilt cab market since entering it in 1957, Ford became concerned that it had lost ground during 1962-63 to such competitors as the International Co Loadstar, Mack MB, and White Compact. Consequently, a new compact tilt cab concept vehicle was built in 1964 which employed the Econoline pickup cab mounted on a C-600-size forward control chassis. The company's intent in making such a model was to have offered it in 550-750 Series and to have employed Ford I-6 and FT-Series V8 gas engines and English Ford and small Cummins diesels. After thoroughly investigating the marketing aspects of revising the Ford Tilt Cab formulation, management decided not to pursue the concept further. Interestingly, Dodge either learned of Ford's effort, or working independently, developed a similar design of its own, and placed it on the market in early 1966 as the L-600 and L-700 models.

#25 Rich_S

Rich_S

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Shirey

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:16 AM

Any of you guys ecer seeen one of these:

http://www.flickr.co...N08/5232684940/

Can't fiqure out just exactly what it is ??

Rick

Rick, Nice find, a two story Falcon with a swept back axle ;) Just love those old coffin sleepers. I"m 5 10" and never had a problem with the IH Transtar II sleeper, but I think those old coffin sleepers were only about half the width of the Transtar bunk. Most of the cabovers I drove were single bunks, which used the same mattress as a a single bed. Ohh, no place like home :blink:

Edited by Rich_S, 27 June 2012 - 03:21 AM.

#26 cdnmodman

cdnmodman

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Full Name:rick beaubien

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:43 AM

Thanks Chuck for the econoline pic, looking at it and the l700, looks like a close match from body style, might be some opportunites with some scratchbuilding to come up
with a reasonable look copy ??

Thanks again

Rick

#27 jacobus

jacobus

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Full Name:jacobus a vd kemp

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:47 AM

this is a ford where i am making a sleeper on [ trying to] laying all for a couple of months in a box
make it from a picture of russel macniel [hank truckpictures] and wil a allied van line colour painting whit a moving van
there iis something whit this old trucks that i like i dont know what but i am always lookin for this types of coe,s
but first the white 7000
jacobus

#28 jacobus

jacobus

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Full Name:jacobus a vd kemp

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

o yes here a picture of the cab whit the sleeping part

Posted ImagePosted Image

#29 Rich_S

Rich_S

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Shirey

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

Hi jacobus, It looks like you are off to a great start. Keep us posted on your progress.