#1 TooOld

TooOld

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,378 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Spedding

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:11 AM

I just returned from my weekly trip to the local Publix here in Citrus Park . In the aisle with school supplies and cheap toys were two Revell '70 Chevelles ( Streetburners ) for $15.99 each ! I was shocked and just stared at them for a few minutes . The shelf next to them was empty and had room for several more kits . Maybe they were already sold ? I wasn't interested in that particular kit so I moved on . Now I'm wondering if it is worth buying . Do any of you have this kit ?
This could be a sign of good things to come .

#2 Scuderia

Scuderia

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  • Full Name:Lawrence Greene

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:22 AM

lucky that kit is on my to do list. Sounds like a good price too. those build up nice.

As far as seeing kits at the grocer, i think it depends. you can run into kits all sorts of places. Nice thing is a lot of times you get a killer deal because of it.

#3 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts
  • Full Name:Tony

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:23 AM

About three Christmases ago I bought 2 models at the grocery store...the haven't had them back again...hopefully a good sign if they do start popping up again.

#4 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:31 AM

If you are as old as me.....you remember when every drug, grocery and even 7-11 carried model car kits.

#5 TooOld

TooOld

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,378 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Spedding

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:40 AM

If you are as old as me.....you remember when every drug, grocery and even 7-11 carried model car kits.

I grew up in Torrance , Ca . and in the late 60's the best place to buy models was at the corner Thrifty Drug store .

#6 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,006 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:05 AM

Years ago Walgreens had a model section.

#7 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,324 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:18 AM

l have one of those kits l have not built yet. l am 46 and was born raised in chicago, l remember models in the drug store,dime stores and local hobby shops was every where....Slusher

#8 vettecote

vettecote

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Full Name:Joe

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:39 AM

My ACE hardware store has models...although they are priced like a hobby shop!...Joe

#9 JamesW

JamesW

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • Full Name:James WastaWTF

Curb Appeal M.C.C. President

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:41 AM

I remember the dime store having them. Come to think of it I haven't seen a dime store in a while, were they replaced by dollar stores while I wasn't looking? :o

I made frequent trips to the dime store up the street my house when I was a kid. 15 years ago AT LEAST the went bankrupt and within a couple months there was a Family Dollar in there. A couple years later a Rite Aid was built across the street, then they closed a year later and a Dollar General moved in.

I WISH the Grocery's would start selling kits. I've got 2 places in town that sell models. Both have a VERY limited selection and are way overpriced. Otherwise, the nearest place to me is an hour away or more.

#10 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,414 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:54 AM

The Thriftys stores in California was were I first bought kits . . .

That would be a good sign except the Publix in my area is reducing stock to the bare minimum ###### THEY themselves market. Brand new store and the selection sucks. I doubt they would give up space for styrene.

#11 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,515 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Martz

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:00 AM

One of my favorite places to buy them when I was a kid was a local hardware store.

#12 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin White

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:20 AM

Now here's a nostalgic thread! Growing up as a young boy in the early seventies, I remember buying lots of kits at the multiple local hobby shops. I also picked some up at places like Kroger's grocery stores, Ben Franklin's five-and-dime, Demmer's hardware, the drugstore, Woolworth's and Kresge's (which became K-mart)

Basically, model kits were everywhere. Such a hot and popular item with a great profit margin that everyone and his brother was selling them. I remember seeing an old Aurora Chitty Bang Bang kit at the hardware store when my dad went to get supplies for a porch he was building. Fortunately he needed to go there several times and each time he went I was right there with him bugging him to death for that kit. Finally he was heading there for the last item he needed and wouldn't let me go! I was crushed!...until he came home with the kit. In 1972 that kit cost a dollar. Fondest of memories. :) :)

#13 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:08 AM

At one time my local Raley's Supermarket had a very nice selection, some Revell 32's, some R-M stuff, even Testors paint. The Longs Drugs ( now CVS ) had AMT offerings. I got a Blackforce and Street Fury there. Back in the late 60's early 70's, Longs always had a great selection. I still have a half-dozen kits I bought back then and haven't yet built.

#14 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:24 AM

I grew up in Torrance , Ca . and in the late 60's the best place to buy models was at the corner Thrifty Drug store .

1960's Whittier CA here!!! The local The non chain drug store up the street had a Testors paint rack and always 30-40 models in stock. I can recall getting a note from my mom to allow me to buy a tube of Testors glue!!!

And a hardware store is where I made the best purchase ever. I found a old hardware store in the NC mountains around 1977 that was stuck in 1966.....models from 1962 to 1966 ....about 50 of them. Took me 3 visits to get them all but I did. Ended up selling most of them....and buying my 1/1 scale 1973 Javelin so it was a good deal for sure!

Edited by Dave Van, 07 July 2012 - 07:24 AM.

#15 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,160 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:43 AM

I just returned from my weekly trip to the local Publix here in Citrus Park . In the aisle with school supplies and cheap toys were two Revell '70 Chevelles ( Streetburners ) for $15.99 each ! I was shocked and just stared at them for a few minutes . The shelf next to them was empty and had room for several more kits . Maybe they were already sold ? I wasn't interested in that particular kit so I moved on . Now I'm wondering if it is worth buying . Do any of you have this kit ?

This was built from that kit. It's pretty basic, not a lot of parts, but they're nice parts.

Posted Image

#16 Brizio

Brizio

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts
  • Full Name:Fabrizio Fae

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

Here Fred Meyer chain has kits too! Years ago WalMar was selling Pocher!

#17 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,751 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:36 AM

I HATE going to grocery stores!

#18 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,515 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Martz

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

I HATE going to grocery stores!

...It's all about food mostly! :lol:

#19 FEENIX

FEENIX

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Full Name:Ozzy Aguilar

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:13 AM

The K-Mart near me has some model kits. a whole row with tom daniel kits, a whole row for snap tite, and a whole row of street burners with classic kits next to it like old roadsters. I really hope they start popping up more in grocery stores. I remember as a kid, I was able to get them at Wal-mart and now they're no where to be found in there.

#20 Ben

Ben

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,928 posts
  • Full Name:Ben Wicker

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

Yep!