#21 gasser59

gasser59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts
  • Full Name:Brad Norgaard

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

Spent a good part of both days at the bench and have gotten quite a bit done. Still some weathering to do and some touch up here and there but for the most part the chassis, cab, engine and interior are done. I put a wooden parts box along with some wheel chocks and an old paint can under the front seat since it makes such a great storage space. The seat covering was an experiment and I'm happy with the results. I used a fabric from a T bag, seems appropriate since this is a Model 'T', that was adhered underneath and painted over it with a several rattle can colors, then dull coated it. Now I'm finally able to move onto the living quarters, which was the reason I wanted to do this build in the first place.

A bit of the stuff I've done is I had to make the headlight lens because one of mine was missing plus they were too thick and distorted anyway. Luckily, a hole punch was just the right diameter so I used a scrap clear clam shell package, scribed some equal distance lines on it with the back of my X-Acto blade and punched them out. I made the engine crank handle with piano wire and carved an actual piece of basswood for the grip. Made a windshield wiper and motor. More clear clam shell for the windshield, its a bit ripply but that looks correct for this vehicle. The radiator cap is waiting for some brass paint which I can't seem to find in my stash at the moment. Plugs are wired and radiator hoses are in. I also made a muffler out of aluminum tubing to replace the klunky kit one.

Here's a few pics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As always, thanks for your interest and comments welcome.

Edited by gasser59, 06 August 2012 - 04:23 AM.

#22 Gluhead

Gluhead

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Full Name:It really is Gluhead

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:24 PM

I tend to skip commenting on things I like the majority of the time. There's a lot that I see on this board that I like. But then there are things that I really like a lot. I'm compelled to comment. Cool project!

#23 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,418 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:58 AM

You are making good steady progress.

#24 rustybill1960

rustybill1960

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts
  • Full Name:Russell Poland

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:39 PM

:D
Sweet build so far !!
I love what your doing too!!
Thank You for sharing Man!!
Watching for sure!!
Later
Russ
;)

#25 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,818 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:43 PM

Most impressive, my friend.

Looking great!

B)

#26 kenb

kenb

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Bryller

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:03 AM

I like this, got a lot of good building tips and ideas from you. I was just wondering, you said you made the spindles from 1/16 and 1/8 aluminum tubing. Could you tell me how you joined the two pieces. I'm thinking super glue? I've tried to make spindles like that and they always seemed fragile. Ken

#27 gasser59

gasser59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:32 AM

Thanks for the kind words Ken. Yes, the spindles can be flimsy and here's how I built these. For the vertical piece, I insert the 1/16th tubing inside of the 1/8 tubing and also use a piece of wire insulation to help take up some of the slack so the pin can be a smaller diameter. For the actual spindle, I drill a hole through both pieces of tubing for a piece of .033 piano wire that glues into this hole and then a 1/16th tubing is glued over the wire. I use Green Label Zap-A-Gap for any connection that has metal.

For my Fiat Altered, I drew up a diagram of how I build an all metal functioning straight axle. Here it is again:

Posted Image

Hope this helps and thanks for your interest.

#28 Ira

Ira

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,318 posts
  • Full Name:Ira Dahm

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:37 AM

VERY REALISTIC!!!

Nice detailing too... B)

#29 gasser59

gasser59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

A bit more done and the interior is just starting to take shape. I used basswood for the counters that was laminated with thin veneer strips of wood from cigar wrappers. Searched and searched for just the right thing for a suitable sink and ended up using a metal capacitor, or whatever it is, from an old electrical component/circuit board. Fabricated a faucet from scrap pieces of metal. Need to make one more leg for the sink side of the cabinet and then I'll see what stain I have in the garage. Still looking through all of my odds and ends to make an authentic looking wood stove.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Someone please tell me what this thing is called.
Posted Image

That's it for now. Stay tuned and thanks for your interest and comments.

Edited by gasser59, 11 August 2012 - 07:36 AM.

#30 gasser59

gasser59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:22 AM

Seems there's not much progress but I have been busy making all of the interior components. The cast iron stove was a bit of a challenge because I couldn't find the basic barrel shape of your typical pot bellied stove so I made one similar to one I used to have from wood, styrene, aluminum sheet and tubing. The legs are made from doll house supplies from the LHS. The wainscoating was made on the computer and printed on card stock. Its just sitting in position for the pictures. It'll have the horizontal top piece when finished. Putting in the wainscoating sure made the interior look so much better and period correct.

Still working out the floor covering and may just end up making an image on the computer and again printing it on card stock.

Posted Image

Again, thanks for your interest and following along. Comments welcomed and encouraged.

Edited by gasser59, 16 August 2012 - 07:23 AM.

#31 Art Laski

Art Laski

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  • Full Name:Art Laski

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:39 AM

I love the details, Brad. Awesome work! Your diorama skills are showing through on this build!

-Art

#32 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,418 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:16 AM

I think Pat Covert would smile if he ever go on there and saw this. It's looking great. Those interior details are perfect.

#33 vintagedragfan

vintagedragfan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Davis

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:26 PM

nice work Brad, uh.......... but you might want to talk to your insurace comapany, they might frown on the wood stove in there ;)

#34 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

that thing you are trying to identify is an electrolytic capacitor that has been cut in half.

#35 bryan_m

bryan_m

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts
  • Full Name:Bryan Mccallum

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:42 PM

that thing you are trying to identify is an electrolytic capacitor that has been cut in half.

ya beat me to it mike......... yepper, thats a capacitor. nice use of "found" parts........ i have a hard time throwing anything electronic away, before i tear it apart to see whats in there i can use!

beautiful work, keep it goin, and virgil is right, pat covert would be grinnin from ear to ear!
cheers
bryan

#36 Alyn

Alyn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:48 PM

great work so far, especially on the wood work.

Make sure to knock the charge of that capacitor, otherwise you little 1:24 will get shocked when they wash their hands :o

#37 gasser59

gasser59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:47 AM

Thanks for all of the comments guys and also for letting me know that is a capacitor. I'm sure it was completely discharged as it was in my metal parts bin for over 15 years. I'll have more updates soon so stay tuned.

Edited by gasser59, 17 August 2012 - 04:47 AM.

#38 Tom Setzer

Tom Setzer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Full Name:Thomas J.C. Setzer

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:36 AM

I always like see something different someone is building, and I realy like what you have done with this build!
I will keep watching this build!

Edited by Tom Setzer, 17 August 2012 - 05:38 AM.

#39 John Pol

John Pol

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • Full Name:John Pol

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:44 AM

Thanks for the kind words Ken. Yes, the spindles can be flimsy and here's how I built these. For the vertical piece, I insert the 1/16th tubing inside of the 1/8 tubing and also use a piece of wire insulation to help take up some of the slack so the pin can be a smaller diameter. For the actual spindle, I drill a hole through both pieces of tubing for a piece of .033 piano wire that glues into this hole and then a 1/16th tubing is glued over the wire. I use Green Label Zap-A-Gap for any connection that has metal.

For my Fiat Altered, I drew up a diagram of how I build an all metal functioning straight axle. Here it is again:

Posted Image

Hope this helps and thanks for your interest.

Is this all Brass or Aluninium tubbing your using. Great job so far love the old cars.

John Pol

#40 gasser59

gasser59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:44 AM

John - its all aluminum tubing and I polish the axle and ends before assembly so they look chrome. Thanks for the comments.