#1 lapazleo

lapazleo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Full Name:Leo Bishop

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

They say when Ertl switched from air ride to the Hendrickson walking beam they made the wheel base shorter I've built both versions many times and I seen no difference. Am I missing something?

#2 mistermodel

mistermodel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Full Name:KEVIN YORKE

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

I think the difference is when they made the original transtat into the transtarII eagle.The first one had a "western "wheelbase

#3 lapazleo

lapazleo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

Just checked Ertl no.1 original A model transtar kit I have same frame as transtar 2 kits I have. All long wheelbases.

#4 Jim B

Jim B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,731 posts
  • Full Name:James Bongiovanni

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

Sounds like urban legend to me!

#5 lapazleo

lapazleo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

That's what I 'm thinking. In fact the old transtar only differs in the stacks and air cleaner and the spoke wheels. About 90% of the transtar 2 kit is the original transtar. Not so different from the 1 to 1 transtars

#6 Jim B

Jim B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:51 AM

True. I really how these kits get reissued someday. Round2 has already reissued the Ertl International Transtar 4300, so there's always a possibility.

#7 cargostar

cargostar

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:28 AM

If it happens, it would be the Transtar II. The tooling for the first Transtar was modified into the Transtar II tool. So, it no longer exists. The Transtar II tooling does still exist, as it was reissued 15 or so years ago.

#8 Jim B

Jim B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:53 AM

Well, that's good. I suppose one could always "back-date" the Transtar II to a Transtar.

#9 lapazleo

lapazleo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:36 AM

Yep Porky already has a daycab early transtar.

#10 Jim B

Jim B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:56 AM

This is true. And with that cab you can make some nice fleet tractors. Any idea what changes would have to be made to the frame to backdate the Transtar II to a Transtar? Just to backdate the frame (if necessary), not to make it a single axle daycab.

#11 lapazleo

lapazleo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:50 AM

Just the air cleaner and stacks Ertl reused the chassis straight out.

#12 mackinac359

mackinac359

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts
  • Full Name:Tim Ahlborn

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:57 AM

The chassis has the same wheel base between Ertl Transtar CO4070A and the CO4070B Transtar II. The suspension changed from the air ride to a Hendrickson walking beam with the Transtar II. The engine also went to a turbocharged version with single exhaust.
The rumor is that the tool was altered to make the Transtar II but this has never been confirmed publicly by someone who has physically touched the tools.

That being said - if you compare a 4070A cab and the 4070B cab (original issue, not later reissue), the stampings for copy right, part numbers and mold marks are identical in both cabs.

The original Ertl #8000 was a better kit with fewer fit issued that the Transtar II suffered from.

Tim

#13 Jim B

Jim B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

Well, I still hope they reissue it.

#14 mackinac359

mackinac359

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

To backdate...
1). Remove the lower cab panels. Fill in the door handle mounting location. Rework the square headlamp openings to round. Use round lamps from a 4300 or a Paystar. Move the wipers down below the windshield. Lower the cab mounts to bring the cab down.. or built it as a co4090 and leave the filler panels under the cab, where the step is under the nameplate, you'd fill that in with a small stirrup step. Remove the "II" from the nameplates. Make a 4070A style bumper. Change the aircleaner from the horizontal type to a vertical canister. Smaller grab handles. The instrument panel would need to be changed too.

Tim

This is true. And with that cab you can make some nice fleet tractors. Any idea what changes would have to be made to the frame to backdate the Transtar II to a Transtar? Just to backdate the frame (if necessary), not to make it a single axle daycab.

#15 Jim B

Jim B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

To backdate...
1). Remove the lower cab panels. Fill in the door handle mounting location. Rework the square headlamp openings to round. Use round lamps from a 4300 or a Paystar. Move the wipers down below the windshield. Lower the cab mounts to bring the cab down.. or built it as a co4090 and leave the filler panels under the cab, where the step is under the nameplate, you'd fill that in with a small stirrup step. Remove the "II" from the nameplates. Make a 4070A style bumper. Change the aircleaner from the horizontal type to a vertical canister. Smaller grab handles. The instrument panel would need to be changed too.

Tim

That's a lot more work than I'm up for. I'll just get Porky's cab. Assuming that they ever reissue the Transtar II.

#16 cargostar

cargostar

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

I'll have to check the dimensions, but I'm pretty sure the Transtar II cab is too short in the BBC dimension. When IH brought out the II, they also lengthened the cab by 4 or 5 inches. I'll dig out my spec book and compare.

Ertl did not lenghten the cab.

#17 lapazleo

lapazleo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

The 1973 specs (transtar) I have show a 51" 74" and 84" cab. They also show cab raised 5" for Cummins VT903 NTC350 NTA370 and Detroit diesel 8v71T. Somewhere in the late 70s, 79 maybe they went to an 88" cab. Either way the the different wheelbases are clearly a myth. Hopefully Round 2 will bring either Transtar coe back. On a side note the 5" higher cab stayed permanently for the Transtar 2.

#18 Rich_S

Rich_S

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Shirey

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:30 PM

Leo, I'm with you, I'd really like to see Round 2 bring back both the 4070A and the Transtar II cabovers.

#19 borz666

borz666

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Full Name:Chris

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:50 PM

I too would love them to re-release them but I think mobeius may have something to say about that.

I hope I'm wrong

#20 mackinac359

mackinac359

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:03 PM

AMT/Round 2 also has a license for International kits - not just Moebius. They still have the Transtar 4300 Eagle kit available.

Tim