#21 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,707 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:34 AM

IIRC, Monogram did only Snap Tites of 3rd gen Camaros in 1:24th, while their Firebirds of that era were full-detail. There was also another Snap Tite issue of an '82 before the S&S version, also in red on the box art?

I've never had any of the Monogram 3rd gen Camaros, but have all the MPC/AMT ones in my stash...may have to pick up the reissue.

#22 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:34 AM

Here's a good look at a built up built by Lawrence/Scuderia:

http://www.modelcars...showtopic=61649

#23 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts
  • Full Name:Dave isle

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:38 AM

I don't know a ton about these cars but I do know my Camaro. My brother bought it brand new in 86 it was the new 87s. I got the car five years later. it is the original 305 TBI with dual snorkels. I know a friend with a 90 and that is TPI. Single snorkel

#24 Hawk312

Hawk312

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Full Name:David Eicherly

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:07 AM

There was also another Snap Tite issue of an '82 before the S&S version, also in red on the box art?

Yep, I have one here somewhere. I`ll see if I can find it and snap a pic. I like the front end on this one much better than the `85 (the `82 has the "Camaro" lettering in the front center and the two fog lights on either side) , and it looks as though it will build up pretty convincingly for a Snap kit.

#25 Hawk312

Hawk312

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:40 AM

Sorry guys, it is actually an `83 that I have. I`ll post pics below. I posted pictures of the body cause I thought it was interesting that the engine bay and inner fenders are molded as a separate piece.....and this is a snap kit!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#26 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

Ya that 83 kit has the crossfire 305. Wasn't there a third gen camaro that was blue and wasn't ever a snap kit?

#27 camarofreak82_427

camarofreak82_427

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Full Name:brandan pyles

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

I,love that 83 hawk. Ive had 6 third gen camaros my fave cars of all time im probaby gunna stock up on them. I wish they had a berlinetta so i could build a replica of my sport coupe

#28 Hawk312

Hawk312

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

Not sure if this helps camarofreak, but every now and then I see this kit come up on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/...1-/140667097140

Posted Image

#29 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

I picked up this kit today I will write a review and snap a few picture once i get home

#30 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:09 PM

I was in the hobby shop last night and picked up this kit. I have never owned this kit before but I do know that it used to be a snap kit. Upon opening the box this is what your greeted with. Posted Image
Looking the parts over there is very little flash and I found only one sink mark which was on the roof that needs to be filled. I did some pre-assembly to check out a few things the parts fit well together with the exception of the hood to the body.
Posted Image
As you can see the hood was a little warped but it is easily fixed.

Over all I give this kit a B+ it will be a fast fun build. the reason it only got a B+ are #1 I think revell should of offered a second set of Z28 decals in another color. #2 I think the tires are a bit undersized Posted Image tomorrow I'm
going to measure the distance from the tire to wheel well on my third gen to see how far off.
lastly the part count brings down the overall grade.
One last opinion this would be a great kit for the young model builder who wants to move up from snap kits. This is exactly what I'm going to do with my gf's son.

For awhile there this generation was missing from the shelves. You could buy a 1st.,2nd.,4th. & 5th. Revell brought this kit back to fill the gap and I am very glad they did!

#31 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

Nice to see it's molded in white this time. I'm thinking one of these would look good w/ a set of 19 inch Pegasus IROKs...

#32 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

One last opinion this would be a great kit for the young model builder who wants to move up from snap kits. This is exactly what I'm going to do with my gf's son.

Bingo. It's half a step above a Revell SnapTite kit, but half a step below a Monogram Basic Builder kit.

Are the brown/gold stripes again the only colors offered?

#33 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,498 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

Bingo. It's half a step above a Revell SnapTite kit, but half a step below a Monogram Basic Builder kit.

Are the brown/gold stripes again the only colors offered?

I remember a black Z28 around here with gold stripes and that light golden-brown interior. Very sharp car.

I think I might build mine like that.

Charlie Larkin

#34 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

Yes the gold/brown stripes are the only ones offered. Which makes it really hard when you want to paint it a light color.

Edited by mnwildpunk, 23 October 2012 - 07:45 PM.

#35 Roadkill2525

Roadkill2525

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Full Name:You know what it is.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

I'm trying to remember the eighties Camaro timeline, my friend had an 86 Z-28 and it had a TPI 305. I believe that the 350 TPI was introduced in 87.

There were 1000 '86 IROC Z with the 350 TPI & 700R4 made for private sales.

My '86 IROC, 305 TPI with 700R4. 418,xxx miles on it.

Posted Image

#36 Dragline

Dragline

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Frias

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:18 AM

For 6 years I owned an 86 IROC with a 350 and TPI. Also was a manual with T-tops. I was told it was not a common car back then. Sold it to my brother who had it 3 years then he sold it to some Portuguese guy who owns it to this day. If I go home to New Bedford and it's a sunny day it will be out in his carport. That dark blue paint looks like the day I got it and I think it's wearing the second set of tires my brother bought for it.

I did the chip thing for it but that is the only mod I ever did to it. My guess is it has less than 100,000 on it.

Bob

#37 Scuderia

Scuderia

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • Full Name:Lawrence Greene

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:53 AM

Yeah the one I built was molded in Yellow which was a bit of a pain.. The white mold will be much easier this time. It was fun and I'll def. do another soon. Maybe try the Monte engine swap.

#38 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

Good idea on swapping a monte engine in

#39 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

Ya that 83 kit has the crossfire 305. Wasn't there a third gen camaro that was blue and wasn't ever a snap kit?

This one?:

Posted Image

#40 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

This one?:

Neat..don't think I've ever seen that kit. I did build the Revell '82 Firebird S/E kit as a kid, was molded in a dark brick red. Probably a similar kit to this.

I like the MPC (later AMT) '82-92 kits, and also have the AMT '82 that was reissued in the last decade.

Edited by Rob Hall, 24 October 2012 - 12:22 PM.