1/32 Andretti Lola Indy Car- Highly Detailed
Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:47 PM
I think I ignored these kits when they came out, even though I love the subject. I guess I must have figured they were lo-fi snap kits. I've got a small collection of 1/32 scale kits now - mostly stuff that wasn't kitted in 1/24-25.
Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:51 AM
Steve, I've heard from a lot of Indy Car model enthusiasts who have these kits but never thought much of them, but I think it has potential. Hopefully, this one will realize some of that potential and maybe they'll think differently about them when I'm done!
I had a few more challenges since my last post. some of the fabrication I did on the back of the tub, along with some mounting pins breaking while mocking things up early on, cause a little bind in the tub. I used some epoxy to keep it in place. After I painted it and started decaling, the epoxy popped, leaving a gap in the tub that will affect the fit of the cowl. Well, it also stretched the paint in one spot on the tub, such that when it's back in place, the paint creased.
This shot shoes the gap just under the "K":
Pushing down, you can see the crease:
I epoxied it back down, this time being sure I scuffed it better and laid a whole bunch in there!
Then I sanded the crease and masked it off and shot some base coat in there.
Masked it off for the final clear coat, but... in doing so, I damaged the K on the left side handling it. I wasn't sure what I was going to do, but I ended up masking off the shape of the ends of the K and brush painting it back into shape. This left it without the black outline, but I happened to look at the sheet from the Tamiya 1/20 Newman Haas kit I had out ( I had to steal the Havoline logos on the side pods from it because the Indycals were tad too large) and noticed a tiny black line they used to identify the decals on the sheet. It was perfect. So I cut a few lengths and traced them around the K where it was missing, Unless yoju look WAY up close, it's really hard to tell.
I thought snap kits were supposed to be easy!!!!!!
This after I reshaped the lower left corner of the K, but before I added the outline.
Here's the Tamiya sheet. You can see the line running across it:
Here it is repaired and cleared:
Here's the rest of the body after decals and clear was completed, but not yet polished out where needed:
Edited by Art Laski, 06 August 2012 - 07:53 AM.
Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:54 AM
And a little detail painting on the shocks and upper rear A-arms, etc.
And I also added a tube from the turbo to the plenum that can be seen in these mockup shots:
Thanks for looking!
Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:08 AM
Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:49 AM
Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:50 PM
Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:42 PM
Tony, Terry, thanks so much for the kind words. Tony, these kits are definitely underrated because they are snap kits, IMO. The detail and proportions are really good, and I really love this era of Indy Car racing.
Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:16 PM
The rear shocks look crooked because that piece has a bind in it and is not glued in yet, so it sits askew a bit right now.
Here's the progress I have pictures of so far.
I also tried shooting the pics outside to see if I could get some of the colors to show up a bit more.
Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:51 PM
Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:09 PM
Here's are some even more current pics of the radiator tubes I made out of solder. I used Tamiya tape painted with craft acrylics for the joint hoses, and aluminum tape for the hose clamps:
Thanks for looking!
Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:36 PM
Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:59 PM
Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:36 PM
Thanks my friends. Glad you guys are watching!
Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:31 PM
Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:19 PM
very nice work