#1 Dyno Davo

Dyno Davo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Full Name:David Loye

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:16 AM

Hi everyone, this is the Monogram (you know the ugly kits in the flat boxes) 32 Drag Devil. I tried to build it box stock but there were some annoying things that just needed fixing so I tried to find a happy medium, see if you can spot the changes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 BOSWELL891

BOSWELL891

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Full Name:Cole Boswell

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:57 AM

Nice work

#3 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,524 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:59 AM

Absolutely beautiful job on this completely obsolete kit, by far the nicest build of this I've ever seen. I notice the spun alloy moon discs, the rear knockoffs, better taillights I think, a filled grille insert (instead of the ribbed kit part) , tubing headers ( the right number too, 3 instead of 4 per side) and carb stacks, a push bar and it looks like a rolled rear pan. Plus of course plug wires and much better rad hoses coming out the center of the heads. What am I missing?

Beautiful job on filling the body seams too, the paint, and on making the hard-plastic two piece-tires look tread-worn.

This shows conclusively that a careful builder with an eye for detail can make an outstandingly attractive model from the simplest of kits. Great work.

PS....nice job on the taped headlights too, instead of the kit decals.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy, 20 July 2012 - 09:31 AM.

#4 heatride

heatride

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Dykes

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:14 AM

Love it ! Really nice ......

#5 2002p51

2002p51

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Full Name:Drew

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:48 AM

Very nice take on a kit that got many of us started in this goofy hobby! :lol:

#6 Dyno Davo

Dyno Davo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Full Name:David Loye

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

Absolutely beautiful job on this completely obsolete kit, by far the nicest build of this I've ever seen. I notice the spun alloy moon discs, the rear knockoffs, better taillights I think, a filled grille insert (instead of the ribbed kit part) , tubing headers ( the right number too, 3 instead of 4 per side) and carb stacks, a push bar and it looks like a rolled rear pan. Plus of course plug wires and much better rad hoses coming out the center of the heads. What am I missing?

Beautiful job on filling the body seams too, the paint, and on making the hard-plastic two piece-tires look tread-worn.

This shows conclusively that a careful builder with an eye for detail can make an outstandingly attractive model from the simplest of kits. Great work.

PS....nice job on the taped headlights too, instead of the kit decals.

Thanks for the kind compliments guys. William you pretty much nailed it with the exception of non-kit cylinder heads. These came from all things a 1/18 scale model and they sorta looked reasonably right given these Monogram kits were probably more 1/20 scale(ish)

#7 FordRodnKustom

FordRodnKustom

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Savoie

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:47 AM

NICE! Great nostalgia build.

#8 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,617 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:50 AM

You did a great job with that old kit. It's nice to see these old kits built up so good.