7 replies to this topic

#1 58 Impala

58 Impala

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:24 AM

Quick question, is it necessary to put a silver base coat under Testors One coat metallics?

#2 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,625 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:19 AM

Absolutely NOT. BUT, as the color IS translucent, the primer or basecoat color WILL effect the final color. A white primer or basecoat will brighten the final color, for instance.

Also some of the "One Coat" colors really aren't. The "Flaming Orange" takes 4 coats to achieve full hiding, for instance.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy, 27 July 2012 - 01:20 AM.

#3 Guest_Darkside Customs_*

Guest_Darkside Customs_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:35 AM

Bill is right, it's not necessary... I do, just because it's out of habit, but I usually use a silver base coat for candies more than anything.... And it depends on the color of primer you use as a base for the one coats...

#4 Fat Brian

Fat Brian

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Croft

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:39 AM

I used an orange base under the flaming orange and got a decent result with one coat but, they really need a base coat of some kind but silver isn't the only option. I would go for a base that is a shade or two lighter than the one coat color you want, that will most likely get you single coat coverage and brighten the color.

#5 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,625 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:00 AM

I used an orange base under the flaming orange and got a decent result with one coat but, they really need a base coat of some kind but silver isn't the only option. I would go for a base that is a shade or two lighter than the one coat color you want, that will most likely get you single coat coverage and brighten the color.

Brian's right, the basecoat will have a large effect on the final color. Silver base tends to "gray" the topcoat. White will brighten it, as will very light yellow. I was recently running out of Flaming Orange and shot a couple of panels to hiding with Fiery Orange, and 2 topcoats of Flaming Orange. There was a noticeable difference in the final color, and the Flaming Orange shot over white primer really popped and flashed, while the other was just a tad dark.

I should have defined what I mean by "full coverage" better. Professional painters often use "hiding cards" to determine how many coats it takes of a particular color to achieve full hiding. This is important in the body shop biz because it effects the blend procedure during paint-matching on adjacent panels. A "hiding card" is simply a black-and-white printed checkerboard on solvent-resistant cardstock. It takes 4 coats of the "one coat" Flaming Orange to be unable the distinguish the pattern through the paint, or to achieve "full hiding".

#6 Fat Brian

Fat Brian

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Croft

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

The problem I was having was that the fiery orange was so thin that by the time the panels were covered well so much paint was against the trim it made a darker outline around eveything. What I did was shoot a coat of regular testors orange and once that had dried for an hour or so I shot a coat of the fiery orange over it almost like clear coat, thick enough to get even flake coverage but thin enough not to run. If you want a neat effect try the same thing over bright red, you get an orange top coat but this red peeks out in the light.

#7 58 Impala

58 Impala

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

Thank for all the tips. I've shot mettalics,pearls and candies. Most of those need a base of some kind. I bought several cans of One Coat and didn't want to waste paint or ruin a paint job and have to use the purple bath.:)

#8 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,625 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:10 PM

Brian, thanks for the tip on the metallic orange over the red. I'm going to HAVE to try that.