Sometimes things don't go according to plan when building a model, but I think it's how you can recover that matters. I've done a lot of recovering the last few years!!!
I got the black on, but I had one really crisp mask line on one side of the cowl, and a not so crisp line on the other.
Here's the good side:
...and the not so good side:
In the pics, the good side looks just OK, and the bad side doesn't look that bad, but in person there was a noticeable difference.
So I masked it off and reshot the edge:
...and got a much crisper line.
Since the were base coats of color, it's not real glossy and is a little flat. Although it wasn't as rough as it looked in the pics, it still wouldn't make a good surface for decals, so I wanted to lay down a thin clear coat before putting on the decals. That's when things went really sideways!
I'm not sure what happened, but the clear just wasn't flowing out. So what did I do? Laid more on! So much for a thin coat! (It really wasn't too thick...) But it never flowed out and left orange peel over the whole surface.
To make matters worse, the wheels really came off the bus when the bottle fell off the airbrush while shooting the cowl, and I panicked and dropped the part right onto a cloth in the booth. >
If you look close, you can see the junk on the side here:
so needless to say, I spent the next day watching races with a bowl of water and my polishing cloths in hand instead of cutting decals. :-[
There was a little burn-through on the thin spots where the clear hit the cloth, but nothing I can't touch up and bury under the final clear coat.
Here it is polished back up:
That line between the black and white is straight as an arrow, so I'm not sure why it looks crooked in the pic.
Thanks for looking. More to come...