#21 Modelmartin

Modelmartin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts
  • Full Name:Martin, Andrew O.

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:00 AM

I have sold off a lot of kits in the last few years. I am down to about 400+. I do know one guy who has about 2500. He just likes to have them around!

If some is good and more is better, than too much is just enough!!!

#22 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:27 AM

Carl, that's like asking how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? The world may never know......

#23 mademan

mademan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Mathers

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:29 AM

IM probly sitting around 500 unbuilt kits and another 100 or so started projects/ bought builtups that are for re-doing. im bad for buying a case or 2 of kits that I like, the new revell 2010 Camaro, and Lowrider cadillac, etc.

#24 Olskoolrodder

Olskoolrodder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Full Name:Stephen Sammons

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:43 AM

Here's the formula for how many NIB or otherwise unbuilt (or rebuildable) kits one needs...N + 1 = Y,with "N" being the current number of kits presently in your stash already,and "Y" being the number of kits your stash needs to be complete. I short,regardless of how many kits you have,you always need one more. You can tell your wife that Olkoolrodder said so,and it's ok,he's a professional (notice I didn't say professional "what" :P ),and after she stops yelling or laughing (depending on her disposition),don't feel too badly,it didn't work on my wife neither :lol:

Seriously,though... had a several hundred kit stash before we had a house fire last year-while that was probably (most assuredly,actually) more kits than I'd ever build,it's hard to not buy something when you see it,knowing you'd enjoy building it because if you don't get it,sooner or later (assuming you still want it) you'll end up having issue finding a copy,and then pay too much for it on eBay or similiar. Also,I like to have a few extra kits laying around because one never knows when brother-in-plastic will have life jump up and bite em hard (like our fire last year),and I like to be able to help out (I can say with much admiration and appreciation that model building internet friends went way above friendship when we lost everything,sending anything frm money to help cover motel expenses,to clothing for us and the kids,and once settled later,lots of kits and supplies to build them with),besides that there's always more tha one way to build any given kit,and parts in every new kit box that would be just perfect for that other project.....

There has to be a fine line somewhere though,or oe could wind up overflowing their space to store,or even become obssessive with "the hunt" for the next kit buy I can't say what that line would be for ANYone (even myself,it seems :P ). Some people are perfectly happy owning one or two,including current WIP's,some people get their joy looking at a vast collection just waiting to be built,it's really a personal call. Does one HAVE TO HAVE the latest kits coming out (or that elusive hard to find NIB classic) sitting in their stash to be happy or a part of the community? No,but it can be fun to do so and there's nothing wrong with that either,IMHO.

#25 tubbs

tubbs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts
  • Full Name:Al Matheny

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:28 AM

well, what is the definition of "stash". there are very few kits i build straight out of the box. for instance, i have at least 20 or so of the pro mod cars, as soon as i get them, the body goes here, all the chassis goes here, decals and engine over here..... so, if you are looking at just boxed kits, maybe 150, if i sort out all my parts...... over 200. to me, thats enough.

also, i am not a collector, nor do i turn kits over for profit, i plan on building every one. if i collected........ forget about it!

so fellow modelers, on a side bar, how many in your stash do you have no real intensions on building?

#26 91blaze

91blaze

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Full Name:John Shull

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:40 AM

I only have about 10 or 15 kits at the moment. I have hundreds of models that I want to build but the kits get expensive and I have other things to spend money on. Most of that goes to my actual car, the "money pit".

Edited by 91blaze, 24 July 2012 - 08:56 AM.

#27 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:43 AM

I have about 50 Cobra kits that I will never build and only about a half dozen kits that I plan to build in the near future.

#28 FatManScaleDesigns

FatManScaleDesigns

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Full Name:ALBERTO PEREZ

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:13 AM

I have about 40 kits and around 100 built. I just started back in the hobby, sold my fishing boat and went a little buy happy. now the stuff I don't want, I am stuck trading for ones I do want but its all in good fun

#29 rel14

rel14

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Full Name:Randy Layman

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:49 AM

I do 99% sratch building, and i need more parts then kits,, I use the body frame, and the rest is put aside,, last count was 40 plus kits..

#30 Tom Setzer

Tom Setzer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Full Name:Thomas J.C. Setzer

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

I lost evrything when our home burned down in May! I had over 200 kits when the fire distroyed them! I am now living with my Wife, two Daughters, my Grandson, and two large Dogs in two Motel Rooms, waiting for the Insuraunce to settle. I have 15 kits already and no place to work on them. I just can't resist Coupons plus model kits!

#31 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,981 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

I only buy kits with the intention on building them

#32 Pete J.

Pete J.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  • Full Name:Pete Johnson

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

I only buy kits with the intention on building them

Same here. Only thing is I have well over 400 I intend to build. I am not a collector, I am not a collector, I just have wide interests! :blink: :wacko: :unsure: :D

#33 TooOld

TooOld

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Spedding

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

I just got back into the hobby last November and had around 35 - 40 kits that had been boxed up for 30 years . In eight months It has grown to 147 kits , with five more currently on order !

How did this happen ? ?

#34 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,981 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

Same here. Only thing is I have well over 400 I intend to build. I am not a collector, I am not a collector, I just have wide interests! :blink: :wacko: :unsure: :D

We all say that we all we intend to build every kit we buy, but then we just keep buying more and more kits.

#35 Austin T

Austin T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts
  • Full Name:Austin Tyler

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

I just got back into the hobby last November and had around 35 - 40 kits that had been boxed up for 30 years . In eight months It has grown to 147 kits , with five more currently on order !

How did this happen ? ?

You have the bug,that's how it happened.Don't feel bad,every time I go to a show I fill the trunk of the car and empty my wallet.

#36 Fat Brian

Fat Brian

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Croft

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

I probably have around 200 kits in boxes but I have a stash of parts from several hundred kits I've bought, parted out, and disposed of or traded parts of the rest. I gave away at least a third of my buildable kits to make space a while back, it was a sad day, I needed those kits.

#37 Green Duster

Green Duster

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Kaplan

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

I have about 160 unbuilt. Thats enough for me right now. Tommorow it could be more. Yes more! I'm running
out of room for the built ones. I'm very selective. I only build Mopars in general. Out of all mine. There is a
handfull of brand X.

#38 Olskoolrodder

Olskoolrodder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Full Name:Stephen Sammons

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

I lost evrything when our home burned down in May! I had over 200 kits when the fire distroyed them! I am now living with my Wife, two Daughters, my Grandson, and two large Dogs in two Motel Rooms, waiting for the Insuraunce to settle. I have 15 kits already and no place to work on them. I just can't resist Coupons plus model kits!

MAN I feel for you!!! June of 2011 that's EXACTLY what happened to us,only it was just the wife me and 2 kids in the friggin motel :( It DOES ge better,especially when the insurance finally pays up (if you have Allstate,don't expect them to do you any favors,or even hurry though,LOL,cause if you do,you AIN'T in good hands)

You have our thoughts and prayers,my friend!

#39 JunkPile

JunkPile

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Full Name:Chuck Saxton

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

It is just so much easier to buy them than to build them is my formula for aquiring a stash

#40 Tom Setzer

Tom Setzer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Full Name:Thomas J.C. Setzer

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

MAN I feel for you!!! June of 2011 that's EXACTLY what happened to us,only it was just the wife me and 2 kids in the friggin motel :( It DOES ge better,especially when the insurance finally pays up (if you have Allstate,don't expect them to do you any favors,or even hurry though,LOL,cause if you do,you AIN'T in good hands)

You have our thoughts and prayers,my friend!

Thank You for the kind words!