#1 mmdm4

mmdm4

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Mason

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:35 PM

Does anybody know if the Malco Gasser was ever produced with a flat hood? There is someone on e-bay selling a "professionally" painted body that he claims is from the original Malco Gasser kit. I have never seen a photo of the original Malco Gasser without the teardrop hood and when I asked the seller he said he checked with his source who is a drag racing fan who claims the original Malco had a flat hood. I know the Street Freak mustang is almost a copy of the Malco car but it has a flat hood.

#2 iBorg

iBorg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:08 AM

Nope.....the originals all had the hood bulge. A lot of modlers would LOVE to see it restored. While the MPC Malaco gassers were not totally accurate, the Street Freak version is even more so. Its a good base if you're going to do a lot of scratch building to get it right but the emphasis is on "a lot of scratch building."

#3 kitswapper

kitswapper

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Full Name:Jim White

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:51 AM

The AMT pro street Mustang was a reissue version of the Original MPC Malco Gasser was with a modified with a FLAT hood and different tires and wheels and side exhausts and other mods, but was pretty much 85% the Malco Gasser kit..The AMT Street Freak mustang is the reissue of the High Roller A/FX Mustang kit from the 1960's a completely different kit.

Attached Files

Edited by kitswapper, 26 June 2012 - 05:55 AM.

#4 walterbog

walterbog

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Full Name:walt bogdan

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:22 AM

i would just like to add that the original malco gasser kit [and every other reissue] had a accurate rear 1967 mustang body while the flip front ends were totally inaccurate 1965-6 mustang front ends.to remedy this situation you would have to graft the hood buldge [or entire hood] to a 1967 front end you removed from another mustang.i removed mine from a 1967 mustang chopped top funny car that is no longer made.the original malco gasser mustang[real car] did not have a front spoiler which was added later and still later the car had a front end with no headlights and no spoiler.ohio george raced this car from 1967 to 1971[or later].

#5 madhorseman

madhorseman

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Full Name:Roy Trejo
    "I love it, I need it, I seed it, yeah turns me on, alright hold tight, I'm a highway star"

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

Hi Mark,
a few years ago I built this version using the AMT Pro Street re-issue. It just so happend that someone was selling a resin nose to build a more accurate version. I did recently buy a built car on EBay, for the chassis to use on another project that did have the correct hood bulge, but with grille headlights and such of a '65-66 car.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by madhorseman, 01 July 2012 - 10:47 AM.

#6 rustybill1960

rustybill1960

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts
  • Full Name:Russell Poland

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:28 AM

:D
I have both these kits in my stash, for the Malco and Mr.Gasket builds
Thank You for the info!
Later